Options

Republican Nominee 2012 thread

AdsAds Posts: 37,062
Forum Member
Isn't it about time we had a decided thread to discuss the race to become the Republican nominee? (apologies if I have missed an already started thread!).

My thoughts on the main candidates so far

Michelle Buchanan - Way too much baggage to make the nominee - plus her private sector experience is very limited. She will get Tea Party support to keep her in the running though.

Mitt Romney - Probably the most moderate choice, but am not sure he will make it - seems to win the nominee its more about appealing to the GOP base, rather than what your appeal is to independent voters.

Rick Parry - massive build up from the press, need to see more of him before I can pass judgement.

Ron Paul - I like Ron Paul - his political way of thinking is becoming more and more relevant. He has no chance of being nominee but can add lots to the debate.

Sarah Palin - Will she or won't she? If the Buchanan wagon keeps on rolling I think she will have to sit this one out.

Newt Gringitch - comes across as a really vile person. Will attract a certain sort of GOP voter I guess, i.e. the racist, homophobic ones.

Tim Pawlenty - Appears to be crashing and burning

Rick Satorum - Little of chance of getting the nomination but maybe has a chance of getting the VP nomination if he can keep on going.

Comments

• Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Gary Johnson would be my choice - but for the past year I have been saying that the nominee will be Rick Perry and I have yet to see anything to make me think otherwise.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,152
    Forum Member
    Reading about Parry he doesn't sound much better then Bachmann. Although I want the Democrats to win if the had to be the Republicans then Romney would probably be the best choice
  • Options
    Mr PerksMr Perks Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Michelle Bachmann is the best they can find, then Obama must be laughing his head off. On hearing she had won the Iowa (probably massively unstatistically correct) straw poll, did she reiterate policies? Did she make any policy comments, pointing to future campaign themes? No, she just screamed that Obama will be a one-term president, which is the main Tea Party policy. Nothing to do with anything that matters but to do with one person who has made two colossal mistakes, in their eyes - he is left of centre, by their standards, and he has the the sheer brazen gall to be a black president - does he not know his place?
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Mr Perks wrote: »
    If Michelle Bachmann is the best they can find, then Obama must be laughing his head off. On hearing she had won the Iowa (probably massively unstatistically correct) straw poll, did she reiterate policies? Did she make any policy comments, pointing to future campaign themes? No, she just screamed that Obama will be a one-term president, which is the main Tea Party policy. Nothing to do with anything that matters but to do with one person who has made two colossal mistakes, in their eyes - he is left of centre, by their standards, and he has the the sheer brazen gall to be a black president - does he not know his place?

Michelle Bachmann is hilarious - Cruella de Ville is who she reminds me of.

The thought that Iowa Republicans think this woman with her extreme views (and her hubby who tries to convert gays) is a potential President - well I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

At least Ron Paul has a coherent policy platform - some of it quite sensible (e.g. if you don't go around killing people in the middle east they wont want to kill you).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Whoops apologies for completely misspelling Bachmann's surname in my original post! It was done in a bit of a rush....

She makes good tv but really hasn't the substance to be the nominee. I imagine the GOP party machine will start setting the attack dogs onto her if she starts looking like she might be in within a chance.
  • Options
    humptymcnumptyhumptymcnumpty Posts: 928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It may surprise some to know that I do not really want to see a Republican president in the white house after the next elections. However if they do win I hope it is with a candidate with a lot more sense than Dubya Bush.
  • Options
    nainznainz Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pawlenty has withdrawn.

Paul continues to be ingnored by the media, polling a high second in Iowa and topping the poll in the 3rd debate. Yet the talinkgs head still ignore him. He'll contimue to be a spoiler till the end.

Palin, Buchanan and Parry are in a dogfight for the right and are Romney's main competition. They can win the nomination but would get destroyed in the general.

Johnson, Gringitch, Santorum and Cain have little traction and will drop out sooner than later as the money dries up.

Huntsman had the chance to stake a claim to the middle ground but fluffed it in the 3rd debate and will be chewed up by the right by the time the nom is chosen.

Rommney will win the nom. But still lose the general.

The republicans are really in danger of tearing themselves apart in this cycle and I'm not sure they can see it coming.

I'm gonna say it's gonna be a Rommney/Johnson ticket for 2012.
  • Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nainz wrote: »

Rommney will win the nom.

Cant see it - Mitt still has the same problem he had last time - the Mormonism. Also Perry beat Romney in the Iowa straw poll and he (Perry) wasn't even on the ticket.

