Options

'The Lost Honour of Christopher Jefferies' -ITV drama about Joanna Yeates

Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Saw the trailer for this last night. Personally I think it looks good, and from the short trailer quite respectable, in fact I actually thought it was real clips from the actual news footage etc of the time.

It's been four years this Christmas since Joanna was killed so some are saying it's far too soon, I wonder if the producers had any direct contact with Jefferies or Joanna's family? Could be the makers of 'See No Evil' & 'Appropriate Adult' who made this, they seem to get critical acclaim for accuracy.

Comments

• Options
    LadyOfShalottLadyOfShalott Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Derek Faye wrote: »
    Saw the trailer for this last night. Personally I think it looks good, and from the short trailer quite respectable, in fact I actually thought it was real clips from the actual news footage etc of the time.

It's been four years this Christmas since Joanna was killed so some are saying it's far too soon, I wonder if the producers had any direct contact with Jefferies or Joanna's family? Could be the makers of 'See No Evil' & 'Appropriate Adult' who made this, they seem to get critical acclaim for accuracy.

It does indeed look very good.

It's made by Carnival Films and has some top, top names involved. The writer is Peter Morgan, who wrote The Queen, and the director is Roger Michell, who's done loads but is probably best known for Notting Hill. Michell was taught by Christopher Jefferies at school.

It's a fair point about being quite soon after the murder but the focus is on the arrest of Jefferies and how he was hounded by the media. I'm not sure about Jo Yeates's fanily, but Jefferies has certainly backed the production:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/dec/23/christopher-jefferies-itv-drama-lost-honour-joanna-yeates

It was a terrible case,. The police inquiry seems to have been poor (ITN was banned from press conferences for saying so) and focussed on an innocent man who was then vilified by the press. at a time when the media thought it was untouchable.

Jefferies not only received huge libel damages from several media organisations, but some were prosecuted (quite rightly) for contempt of court. As a journalist myself, I'd like to think no-one could be targeted in the way Jefferies was, that we've learnt something, but I'm not sure.
  • Options
    Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I remember it all quite clearly really. I (shamefully) will admit that between the time Jefferies was arrested and by the time he was let go, I think I was one of the people who were like "He must've done it, he looks the type". I know that's an indecent thing to say but I think at the time, it was kind of playing out like a soap opera style! It's also quite ironic that Jefferies name/face seems more attached to the story than the actual killer, so much focus was on Jefferies.

I remember it being dubbed "the Christmas murder". I think her body was found Boxing day? I remember getting ready to go to a family boxing day gathering thing and seeing it on the news and we were talking about it. I felt very sad for her family but also relieved they had an answer. Quite a lot happened in a short space of time really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I remember it all quite clearly really. I (shamefully) will admit that between the time Jefferies was arrested and by the time he was let go, I think I was one of the people who were like "He must've done it, he looks the type". I know that's an indecent thing to say but I think at the time, it was kind of playing out like a soap opera style! It's also quite ironic that Jefferies name/face seems more attached to the story than the actual killer, so much focus was on Jefferies.

That describes very well what happened really. It was played out as if the characters were fictional when of course they were real people. It was almost as if it were a game.
    I remember it being dubbed "the Christmas murder". I think her body was found Boxing day? I remember getting ready to go to a family boxing day gathering thing and seeing it on the news and we were talking about it. I felt very sad for her family but also relieved they had an answer. Quite a lot happened in a short space of time really.

She went missing on December 17 and her body was found on Christmas Day. A terrible case and probably one that got extra attention because of the time of year and the fact it's normally a slow news period.

I do hope this drama doesn't upset the family too much - but it's a story that needs telling. The poor police investigation and most importantly the trial-by-media almost robbed the family of justice.
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    One of the actors (don't know his name but he's in Broadchurch too) was on Saturday Kitchen this week, he said something about it being "important to Bristoleans" to set the record straight. Must admit as soon as I saw the trail I thought "ouch, too soon"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abriel wrote: »
    One of the actors (don't know his name but he's in Broadchurch too) was on Saturday Kitchen this week, he said something about it being "important to Bristoleans" to set the record straight. Must admit as soon as I saw the trail I thought "ouch, too soon"

Joe Sims - he played Nigel in Broadchurch and is the murderer in this.

This could well have been an almighty miscarriage of justice - that's the story, rather than a murder story. I do hope it's respectful of the Yeates family - I'm sure it will be, looking at the people involved.

The idea that someone's life can be ruined due to some poor policing and a lot of irresponsible, ignorant reporting is a cautionary tale in an era when any idiot can publish anything online without a thought of the consequences.
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't just Christopher Jeffries who came under attack on social media. Her boyfriend was found guilty by the mob in the first days after she went missing. There was a thread on here which was utterly disgraceful. It was a game a bit like find the Broadchurch murderer.

