breppobreppo Posts: 2,433
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The Silver Jubilee season has started.

Comments

• steve9999steve9999 Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was a very good start. I hope the rating are decent for new time slot!
    Looks like we will only get one season of TAR next year as the next filming dates are between May-July 2015 http://www.theamazingracecasting.com
  • breppobreppo Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was indeed a better start than we saw in the last couple of seasons.
    That last task was finally up to the earlier TAR standards plus there was some genuine drama.

My favourite teams: the competitive street cyclists - whatever the heck that means - and the stewardesses.

Pity there apparently will be only one season next year. But hopefully that means the quality will go up.
    I'm glad the Miami realtors were eliminated. Blaming the firemen for playing unfair whilst they stole their marker pen earlier on! Kudos to the firemen for not responding.
    The award for ditziest blonde ever on TAR must go to the one that thought the sun rises in the west and sets in the east. The look on the face of the guy who tried to help her was priceless.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    I watched the Amazing Race for the first time this morning & thought it was very good. It looks like next week they are in the UK which will be interesting.
  • steve9999steve9999 Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Terrible rating for Amazing race last night

18-49 rating 18-49 Share Viewers
    The Amazing Race 1.1 4 5.50 million

Let's hope it grows or madam secretary somehow bombs and it gets moved back to Sunday ( doubtful )
  • starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw the comparison to the sandcastle task way before it was mentioned, and expected someone would take a penalty. Like that leg it was the only highlight and the only chance to change places. Disappointed with those eliminated as they looked big gameplayers, bad for the show they went really. Would have preferred the unisex team to go from the last three. The 'save' seems pointless, about as bad as the special idol on Survivor. No decision can be made with it, it is simply played when otherwise eliminated, so boring. Little self navigation on the leg once on the islands. The cast may be ok but it's too early to tell. Oh and zero suspense on the mat as we were told it was an elimination leg well before the end.
  • Alex_B1Alex_B1 Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    steve9999 wrote: »
    Terrible rating for Amazing race last night

18-49 rating 18-49 Share Viewers
    The Amazing Race 1.1 4 5.50 million

Let's hope it grows or madam secretary somehow bombs and it gets moved back to Sunday ( doubtful )
    Friday night TV shows in the US usually have low ratings, so this is not surprising.

Next week looks like London and Oxford from the preview, should be interesting. A pity that I moved away from Oxford already, would have liked to bump into the competitors. I remember one season in London where someone led a pair of racers (Rob whatshisname and his future wife) to the right places very quickly. Don't think I'll be so helpful however, would have probably played the dumb native.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hated that they allowed contestants to be guided around like that. Otherwise though I really enjoyed that season.
    Forum Member
    starry wrote: »
    I hated that they allowed contestants to be guided around like that. Otherwise though I really enjoyed that season.
    Yes, I'd rather that the racers do things on their own (also dislike those who rely on other people for answers for tasks they should have done themselves). Rob didn't win though. Is that the season where the couple who won actually missed a plane but the plane turned back for them? Seems totally unfair to me, given that so many other racers had their race ruined by missing the plane by just minutes or seconds. Would have preferred that Rob won that season actually because it felt unfair.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alex_B1 wrote: »
    Yes, I'd rather that the racers do things on their own (also dislike those who rely on other people for answers for tasks they should have done themselves). Rob didn't win though. Is that the season where the couple who won actually missed a plane but the plane turned back for them? Seems totally unfair to me, given that so many other racers had their race ruined by missing the plane by just minutes or seconds. Would have preferred that Rob won that season actually because it felt unfair.

Yeh it was the season when the plane was turned back. At least those were the days when people could actually get different planes. I actually liked Rob much more on The Amazing Race than I did on Survivor, maybe because with the restriction of the team game he always had to work with and consult Amber, which was interesting and not portrayed like a stupid showmance but just as a team.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed the episode and thought the compass task was the ideal place for game changing positions.

Also really liked how they were taking the Michael out of the dentists teeth.

As well as London and Oxford next week the opening titles make it look like they will be visiting Shetland.
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ratings are a disappointment but they have moved it to kill it off haven't they, I imagine its just become too costly now to make but they couldn't justify axing it because the viewers where constantly high. Looks like there's some good teams this series really dislike the firemen though they where out of order throwing the girls out the taxi i like the girl who had her arm bitten off but her boyfriend is a bit dull. I always like when they come to the UK so next week should be good.
  • xorosetylerxoxorosetylerxo Posts: 6,674
    Forum Member
    phill363 wrote: »
    The ratings are a disappointment but they have moved it to kill it off haven't they, I imagine its just become too costly now to make but they couldn't justify axing it because the viewers where constantly high. Looks like there's some good teams this series really dislike the firemen though they where out of order throwing the girls out the taxi i like the girl who had her arm bitten off but her boyfriend is a bit dull. I always like when they come to the UK so next week should be good.

I disagree about the girls they fought the pen out of the firefighters hands to get them on an earlier plane but the minute the firefighters do the whole taxi thing they're complaining.
    Forum Member
    Yeh it was the season when the plane was turned back. At least those were the days when people could actually get different planes.
    Can't they get different planes now? I'm pretty sure I watched some recent episodes where teams took different planes (one team chose a slower route and got eliminated), but I'm not sure if I'm just getting confused with other Amazing Race series from different countries.
    QuincyMD wrote: »
    As well as London and Oxford next week the opening titles make it look like they will be visiting Shetland.

