Texbooks in Pdf

AneesaAneesa Posts: 783
Forum Member
✭✭
I've just started university and was told yesterday that we need a book for Mondays lecture. However this obviously doesn't give me a lot of time to get this textbook. If I order online it won't come in time,and the university itself charges a lot more for the book than online. We only need the book for the first two weeks and then won't need it for the rest of the degree.

Some other students and staff said they were able to download a pdf file of the textbook but I can't seem to find put where they got it from. The texbook is called "Legal systems and skills" by Scott Slorach,Judith Embley, Peter Goodchild and Catherine Shepard.
Can anyone help me?!
Thanks in advance

Comments

• ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's available at Waterstones:
    https://m.waterstones.com/BookDetails.aspx?bookId=9718823

Pop into your local large store and purchase it there. You can then return it after 2 weeks and get a full refund.

Not ethical but we used to do it all the time at university - buying a book before exams for revision and then returning it after to get money back. You obviously have to keep it in pristine condition.
  • AneesaAneesa Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    It's available at Waterstones:
    https://m.waterstones.com/BookDetails.aspx?bookId=9718823

Pop into your local large store and purchase it there. You can then return it after 2 weeks and get a full refund.

Not ethical but we used to do it all the time at university - buying a book before exams for revision and then returning it after to get money back. You obviously have to keep it in pristine condition.

That is actually a really good idea!
    So I can return the book after two weeks- is that the limit?
    I thought a PDF file will be better than carrying a book around but seriously cannot find one single file available to download.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aneesa wrote: »
    That is actually a really good idea!
    So I can return the book after two weeks- is that the limit?
    I thought a PDF file will be better than carrying a book around but seriously cannot find one single file available to download.

You can return within 30 days and it's fine as long as it still looks unused. Keep the receipt to get the refund.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    You can return within 30 days and it's fine as long as it still looks unused. Keep the receipt to get the refund.

Thanks so much. That never crossed my mind. I'll still be trying to find a PDF file, but will go into waterstones if I can't find one by tomorrow.
  • varialectiovarialectio Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can get legal (and ethical :D ) online access to related collections of law books for 12 months at a time from OUP Law Trove although the subscription arrangements seem bit complex.

See here http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/product/9780191795992.do
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't you try a year2 student?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can get legal (and ethical :D ) online access to related collections of law books for 12 months at a time from OUP Law Trove although the subscription arrangements seem bit complex.

See here http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/product/9780191795992.do

I saw that website this morning, it's a not confusing haha.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    Can't you try a year2 student?

Before I asked any other students, I wanted to see if it was possible if I could download the PDF file. For convenience as well, instead of lugging around books on the train it will be better on my tablet/laptop.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    How about asking your local library to order a copy for you.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member

...and Amazon UK and Ebay UK might also be sources of cheaper, used copies of this book though hopefully the local county library service will be able to reserve a copy.
  • James_MayJames_May Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually, you can't return it to waterstones so don't bother trying. I get all of my uni books from there and each time I am reminded at the till "are you sure it's the book you want because we don't refund text books".

Now I know why, haha.

Surely your uni has a library that provides multiple copies of the core reading material, and I'm sure it has a photocopier too.
  • RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've looked all over the place on the net, and from what I can tell your book is only available in paperback format. I've no idea how your fellow students and the staff found the ebook.

I think your only option is to go and buy it in store, really, and ASAP in case your other fellow students decide they need to buy it too. When I was a student, we got told to look at certain books and it was a mad dash to the library to get one of the three copies they held in there. Or, we'd head to the local Waterstones or somewhere, only to find their five copies had just been sold. We used to end up in ever-increasing circles, trying to find a shop that hadn't sold out. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James_May wrote: »
    Actually, you can't return it to waterstones so don't bother trying. I get all of my uni books from there and each time I am reminded at the till "are you sure it's the book you want because we don't refund text books".

Now I know why, haha.

Surely your uni has a library that provides multiple copies of the core reading material, and I'm sure it has a photocopier too.

Oh is it, haha I won't go there tomorrow. My uni library has some but they've all been taken out. I've requested one hopefully will get one soon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Tried that this morning, librarian said they are all taken out and some people are waiting for the book. If they did, will be about a month or so.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Relly wrote: »
    I've looked all over the place on the net, and from what I can tell your book is only available in paperback format. I've no idea how your fellow students and the staff found the ebook.

I think your only option is to go and buy it in store, really, and ASAP in case your other fellow students decide they need to buy it too. When I was a student, we got told to look at certain books and it was a mad dash to the library to get one of the three copies they held in there. Or, we'd head to the local Waterstones or somewhere, only to find their five copies had just been sold. We used to end up in ever-increasing circles, trying to find a shop that hadn't sold out. :D

I have no idea where they found it! I should have asked for the file or link when I saw them yesterday.
    I think im going to have to :( . I just find it a waste of money; a book we will use for two weeks and that is it.
  • James_MayJames_May Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aneesa wrote: »
    Oh is it, haha I won't go there tomorrow. My uni library has some but they've all been taken out. I've requested one hopefully will get one soon.

No, save your money.

Well that's a bit silly on part of your uni, they should keep reference copies of core materials that can't be loaned so they are accessible all the time. I was forever taking reference copies of text books to the photocopier and printing relevant chapters/pages for pre-reads.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, save your money.

Well that's a bit silly on part of your uni, they should keep reference copies of core materials that can't be loaned so they are accessible all the time. I was forever taking reference copies of text books to the photocopier and printing relevant chapters/pages for pre-reads.

I'm going to go in a bit early on Monday and just check once again. I'll photocopy the first few pages as I doubt we'll use the whole book.
    Thanks so much for helping btw :)
  • fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazon lists this book new at £21.35. Interestingly, one Amazon supplier is offering a used copy (good condition!) for £4291.92. Sounds like a good investment...
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if your mates have got pdf's, why don't they give you a copy?
  • IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    Something worth trying might be what my wife does when she borrows books from the work library for research or quotations. She gets the book, uses her handheld scanner and then runs it through OCR software (which is pretty decent and actually works). She then saves it in Word format, and then as she reads through it on her tablet/laptop she can correct any typos, which are usually minor. If you don't want to run it through OCR software, you can simply save them as JPG/PNGs and drop them in a PDF file yourself (although you need to scan at a fairly high DPI so you can zoom in if needed without too much pixelation). The advantage to this is the fact that you've then got a permanent e-copy of the book.

I'd recommend hand scanners as it doesn't damage the book and it's a lot easier than trying to pop the book on the scanner and resizing etc.
  • IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    The PDF file probably has some form of DRM on it. Basically you need a 'licence' or credentials to access the file. If you don't have them you can't open the file.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Now I know why, haha.

They've obviously changed their policy as that was never the case when I was at university. I've returned textbooks more recently as well so perhaps it differs from branch to branch.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Possibly the problem is that it was published in 2013 so there aren't many second-hand copies around yet. However if the OP bought a new copy they should be able to sell it for a good price for that reason.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fenlander wrote: »
    Amazon lists this book new at £21.35. Interestingly, one Amazon supplier is offering a used copy (good condition!) for £4291.92. Sounds like a good investment...

I saw that, haha did make me laugh a bit!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Stupid me, I didn't ask them for the link on Friday. I just asked where they found it and they said they literally typed it in on Google and it came up. I'll ask tomorrow if I could just have the file.