As for Jeffries it was Mirror/Sun who decided once he was arrested that he would be charged. In the interim couple of days the lurid stuff was published. Media said that Police told them they had got their guy. Doesn't excuse them though. Dominic Grieve took the two papers to court actually handling the case in court himself. He used it to establish contempt of court in a case where there were no charges. He wasn't stopping conviction. The parameters were clearly set.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    It wasn't just Christopher Jeffries who came under attack on social media. Her boyfriend was found guilty by the mob in the first days after she went missing. There was a thread on here which was utterly disgraceful. It was a game a bit like find the Broadchurch murderer.

This is what troubles me about today's multimedia world. Idiots think they can say what they want. Jefferies was especially vilified with the untrue allegations about his past but you're right that Joanna Yeates's boyfriend was also put under the microscope.
    As for Jeffries it was Mirror/Sun who decided once he was arrested that he would be charged. In the interim couple of days the lurid stuff was published. Media said that Police told them they had got their guy. Doesn't excuse them though. Dominic Grieve took the two papers to court actually handling the case in court himself. He used it to establish contempt of court in a case where there were no charges. He wasn't stopping conviction. The parameters were clearly set.

The police performance was generally appalling, but - as you say - that doesn't excuse the disgraceful actions of several papers. I love and value my profession but in cases like this I despair.

Dominic Grieve took a lead on this and I really respect him for this. His predecessors had taken what might be called a hands-off approach and the result was an anything-goes feeling among the worst parts of the popular press. the contempt of court prosecutions were of even more interest to me than the libel cases because he was acting on behalf of society.

Reckless and downright incorrect reporting should have consequences.
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was awful how that man was treated by the press, Im glad he got compensation for it.

Its human nature to make assumptions on the basis of someones behaviour or looks or lifestyle, but it becomes a problem when people in a position of authority or influence (media) start influencing and pushing those assumptions.

Personally I thought he looked gay (I dont know if he is or not) and therefore felt at the time it wasnt likely to be him on that basis. So we all (whether we admit it or not), make our own minds up but we shouldnt let that affect decision making if we are in a position to make those decisions.

Imagine if the real killer hadnt been caught, this man would have really been hounded forever.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    It was awful how that man was treated by the press, Im glad he got compensation for it.

Its human nature to make assumptions on the basis of someones behaviour or looks or lifestyle, but it becomes a problem when people in a position of authority or influence (media) start influencing and pushing those assumptions.

Personally I thought he looked gay (I dont know if he is or not) and therefore felt at the time it wasnt likely to be him on that basis. So we all (whether we admit it or not), make our own minds up but we shouldnt let that affect decision making if we are in a position to make those decisions.

Imagine if the real killer hadnt been caught, this man would have really been hounded forever.

I agree, he was rather odd looking, so people assumed he must be guilty. When he appeared later at the press enquiry, he had smartened himself up with a haircut and a suit and looked totally different.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »

Quite right. Mutterings in private are different to gossiping police and a lynch-mob press.

There's a code or formula the media uses in these sort of cases - a loner, keeps himself to himself etc - but this case just went bonkers. The police had a lot to answer for in telling the media they'd got their man but even if he HAD been, there was no reason to print what they did.
    valkay wrote: »

And if the real killer hadn't pleaded guilty (to manslaughter - he was found guilty of murder- there would have probably been some "no smoke without fire" rumblings.
    valkay wrote: »
    I agree, he was rather odd looking, so people assumed he must be guilty. When he appeared later at the press enquiry, he had smartened himself up with a haircut and a suit and looked totally different.

I think we'd all smarten ourselves up if we were in the public eye!

He explained in one of the Bristol newspapers that he'd deliberately changed his appearance to avoid being recognised. I hate to think anyone who looked "odd" was judged to be a murderer based on his appearance.What sort of a society are we if we hound an innocent person because of how they look?

I'd like to think we've learnt something from this case. It curbed the worst excesses of this case but i suspect it's only a matter of time before someone else is hung out to dry in such a serious way.

Anyway, let's hope this drama lives up to expectations. The trailer looked excellent - I'd forgotten this was due to be on and was really pleased to see it coming up so soon.
  • Options
    ProKitzelProKitzel Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    It's strange that if people are slightly eccentric they immediately get branded as some sort of pervert.
  • Options
    henry_hopehenry_hope Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes, it showed the prejudices of mob rule...and that included the press.
  • Options
    Hyram FyramHyram Fyram Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if it's too soon for the drama. It's certainly too soon for a review of it.
  • Options
    China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good posts above from LadyOf Shallot.
    The trailers do look excellent for this, glad it's made by the right people, as so many things like this can be ruined if in the wrong hands.
    It has similarities to the Colin Stagg case about it. "Oh he's a bit odd, he must be guilty"
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And if the real killer hadn't pleaded guilty (to manslaughter - he was found guilty of murder- there would have probably been some "no smoke without fire" rumblings.