I saw some islands, but not sure if that's Shetland.

Also saw parts of Blenheim Palace in the title sequence, I wonder if that is the pit stop next week. From the preview it looks like they go from London (House of Parliament in the background) to Oxford (punting on the Cherwell, running up the High Street outside Magdalen College, then a taxi ride outside Oxford), ending up in Blenheim Palace seems the logical route.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alex_B1 wrote: »
    Can't they get different planes now? I'm pretty sure I watched some recent episodes where teams took different planes (one team chose a slower route and got eliminated), but I'm not sure if I'm just getting confused with other Amazing Race series from different countries.

Yeh but it doesn't happen that often now. Before it seemed to happen virtually every leg. Now they often have the flights all booked in advance for them, even stipulating that only so many teams can make one plane and the others have to take another specified flight.

Getting back to this season I prefer it when teams fight to survive at the finish of a leg rather than just agree to all sprint to the pitstop together.
    Forum Member
    Getting back to this season I prefer it when teams fight to survive at the finish of a leg rather than just agree to all sprint to the pitstop together.

Yes, really disliked it when they agreed to take a penalty together. I wonder why the two girls think they can run faster than the two guys.

So far no firm favorite yet, but because I knew of the story of the girl surfer (read about it from the film Soul Surfer starring Carrie Underwood), I guess I'm a bit biased towards her and would like to see her in the final 3 teams. The dentists seem the most likely winners though.
    Forum Member
    The ratings are a disappointment but they have moved it to kill it off haven't they, I imagine its just become too costly now to make but they couldn't justify axing it because the viewers where constantly high.

Would CBS kill off a show that keeps winning them Emmy? Maybe I guess. Supernatural was also moved to Friday a year or two back, but it actually did quite well there.

It could be that fans of Amazing Race are just used to it being on Sundays, so maybe once they get used to Friday the ratings can go up higher.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you watch it again, you can see one of the firemen was already in the taxi. The girls then tried to get in before the second fireman. Not a very smart move as they were wasting valuable time.
    Funny to see their wrongful indignation on the mat led them to portray themselves as nasty b*tches. Like I wrote before, kudos to the firemen for not raising to the bait.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeh but it doesn't happen that often now. Before it seemed to happen virtually every leg. Now they often have the flights all booked in advance for them, even stipulating that only so many teams can make one plane and the others have to take another specified flight.

I can remember a season where the had to fly from Terra del Fuego to South Africa and the teams were on 4 or 5 different flights. One couple (grandmothers) got stranded in London and were eliminated long after the rest of the teams already started on the next leg.
    It's a pity that element of picking the right flight is now almost absent. It was always great fun to see how the teams were trying to outsmart each other.

I guess it's got something to do with cost reduction and the teams have to fly with certain airlines that made a deal with the production company.
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is my 2nd Amazing Race series and I'm suprised how much more enjoyable it is without that annoying woman and her husband who where the green stuff (forgotten the team name) but she was annoying as hell.
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    breppo wrote: »
    If you watch it again, you can see one of the firemen was already in the taxi. The girls then tried to get in before the second fireman. Not a very smart move as they were wasting valuable time.
    Funny to see their wrongful indignation on the mat led them to portray themselves as nasty b*tches. Like I wrote before, kudos to the firemen for not raising to the bait.

Yeah I got that one of them was already in the taxi but they just threw them out not caring about whether they hurt them or not.
    breppo wrote: »
    I can remember a season where the had to fly from Terra del Fuego to South Africa and the teams were on 4 or 5 different flights. One couple (grandmothers) got stranded in London and were eliminated long after the rest of the teams already started on the next leg.
    It's a pity that element of picking the right flight is now almost absent. It was always great fun to see how the teams were trying to outsmart each other.

I guess it's got something to do with cost reduction and the teams have to fly with certain airlines that made a deal with the production company.

It was only a few seasons ago that 2 teams got stuck in Frankfurt for ages after taking a flight with a dangerously short connecting time they where really hated by the other teams as well, a few legs later they had to return to Frankfurt for anot6her connecting flight too and experienced a delay there again :D
    Forum Member
    Yeah I got that one of them was already in the taxi but they just threw them out not caring about whether they hurt them or not.
    Not sure what you would do with someone who insists on climbing aboard when it is clear that it is not their taxi. Very much doubtful that polite reasoning will work.

Anyway, those who don't know in which direction the sun sets deserve to be ejected as forcefully as possible from the show for being irredeemably stupid.
  • molly nogginmolly noggin Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the blondes got their just desserts - the way they went for the pen when it was already in his hand was ridiculous and as the ONLY way to get her out of the taxi was to forcibly remove her I don't see what else he could have done. Good riddance to the pair of them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They may have been hoping two teams could have got in the taxi together.
    Forum Member
    They may have been hoping two teams could have got in the taxi together.

In which case saying something with "please" in there would be useful. Didn't hear anything like that (she said "Seriously?" instead).

I rewatched that bit, any suggestion by phill363 that she had been thrown out of the taxi and might get hurt is absurd. She was stopped from entering the taxi, that is all.
  • chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What an epic fail episode by the 3 teams LOL basically it's Bora Bora part 2.

The surfers are so likeable.