Options

Tottenham Hotspur Supporters Thread (Part 12)

Comments

• Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...Just seen that Kyle Walker has been named in the squad for the U21 match tonight which is good news. Could well have him back in the first team fairly soon at this rate.
    Played 67 minutes before being substituted with our other Kyle Walker in a good 2-1 win over City U21s. Could be available soon by the looks of it. Khumalo (remember him) also played his first game since recovering from a bad knee injury.
  • Options
    Knarf44Knarf44 Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U21s beat Man City 2-1 with Shaq Coulthirst scoring both and Luke Magee saving an injury time penalty. Walker played 67 mins and Khumalo (remember him) captained the side. There's a match report on the OS.

More interestingly, Poch was there to watch as were a few of the first team squad. Will be interesting to see which, if any, of those who played tonight get selected for the next EL game.

On Woodentop's comment on Lennon I'd say fair dues but remember Lennon usually only has 3 good games a season, that was his second, maybe Chelsea will be his third but he hasn't got a great record against the top sides. Also his assist for Soldado wasn't from him playing wide but from him actually cutting in towards the edge of the box. Other than that did he go past Baines at any point during the game, I honestly can't remember.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Knarf44 wrote: »
    Khumalo (remember him)...
    Snap! :D
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Judging by who turned up at the match on Twitter, it sounds like a lot of the squad could well have turned out to see Walker play by the looks of it, which is a good indicator of team spirit i think. Good win against City though as their U21 side is pretty decent as well.

If he's played 67 minutes tonight, he's obviously not going to be remotely ready for the game on Wednesday, but I'd say it'd be a good bet he'll be on the bench for Palace on Saturday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..If he's played 67 minutes tonight, he's obviously not going to be remotely ready for the game on Wednesday, but I'd say it'd be a good bet he'll be on the bench for Palace on Saturday.
    Depending on how the Palace game goes it would be good to give Walker a run out in the second half.

Talking of RBs, I see Yedlin's team Seattle Sounders FC have been knocked out the MLS Cup meaning he is clear to jon us in Jan, if required. I haven't though seen confirmation that his Latvian passport has come through.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    Depending on how the Palace game goes it would be good to give Walker a run out in the second half.

Talking of RBs, I see Yedlin's team Seattle Sounders FC have been knocked out the MLS Cup meaning he is clear to jon us in Jan, if required. I haven't though seen confirmation that his Latvian passport has come through.

Yeah I think the second half would be a good idea actually. I suspect he might just be given half an hour towards the end though and maybe something similar with Besiktas as well.

Looking at the fixtures, we're at home to Burnley on the 20th so I'd say providing there are no setbacks, I could see that being his full return.

As far as Yedlin goes, I haven't read anything that suggests he's got his passport yet but most places do seem to think he'll be joining in January.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm wondering if Yedlin's early move is dependant on finding a transfer or loan for Naughton as well? If Walker becomes available, then there is less of an urgency for Yedlin to come until the next pre-season.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it'll be a bit harsh on Naughton if he's immediately shipped out once Yedlin arrives. I do think he's improved a lot this season. He's still not perfect by any means, but I think he'd certainly be a good squad player to have.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had to laugh - according to Opta stats we are the dirtiest Premiership team!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it'll be a bit harsh on Naughton if he's immediately shipped out once Yedlin arrives. I do think he's improved a lot this season. He's still not perfect by any means, but I think he'd certainly be a good squad player to have.
    I was thinking that Naughton himself may not be happy if there is no prospect of any game time and want a loan move. He surely must be aware that he will be off-loaded if Yedlin works out.
  • Options
    Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    Believe it or not this is real - I wonder what David Baddiel and that other clown from Racial Equality make of it.

http://goyid.com/
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad Lennon is proving he is still an important member of the squad.

As for tonight, I'm lookint at it as a free game, as such. There's no pressure on us to win, so hopefully we go out and put in a good performance and perhaps can get a draw.
  • Options
    Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    Fascinating team selection tonight. Right back aside, it's surely going to be difficult to change much - or anything - from Sunday ...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    Glad Lennon is proving he is still an important member of the squad.

As for tonight, I'm lookint at it as a free game, as such. There's no pressure on us to win, so hopefully we go out and put in a good performance and perhaps can get a draw.

I like the idea of a "free game" :)

But I do agree though, I hope we can carry on the momentum from the everton game and go out and at least give it a good go.

If we're going to lose, we're going to lose so if we at least go down fighting then i'll be reasonably happy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to Physioroom only Chiriches (knock) and Walker are on our official injury list, so there is the possibiilty of making a few changes if required. I would though be tempted to stick with the core from the Everton game seeing that it is a 'free' game and limit any change to say one other apart from the enforced RB.

Such is the weirdness of the Premiership fixture list, I noticed we play the return fixture against Chelsea on New Years day. At least we will get them out of the way for this season!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    Such is the weirdness of the Premiership fixture list, I noticed we play the return fixture against Chelsea on New Years day. At least we will get them out of the way for this season!

I did notice that actually - four bloody days after we play United as well. Similar situation next February as well when we're at home to Ars*nal on the 7th and away to Liverpool just three days later.

Be interesting to see if Ade makes the squad tonight if he's apparently not injured.
  • Options
    feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know this is a month old but I must have missed this quote,

Mauricio Pochettino: "I only show emotion at home, and in my bed."

Spurs fans reaction :D

http://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/2k6xlg/captain_smooth_himself_mauricio_pochettino_i_only/?sort=top
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    feckit wrote: »
    I know this is a month old but I must have missed this quote,

Mauricio Pochettino: "I only show emotion at home, and in my bed."

Spurs fans reaction :D

http://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/2k6xlg/captain_smooth_himself_mauricio_pochettino_i_only/?sort=top

Funny stuff :D

I'm going to forever think of Poch as "Captain Smooth" now ..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soldado dropped for Lamela is the only change from Sunday. Lennon for Lamela would have probably been the better choice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I felt that ..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bloody hell that was close
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meh .. Lennon switched off there. Decent goal though
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FFS .. two mistakes .. two goals ..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah well, it was a free game so no worries. Chelsea are a class apart this season and they looked as comfortable as you'd expect.

I didn't really pay a lot of attention after the second goal went in to be fair as I knew it was game over, but we looked ok for the first 10 minutes at least :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FFS .. two mistakes .. two goals ..
    Chlesea showed what a clinical team they are not unexpectedly. Not going to dwell on the result but look forward to our next game and getting a result v Palace.
This discussion has been closed.