It will be a fight between Perry and Obama and the focus will be on the economy - if it improves in the next year Obama should win, if it doesn't then Perry's better record could swing it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    It has to be Rick Perry.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meilie wrote: »
    It has to be Rick Perry.
    Palin and Bachmann in a suit - and is GWB's replacement as Texas governor.

The Republicans are in a bind - the candidate who could beat Obama, Romney, is the one who the Tea Baggers & Righteous won't want as he's "liberal" and "not Christian". Yet the ones the Tea Baggers would pick - Bachmann, Palin, Perry - are barking mad even by the standards of US politics & hence don't even appeal to "liberal" Republicans, let alone independents or disaffected Democrats.

I think it's time for a 3rd Way candidate - someone like that nice Nehemiah Scudder
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    nainz wrote: »
    Pawlenty has withdrawn.

Paul continues to be ingnored by the media, polling a high second in Iowa and topping the poll in the 3rd debate. Yet the talinkgs head still ignore him. He'll contimue to be a spoiler till the end.

I'm gonna say it's gonna be a Rommney/Johnson ticket for 2012.

Do you mean Boris Johnson?:D

The former Governor of New Mexico (Gary Johnson) is still in the race but has no chance in my view - he is too libertarian and has no support in the polls.

Personally I know think as you say it is between Perry and Romney now - Bachmann may do well in Iowa but she won't be seen as a credible nominee so won't make it to the end.

Still - no votes will be cast in any real primaries or caucuses for another 5 months. So a lot can happen!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great thread, Ads. Some interesting comment's here. The majority of the candidates - if not all have a signifcant degree of social conservative views, even so called moderates, such as Perry and Romney who have a very fixed view on issues. The only candidate I give time to (and I disagree with a some of his views notably abortion) is Ron Paul. He has a real clarity, and fire to his largely common sense views (save on abortion). Bachmann is just Sarah Palin MK II, and is divise for all the wrong reasons. I agree with Majlis when he/she says Perry will win the nomination - for his economic record, as well as the fact he's a evangelical in contrast to Mormon Romney.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I have only one word to describe the lot of them: FREAKS!

God help us all if any of them ever got within a sniff of the Whitehouse, perhaps Romney excepted. The rest need certifying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Meilie wrote: »
    It has to be Rick Perry.

Really it doesn't:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/aug/14/pass-notes-rick-perry

Massive, scary freak.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God help us all if any of them ever got within a sniff of the Whitehouse, perhaps Romney excepted. The rest need certifying.
    When a Mormon is the "normal candidate" you really have to worry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    even so called moderates, such as Perry and Romney
    Perry, moderate? Are we talking about the same guy - he was a Tea bagger before Tea Bagging was invented.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member

I don't think he's a massive scary freak. He got Texas back on its feet after the recession and if Perry can replicate that success nationwide then little else matters, in my opinion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Perry, moderate?
    I didn't say I though he was moderate I said he was a ''so-called moderate'' (as in, I've heard others refer to him as a ''moderate''.) There's a difference.
  • Options
    PlatinumStevePlatinumSteve Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Romney or Perry would be my chosen candidates. Bachmann is foolish, but either of the two guys would put the country back on the right path.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't say I though he was moderate I said he was a ''so-called moderate'' (as in, I've heard others refer to him as a ''moderate''.) There's a difference.
    Who is stupid enough to refer to him as a "moderate"?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Romney or Perry would be my chosen candidates. Bachmann is foolish, but either of the two guys would put the country back on the right path.
    Perry is Bachmann in a suit. The only advantage he has over her is that he doesn't have to do what his spouse tells him to do - only what God is telling him to do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    When a Mormon is the "normal candidate" you really have to worry.

Quite! :D
  • Options
    PlatinumStevePlatinumSteve Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perry is Bachmann in a suit. The only advantage he has over her is that he doesn't have to do what his spouse tells him to do - only what God is telling him to do.

Not really. I think your judgment is clouded and you paint anyone who expresses their faith publicly with the same brush.

Rick Perry has won re-election to the office of Governor twice in Texas, a huge diverse state. Of course Ron Paul is the ultimate candidate to challenge Obama all the young people love him, but he'd never be allowed to get the nomination.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not really. I think your judgment is clouded and you paint anyone who expresses their faith publicly with the same brush.

Rick Perry has won re-election to the office of Governor twice in Texas, a huge diverse state. Of course Ron Paul is the ultimate candidate to challenge Obama all the young people love him, but he'd never be allowed to get the nomination.

Anyone who supports the teaching of 'intelligent design' in schools is a nutjob.