Options

How do I accept that my relationship really is over?

LilMissBossyLilMissBossy Posts: 6,833
Forum Member
My ex-girlfriend broke up with me in April. Initially she said that it was not her intention that we would never be in contact ever again and that she intended for us to be friends. However since the end of August she has been completely ignoring my texts and e-mails.

I have slowly come to the realisation that she intends to never speak to me again. Admittedly it has taken me a while...I am pretty crap when it comes to relationships.

I find this so hard to accept. How do you go from wanting to spend your whole life with someone and making plans for the future to completely cutting them out of your life? Why do people feel the need to pretend that the relationship never happened or that the other person no longer exists.

Comments

• Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's like bereavement. People handle it in different ways.

In my experience, those who cope best don't try to hide away photos, reminders or memories; instead they embrace them; think "nice memories - it was good while it lasted" and move on.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry to hear things have ended like that for you. I think, for whatever my opinion is worth, some people can only deal with a relationship ending by cutting off all contact completely because it's just too hard to remain in any form of contact.

There's no easy explanation for why people do that either, which I know probably isn't what you want to hear.

My friend's fiancee walked out on him after ten years together and never came back - just like that. Told him one morning she didn't love him any more and was gone by tea time.

It was incredibly difficult, but he got through it and is now married to someone else with two lovely children, so as much of an annoying cliche as it always is, time certainly does heal.

I think all you've really got to do going forward is to try and throw yourself in to doing other things. Spend time with your friends and family. Get involved in Christmas. Wear a Christmas Jumper even :)

As much as you feel horrible at the moment and want to try and work out why this has happened, it'll only make you feel even worse so try to take your mind off it as much as is possible and eventually, over time, you'll start to feel better and feel able to move forward. I can only wish you well :)
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's also possible that they think you're still holding out hope of the relationship rekindling later and so they've decided that it's best to cut all ties.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies and the support. You all speak the truth. I know that time does heal and that everything happens for a reason but I guess I have not let go or moved on yet and that is why it still hurts.

Yeah, I guess she was afraid that I was holding out hope of rekindling things (which I was) and so has decided that it is better to just cut ties completely. It just feels like such a let down. I find it so hard to trust in relationships and this was one time that I actually trusted completely....so I feel really let down.

But I will try to put it behind me and really focus on my Christmas plans - stop living in the past and start looking to the future.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    You have the right attitude, hold your head high and move on with your life. One day you will be able to look back and remember her with affection. At the moment it's probably too painful. Try and surround yourself with people who love you this Christmas, eat too much, drink too much, and make 2015 the best year ever.
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    Denial
    The person left behind is unable to admit that the relationship is really over. They may continue to call the former partner even though that person wants to be left alone. Instead they may deny their feelings and not admit that they are upset about it at all.
    Anger
    The partner left behind may feel angry for the pain the leaving partner causes them. The partner left also might blame himself/herself.
    Bargaining
    After the anger stage, the one left behind may plead with their former partner by promising that whatever caused the breakup will never happen again. Example: “I can change. Please give me a chance."
    Depression
    Next, the person might feel discouraged that his or her bargaining plea did not convince the former partner to stay. This may send the person into depression causing disruption to life functions.
    Acceptance
    Moving on from the situation and the person is the last stage. The partner left behind accepts that the relationship is over and begins to move forward with his or her life. She or he may not be completely over the situation but is weary of going back and forth, so much so that they can accept the separation as reality
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies and the support. You all speak the truth. I know that time does heal and that everything happens for a reason but I guess I have not let go or moved on yet and that is why it still hurts.

Yeah, I guess she was afraid that I was holding out hope of rekindling things (which I was) and so has decided that it is better to just cut ties completely. It just feels like such a let down. I find it so hard to trust in relationships and this was one time that I actually trusted completely....so I feel really let down.

But I will try to put it behind me and really focus on my Christmas plans - stop living in the past and start looking to the future.

