Did you suffer psychological damage when you found out that Santa didn't exist?

2»

Comments

• soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My brother and I worked it out at quite a young age but enjoyed the amusement of our parents continuing the pretence each year.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had my suspicions early on when Santa's beard was held on by sellotape and his breath smelled of whisky at a Christmas treat run by the local social club.
  • bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »
    I had my suspicions early on when Santa's beard was held on by sellotape and his breath smelled of whisky at a Christmas treat run by the local social club.

You would drink too if you had to deliver toys all around the world in one night.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't remember being devastated, but I do remember my older brother telling me it was Dad and not Santa.

My daughter still believes, and possibly may always as she has learning difficulties, I'm quite happy to go along with it as long as she takes pleasure from Santa's existence. She is well aware, however, that people also dress up as Santa (as he's way too busy to do it all ;)), and finds that great fun too. Last year at her Xmas Fayre she went into Santa's grotto, sat down next to him all excited, heard him say 'Hello Laura' and said back, 'Hello Adrian' (her music teacher :D)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mum and dad always said Santa gave us a stocking and one main pressie, but he collected all the gifts from family to give to us. Plus, you never see the real Santa, the endless ones at school, shopping malls, etc are just santas helpers...if you see the real one you get a sack full of coal! Hence then not trying to stay awake to hear him coming! Well thought out lie by my parents!
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    Like many on here I worked it out. I can remember mild dissapointment the first Christmas after I found out, but I think the emotion went

No Santa:-(
    Oooh look, a train set :-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    Santa's greatest trick was convincing the world he doesn't exist. :p

Agree'd.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,246
    Forum Member
    No! I was relieved - discovering my lack of presents was just another aspect of my mother was much better than thinking Santa didn't come because I'd been bad.

Much as I love the idea of Father Christmas and keeping kids under the spell for as long as possible, I can't help but still think of the kids out there who don't get presents and how their young minds interpret that :( Sorry - bit melancholy I know!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    Janey_Bee wrote: »
    I don't think I ever believed in Father Christmas (no Americans in my house!), but I pretended I did, as it was a nice game and felt like a kind of "in joke" with my mum. I was far too logical as a 5 year old, seeing relatives names on labels kind of gave it away, we also didn't have a chimney, plus the fact we were quite poor and only got one present each. At 8, my half-sister was born, so I got to keep on pretending for her sake. Even when she was a teenager we still did the 'mince pie and brandy, and a carrot for Rudolph' charade. No-one still believed, but it was the spirit of the thing...which is what was important, to me :)

I dont believe you,i think you are deluding yourself,unless you grew up in china...then big deal. :D
  • WombatDeathWombatDeath Posts: 4,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My only regret at not having children is that I can't tell them that a fat old man will sneak into their room one night and judge them.
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A teacher at our primary school got suspended for telling a class of eight and nine year olds that it was about time they grew up and stopped believing in stuff like that. This is how our class found out although some did kind of figure it out already it wasn't her place to say such a thing. It was a horrible school full of horrible teachers.
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't remember how I found out he wasn't real so it can't have been traumatic!
    I had to have a chat with my son back in September as he was starting senior school and was still a believer which is unusual at 11 but he's the sort to believe anything you tell him and would still have believed in father christmas when he was 20 probably, I would have liked to have got another magical christmas with him but I was worried about all the little arses at school that would think it cool to pick on him because of it so I had a chat and told him the presents were from me and his dad. He was cool with it, no trauma and was happy that he'd still be getting an ipod touch.
  • thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madamfluff wrote: »
    Yeah I know - to hear it on a discussion board is so cruel the OP should have put a spoiler on his post - cant stop crying now :cry:

Next someone is going to tell me the tooth fairy does not exist
    and the easter bunny and the sandman - am crushed beyond belief

I found out that Father Christmas and the Tooth Fairy didn't exist on the same Christmas Eve, both because I laid traps which my parents got caught by.

It seems that people who worked it out for themselves are fine with it, and people whoo had it brutally revealed to them suffered a bit more?
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found out that Father Christmas and the Tooth Fairy didn't exist on the same Christmas Eve, both because I laid traps which my parents got caught by.

It seems that people who worked it out for themselves are fine with it, and people whoo had it brutally revealed to them suffered a bit more?

I'm sorry? The tooth fairy isn't real? Tell me you're lying!