It was blatently clear that parts of media still believed that Police had got the wrong person. The shock when it was announced that he had pleaded guilty to manslaughter was palpable. Martin Brunt that includes you! As you say no smoke without fire would have rung around Chris Jeffries if this hadn't happened. As for the boyfriend I mentioned earlier the Police had to come out and say specifically that they had evidence that ruled him out.
  • Options
    BryanandLucBryanandLuc Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it is too soon, be nice to see the backgorund whilst it's semi-fresh in the memory
    There was a docu drama about Fred and Rose West which told us lots we did not know
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when's this on ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was blatently clear that parts of media still believed that Police had got the wrong person. The shock when it was announced that he had pleaded guilty to manslaughter was palpable. Martin Brunt that includes you! As you say no smoke without fire would have rung around Chris Jeffries if this hadn't happened. As for the boyfriend I mentioned earlier the Police had to come out and say specifically that they had evidence that ruled him out.

I must admit i had forgotten about the boyfriend and the suspicions of the mob against him. Of course, many murders are "domestics" so naturally family and friends are investigated - I remember another lady called Joanne who went missing and the boyfriend wept and pleaded for her to be found, when all the while he;d murdered her and hidden her body in a cupboard.

I do wonder if 24-hour news - whether on TV or the net - is to blame for the mob mentality. No time for considered thought and sober reflection - it all has to be NOW.
    I don't think it is too soon, be nice to see the backgorund whilst it's semi-fresh in the memory
    There was a docu drama about Fred and Rose West which told us lots we did not know
    Appropriate Adult was superb. Sometimes we do need to understand what happened and why to really understand the impact.

I think this story needs telling. I'm sure it will respect the family and the memory of the victim. I hope so at least.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when's this on ?

Wednesday December 10 and Thursday December 11, from 9pm to 10.30pm.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Jason Watkins is playing Jeffries
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0914327/reference

You may know him from the manager in Trollied, or from Being Human.

They're the main things i've seen him in plus other bit parts and I think he's a decent actor.
    He's been in plenty else though.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I remember the thread on here very well, as it happened at the time. I was mocked for saying I'd never forget Jo Yeates, something about her got to me, and I never have forgotten her.

I saw the clip of this show last night and thought it was news footage of the real Chris Jeffries, it looked so much like him.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    This episode of BBC Radio 4's series A Life Less Ordinary about people thrust into the media, featuring Jefferies might be of interest to some, also features the Director of this drama.
    When he was released without charge three days after his arrest, Mr Jefferies had to be protected by friends and family from the media and the coverage it had already published.
    He changed his appearance and was unable to return to his home for months. Now, in the first part of a new series of 'A Life Less Ordinary', he examines some of the worst excesses of the coverage, sometimes for the first time, in a bid to describe what it's like to be thrust into the media spotlight in such a dramatic way
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember another lady called Joanne who went missing and the boyfriend wept and pleaded for her to be found, when all the while he;d murdered her and hidden her body in a cupboard.

I have a vague recollection of a case like that. Wasn't it around Valentine's Day one year?
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ProKitzel wrote: »
    It's strange that if people are slightly eccentric they immediately get branded as some sort of pervert.

It seems that in some sections of the media, and some sectiond of society, if you are a middle-aged man who lives alone and are deemed "slightly eccentric" if anything happens that grabs the media attention, especially if a child goes missing or a woman in murdered you are automatically guilty, as this case amply demonstrated.

However what those sections of the media didn't count on was Christopher Jeffries fighting back and taking them to court for the way they had pilloried him.
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must admit i had forgotten about the boyfriend and the suspicions of the mob against him. Of course, many murders are "domestics" so naturally family and friends are investigated - I remember another lady called Joanne who went missing and the boyfriend wept and pleaded for her to be found, when all the while he;d murdered her and hidden her body in a cupboard.

I do wonder if 24-hour news - whether on TV or the net - is to blame for the mob mentality. No time for considered thought and sober reflection - it all has to be NOW.

When the police ask family members to do a public appeal the purpose can be two-fold. Firstly to appeal for further information to catch the perpetrator but also so they can study the body-language and behaviour of those giving the press conference if they think they might be involved. Mick And Mairead Philpott, who murdered their children in the house fire in Derby, are perfect examples of this.
This discussion has been closed.