You have to stop trying to think why it ended, what you could have done differently. That way madness lies. Ever thine your mind wanders in that direction do something positive for yourself or somebody. Clean out your fridge or something! From experience, thinking about it, regurgitating everything is just like picking a scab. It will never heal.
  • Options
    Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she probably wasn't mature enough to be in a relationship with you. Not your fault
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    she probably wasn't mature enough to be in a relationship with you. Not your fault
    How can you possibly make that sort of judgement without even knowing either person? Besides sometimes there isn't a clear cut 'fault' on either side.
    OP there could be many reasons why she has cut off contact - not necessarily nasty.
    I find it best to view different relationships as 'chapters' in my life - ie the end of a relationship is not a failure - it just marks the end of one particular chapter.
    While you are clearly mourning the end of a chapter, one day - and such days can creep up on you - you will suddenly find yourself celebrating a new chapter and thinking 'woohoo'.... :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How can you possibly make that sort of judgement without even knowing either person? Besides sometimes there isn't a clear cut 'fault' on either side.
    OP there could be many reasons why she has cut off contact - not necessarily nasty.
    I find it best to view different relationships as 'chapters' in my life - ie the end of a relationship is not a failure - it just marks the end of one particular chapter.
    While you are clearly mourning the end of a chapter, one day - and such days can creep up on you - you will suddenly find yourself celebrating a new chapter and thinking 'woohoo'.... :)

Can't wait for that day!! But at the moment, I am definitely not lookng for a new relationship. Not entirely over this one and need some time to get my head sorted out.

Will definitely try to regard it as a Chapter and stop thinking in such black and white terms.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    By creating this thread you have already started the acceptance. So well done!
    It is difficult at the moment but with time it gets so much easier. Just remember all the other friends and things you have and concentrate on those rather than worry about what is not.
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's like bereavement. People handle it in different ways.

In my experience, those who cope best don't try to hide away photos, reminders or memories; instead they embrace them; think "nice memories - it was good while it lasted" and move on.

What good words there.
  • Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP whatever the reasons you got to learn to "cut your losses"

You got to make a firm decision move on. I know it is not easy but the harder you try the easier it gets. You got to get back to being you and to be in fit state to take any opportunities that might arise.

The important thing is to break the preoccupation you feel about this failed relationship.

Preoccupation is something we feel many times in our lifetime and it is useful to know how to deal with it.
  • Options
    JustmadeitJustmadeit Posts: 7,512
    Forum Member
    In my experience nothing helps but the passing of time. I still love my ex girlfriend who i broke up with over 2 years ago and shes married now

Ive dated someone since then and also been on a lot of dates with some great people, i just havent met anyone where ive wanted it to be more than one date. I still miss the woman i was with and i know i will never forget her, whoever i meet in the future

I dont think people really listen to advice though do they once their emotions take over ?? I know i didnt. Emotions are strong things that win over logic.

The only thing that helps is time,. and more time passing

Its a very painful thing when you break up with someone that you still love

In my case i caused it, i broke it off with her in a moment of madness, and didnt get a second chance with her when i tried to explain shortly after what had been going on with me.

To reiterate what i said, its only the passing of time that may lessen your feelings
  • Options
    nafanny29nafanny29 Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If someone doesnt want to be with you then they were not right for you, even if you thought they were.

There will always be someone better out there!!

With 3.5 billion possible mates in the world none of us will ever find the one most suited to us, just sometimes takes a few goes to find someone in the top million!
  • Options
    Keren-HappuchKeren-Happuch Posts: 2,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I kept in touch with an ex for a few months like you. We lived at opposite ends of the country and he was in a relationship so no chance of anything happening and I knew that. After we split he went on about how he was really glad I wanted to keep in touch etc. and sent me emails asking how things were going. He never replied to my last email and gave no indication that he wanted to stop emailing me. I never emailed him again though, no matter how tempting it was to contact him and ask him why he'd stopped. He'd behaved quite callously to me before so I don't know why I expected anything different. To be fair, the emails did feel very awkward so I guess he just didn't have the guts to tell me he didn't want to speak to me anymore.

I think for some people they have all these lofty ideas about remaining friends because they do care about that person but then realise that in reality it's actually quite hard to remain friends with an ex. Often it's better to just cut ties so you can both move on. They should have the courtesy to tell you but it's easier for them to just disappear. It is horrible though, I know I felt like crap after my ex's disappearing act but I decided he wasn't worth my time or energy getting upset over anymore.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you all for the support and advice and for sharing your stories / experiences with me.

It is weird how helpful this has been.....I was worried about sharing my private stuff on the internet but it has really helped having people to talk to - especially people who don't know me / us and who are not judging me.

I am struggling with the desire to contact her again and ask why she has completely stopped talking to me but so far, I have resisted the urge.

