Options

First burqa wearing newsreader announced

ray.ray.returnsray.ray.returns Posts: 1,005
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4441399/Burqa-clad-presenter-reads-the-news-for-a-new-TV-channel-run-entirely-by-women.html

Fantastic. Why are there none in the UK though? especially on the 'IMPARTIAL' BBC?
Must everything be done by good looking freshed faced sex kittens / stud muffins

Comments

• Options
    Ian AberdonIan Aberdon Posts: 2,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like to see my newsreaders thank you. The UK isn't a muslim state - yet.
  • Options
    ray.ray.returnsray.ray.returns Posts: 1,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like to see my newsreaders thank you. The UK isn't a muslim state - yet.

No, but surley we can have one muslim newsreader without becoming an Islamic country? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed.I want to see whos talking/informing me.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [ Why are there none in the UK though? especially on the 'IMPARTIAL' BBC?
    Maybe because

a) None has applied

b) If any have applied, none has had the necessary skills

c) The BBC does not apply positive discrimination (which, by its very nature, has to inject an element of negative discrimination into the process by discriminating against the best candidates in favour of a politically-correct candidate who may be less qualified().

Or do you want the BBC to be PC (which would no doubt enrage many, as well as those who don't feel that such apparel has a place in British society and customs)?
  • Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,088
    Forum Member
    It's a complete non issue in terms of whether we have any at the BBC or in the UK generally.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, but surley we can have one muslim newsreader without becoming an Islamic country? :rolleyes:

I would think we quite likely have some Muslim newsreaders already, they don't go around like walking tents.
  • Options
    singhss1singhss1 Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    I would think we quite likely have some Muslim newsreaders already, they don't go around like walking tents.

Michal Hussain or Riz Latif?
  • Options
    Aaron_ScotlandAaron_Scotland Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    How many staff members would the BBC need if they had to have a person from every religion to be 'Impartial' as you say.. Loads!
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John Simpson wore one once.
  • Options
    cpu121cpu121 Posts: 5,330
    Forum Member
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4441399/Burqa-clad-presenter-reads-the-news-for-a-new-TV-channel-run-entirely-by-women.html

Fantastic. Why are there none in the UK though? especially on the 'IMPARTIAL' BBC?
    Must everything be done by good looking freshed faced sex kittens / stud muffins
    So you would happily discriminate against the deaf by denying them the opportunity to lip read the newsreader?
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cpu121 wrote: »
    So you would happily discriminate against the deaf by denying them the opportunity to lip read the newsreader?

The BBC does provide signed news bulletins at various times of day and there is, of course, sub-titling.I've sometimes wondered if women wearing burqas have to lift them at security checks, otherwise it would not be possible to compare the passport photo with the bearer:confused:
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    singhss1 wrote: »
    Michal Hussain or Riz Latif?
    +Babita Sharma on BBC night news.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    The BBC does provide signed news bulletins at various times of day and there is, of course, sub-titling.I've sometimes wondered if women wearing burqas have to lift them at security checks, otherwise it would not be possible to compare the passport photo with the bearer:confused:

These days they are generally taken into a side room with a female officer, and they then lift the veil to show their face apparently.
  • Options
    redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member
    The BBC's news reports used to not allow the presenter on screen as they feared their face may show bias to one side of the story or another. Every story was read dead pan with no emotion at all and as a result had sinister overtones.
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If it's on a muslim/arabic channel or similar fine. But not on mainstream thank you very much.
    That would be my signal to leave this country.:(
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    redhatmatt wrote: »
    The BBC's news reports used to not allow the presenter on screen as they feared their face may show bias to one side of the story or another. Every story was read dead pan with no emotion at all and as a result had sinister overtones.

In the early days of BBC TV News they got round that problem by broadcasting the news in sound only:eek:I believe Kenneth Kendall was the first newsreader to actually appear in vision.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    If it's on a muslim/arabic channel or similar fine. But not on mainstream thank you very much.
    That would be my signal to leave this country.:(

Why not? Would you have similar objections if a Christian newsreader wanted to wear a cross on screen?
  • Options
    well2dowell2do Posts: 3,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not? Would you have similar objections if a Christian newsreader wanted to wear a cross on screen?

I would if it covered the head and face otherwise no.
  • Options
    JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No thanks and never please.
  • Options
    well2dowell2do Posts: 3,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There aren't any channels run entirely by women here anyway so why single out burqa wearers? and why should the BBC have one?
  • Options
    Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's a christian country. NOT A MUSLIM ONE. Nor does a cross cover your face.

In fact, Christians don't go into other countries plead their law and strut about the place like its there right to be there.
  • Options
    Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well2do wrote: »
    There aren't any channels run entirely by women here anyway so why single out burqa wearers? and why should the BBC have one?

Exactly :confused:

It isn't the MBC (Muslim Broadcasting Corporation).
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Why have a newsreader where you can't see the reader's face? :confused: What's the point? I'd rather see who's talking to me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If both BBC and ITV can recruit mere autocue readers, such as Natasha Kaplinsky, Sian Williams, Bill Turnbull, Alistair Stewart, Jill Dando etc, I am sure that they must have received applications from more competent applicants.

And, in the scheme of things, even if you take some channel for charvs, such as Sky News, I am sure that there must be more competent autocue readers than Dermot Murnaghan, Kay Burley, and even that guy who had a spat with Alistair Campbell during the 2010 General Election Coverage - Adam Boulton

Quite pathetic
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gkHwU4DRA8
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why should we celebrate sexism over free speech? Why not have a nude newsreader? At least that would be built on something true rather than the bullshit that is religion.