The BBC WM 95.6 Thread

Comments

• tom_htom_h Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    I was hoping they'd opt out of Mark Forrest. I imagine quite a few stations will tonight.
  • connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member
    tom_h wrote: »
    I was hoping they'd opt out of Mark Forrest. I imagine quite a few stations will tonight.

they are Richard Wilford will be on
    Forum Member
    Sadly had to keep BBC WM on, it's the only station providing the information. Jimmy Franks is bloody awful though, keeps asking stupid questions, relating everything back to him and cutting callers off and also asking callers for their exact location.

Hurry up 4pm...
    Forum Member
    Sadly had to keep BBC WM on, it's the only station providing the information. Jimmy Franks is bloody awful though, keeps asking stupid questions, relating everything back to him and cutting callers off and also asking callers for their exact location.

Hurry up 4pm...
    Mollie Green should be on not him
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mollie Green should be on not him

Never mind, we'll have our Mol's home spun wisdom from 6am tomorrow!:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I've heard Jimmy Franks right, there's no Jail Mail this week, as Tracey cant get into the studio!
    We'll hang on a bit & see what happens!

(Presume off to 5Live an hour earlier!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Never mind, we'll have our Mol's home spun wisdom from 6am tomorrow!:D

Or maybe not!

Charlie Jordan sitting in instead!

(Nicole Pullman must have stayed in the Mailbox all night, as she's also producing this one, after being there since yesterday evening!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doing the paper review this morning is former WM reporter (& Sky News I think?) Maverine Cole.

She now has something to do with beer, and will be appearing at the Walsall Beer Festival in April, according to Walsall CAMRA's Facebook page.
    Forum Member
    The Mollie Green show this morning was funny have a listen at the time 1:04:05
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0151bk4/Mollie_Green_23_02_2013/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well I tried with my phone just, & it says programme unavailable despite me updating things!

Will have to try via my laptop later.

(phones low on space now :( )
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Les Ross doing the paper review this morning.

Er er righto! LOL
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Definetely white coat time! :D
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if this is the right place for this, but some changes at BBC Coventry and Warwickshire from April....

- Bob Brolly moves from weekdays to Saturday's, replaced with Stuart Linnell
    - Malcolm Boyden leaves his Saturday morning slot, replaced with Trish Adudu

Not sure why those two changes have took place - there may be more for all I know
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, the latter happens today

Guy Eames ‏@semaeyug
    Malcolm Boyden's last show!! #sadday pic.twitter.com/90QCoyVY2S
    10:04 a.m. - Mar 2, 2013
    Forum Member
    There is a bit of overlap for Coventry & Warwickshire and WM, so I'm sure it's fine in here. Especially considering they share some presenters.

Doesn't Stuart Linnell do BBC Radio Northampton's breakfast? So that'd be two shows a day.

Well, Malcom did do Coventry drive and Oxford mornings for quite some time. I can probably understand why Malcolm is leaving Coventry and Warwickshire considering he does 7 shows a day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Saturdays from April on CWR

6-9 - Lorna Bailey
    - now does 12-2
    9-12 - Trish Adudu
    12-2 - Bob Brolly
    - now does 12-2 weekdays

Apparently Malcolm found out yesterday: https://twitter.com/semaeyug/status/307599182162690048

Stupidity at its finest I think.
    Forum Member
    There is a bit of overlap for Coventry & Warwickshire and WM, so I'm sure it's fine in here. Especially considering they share some presenters.

Doesn't Stuart Linnell do BBC Radio Northampton's breakfast? So that'd be two shows a day.

yes and he does the sport show on saturday and he does sunday breakfast both on bbc coventry and warwickshire
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    So Saturdays from April on CWR

6-9 - Lorna Bailey
    - now does 12-2
    9-12 - Trish Adudu
    12-2 - Bob Brolly
    - now does 12-2 weekdays

Apparently Malcolm found out yesterday: https://twitter.com/semaeyug/status/307599182162690048

Stupidity at its finest I think.

Was it a repeat of what happened at Wm years ago, when he got the boot from there?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yours truly was the only one to get all 5 Tv themes right on Keithy's show this week!

;)
    Forum Member
    bbc wm have a new drive time presenter
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/wm/programmes/schedules/2013/w12
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bbc wm have a new drive time presenter
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/wm/programmes/schedules/2013/w12

That links come up as gobbledgook!
    Forum Member
    Looks like a technical error to me. Perhaps Richard is covering drivetime but instead of changing the program description to 'Richard Wilford' sits in they've changed the program name by mistake. It still refers to his Sunday show and the football phone-in is still down as Paul Franks.

I'm sure if Franksy had left drivetime there would be more press considering how long he's had that slot.
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I'm sure that that's just the scheduling equivalent of a typo and Connor has jumped the gun here. As you say, had Franksy actually left his long-running drive time show we'd no doubt have heard about it in the local papers if not on the station itself.

Richard Wilford is the usual stand-in for Paul Franks on WM's drive time show and Franksy will obviously take a week off from time to time. It's probably worth bearing in mind that the England national football team are playing either side of the weekend of the 23rd and 24th, therefore none of the station's Premier League or Championship teams will be in action thus it is probably quite a sensible time for Franksy to take a weekend off during the football season given his role on Saturday's WM Sport as well.

On the subject of WM's football coverage, does anyone have any thoughts on the recent changes to the co-commentators they have used. For years now they have relied upon their WM Sport presenters doubling up in the commentary box, with Paul Franks in this role on their main Saturday games, with the likes of Daz Hale, Mark Regan and their other regular "lead" football commentators summarising secondary weekend and midweek games. But over the past few weeks, they have started to bring back ex-pros with Peter Withe and Jimmy Walker both being called upon for live games on top of the main presenter and commentator. Then last night, Adrian Goldberg co-commentated on the Birmingham game for the station's DAB service - I remember him doing co-commentaries on particularly busy matchdays during his time as WM's weekday breakfast host, but I think this is the first time he's been heard on WM Sport since returning to the station.
    Forum Member
    with the frist point your right thinking about it. sorry:confused:
  • TorqueTorque Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    It makes me so sad to see what has become of this once brilliant station. The late 90s were wonderful, with a range of types of presenters, interesting chat, and good topical news mixed in with entertainment.

I remember when it used to be Ed Doolan, followed by Malcolm Boyden and then Jenny Wilkes. All excellent. The drivetime was must listen thanks to Gordon Astley. Networked evenings were wonderful too with Tony and Julie presenting an excellent show.

The downfall started with the dreadful Franks brothers seeming to be given the go ahead to ruin everything on the station. And bland presenters like Adrian Goldberg and other dreary horrors ruining the schedules.

Please WM do something to recapture the better old days!