I still wish that I could go back in time and start over but I know that is an impossible dream and that even thinking about it will drive me mad.
  • Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you all for the support and advice and for sharing your stories / experiences with me.

It is weird how helpful this has been.....I was worried about sharing my private stuff on the internet but it has really helped having people to talk to - especially people who don't know me / us and who are not judging me.

I am struggling with the desire to contact her again and ask why she has completely stopped talking to me but so far, I have resisted the urge.

I still wish that I could go back in time and start over but I know that is an impossible dream and that even thinking about it will drive me mad.

The thing is that while you are pondering about the why and wherefore you are not moving on. You need a firm decision to put a stop to it.

It is a new way of thinking you need. People have been through it many times. Many are going through it right now.

You may one day find out or may not as the case may be. The important thing is to stop caring.

If you want to read a super emotionally charged thread then try this one

It had an interesting outcome.

You could also do worse that Google "forum relationship advice" and you will find a lot of forums devoted to purely relationships.
  • Options
    Tweacle Tart IITweacle Tart II Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    It's taken me five years to get over an eight year relationship and I've been with someone else all that time as well. He was the first bloke who ever treated me decently (I'd just been out with a bunch of losers before him) it was my first proper "grown up" relationship (he had a real job, a child with an ex, we renovated a house together, we had a house, a dog) and he stayed with me when I got diagnosed with MS literally days after we met. Lots of things made it very special but we just let our relationship die so there was a huge amount of regret on both sides - that's what was the hardest, that and the fact I still loved him desperately and I know he loved me because he told me and that never came easily to him (at least saying it unprompted!) Leaving my house was awful - I'd had a knot in my stomach about it for weeks beforehand as I was moving out before him. He wouldn't even look at me. I didn't cry though. The next day, it hit me and I think I cried all day.

I went to see him in his new place a few times, to see our dog more than anything although that was probably an excuse. He had met someone else at that point and it was starting to get serious. He had a picture of her on the fridge! The first time was really weird as he offered to make me a cup of tea like a "guest". I cried all the way home as it shouldn't have been him in in new place, it should have been us together in our old place right? The last time I tried to make arrangements, he was a bit awkward over it and my OH made me realise it was time to let it go as it was just too upsetting both for me and the dog.

He got married to her two years ago - I knew about it through social network from his family, he actually said very little to be fair to him - and I had a complete meltdown in work the day before as I'd been bottling it all up (hadn't told anyone really as I was embarrassed) but that same knot was there every time I woke up about a week beforehand. It just felt like such a huge slap in the face in that he must have been really sure about her but was never quite sure about me.

He deleted me from stupid Facebook :D very shortly afterwards but just long enough for me to see all his wedding photographs. Seeing his wedding ring was what hurt the most actually. I haven't seen him in person for four years now although I saw a picture his mum posted on Facebook the other day and I thought how much older he looked.

There was a time I could never imagine him not being in my life in some form but I got there in the end. I'm still sad in a way but I'm with someone so much better now and better for me on every level. If it hadn't been for him, I would never have for through this - I think I'd still be hanging on to my ex's leg begging him not to leave me :D - and I'm very lucky that he was prepared to wait until I got there too.

So basically it's time. And listen to 21 by Adele if you haven't already. It may make you feel like your heart has been ripped out but it will hopefully take you through all the stages of denial, anger, grief and finally acceptance 💙
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Denial
    The person left behind is unable to admit that the relationship is really over. They may continue to call the former partner even though that person wants to be left alone. Instead they may deny their feelings and not admit that they are upset about it at all.
    Anger
    The partner left behind may feel angry for the pain the leaving partner causes them. The partner left also might blame himself/herself.
    Bargaining
    After the anger stage, the one left behind may plead with their former partner by promising that whatever caused the breakup will never happen again. Example: “I can change. Please give me a chance."
    Depression
    Next, the person might feel discouraged that his or her bargaining plea did not convince the former partner to stay. This may send the person into depression causing disruption to life functions.
    Acceptance
    Moving on from the situation and the person is the last stage. The partner left behind accepts that the relationship is over and begins to move forward with his or her life. She or he may not be completely over the situation but is weary of going back and forth, so much so that they can accept the separation as reality

Aye. Take time to heal and move on. Don't let the experience make you bitter and cynical.