Options

"High Demand In Your Area" On Demand Error

steven123steven123 Posts: 3,245
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Since upgrading my Virgin Media TV service to include the VHD box and a V+ box in June, I found the on-demand to be very reliable for the first few months and rarely ever saw an error message. I might have occasionally had the high demand error but usually just selecting the programme again would resolve this.

However, over the last month the on-demand seems to have deteriorated a lot. I regularly get the high demand in your area error message, can't remember the code exactly but I think it was either 9127 or 9130. Trying to play the programme again just results in the message again. Usually waiting will allow me to watch it but sometimes it can be hours later before it actually lets me watch it.

I have had this problem with BBC iPlayer, TV choice (Warner TV channel and South Park) and Picture Box which is particularly annoying since that's a paid for service. This problem has mainly been occurring on my Samsung V+ box and the odd thing is the problem doesn't seem to happen as much on the Cisco VHD box. Not sure if that is because generally different on-demand programmes are watched on the different boxes or some other factor e.g. the Samsung being on a longer cable run and having an additional splitter on its cable (to connect the cable modem)

Anyone else having this problem, if so were you able to resolve it?

Comments

• Options
    brendagoatsbrendagoats Posts: 495
    Forum Member
    Nearly always get that error if i want to watch HD in catch up.
  • Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every night this week.It's too late at night though to get out of bed to ring 'team India' and quote the on screen error number.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What has stopped me calling them so far is that it is such an annoyingly intermittent problem that if they did send an engineer out to look at it, you could be certain it would behave perfectly and make me look like an idiot/liar.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steven123 wrote: »
    What has stopped me calling them so far is that it is such an annoyingly intermittent problem that if they did send an engineer out to look at it, you could be certain it would behave perfectly and make me look like an idiot/liar.

Exactly,last week I could not get either ESPN HD or Eurosport HD so I rand 'Team India' and they told me to ring again if it's the same in 24 hours.

Of course,23 hours later the channels were back. Only seem to have this problem with HD channels and On Demand HD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But rather than 'in your area' it seems to be EVERY AREA!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    just try again immediately and it usually works
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    I get this problem on a regular basis - Usually on a Sunday afternoon. When I have phoned to report I have been advised to try again in 24 hours which makes a bit of a joke of the service being "OnDemand" if you have to watch when VM decide you can!

Is there nothing VM can do to sort this problem out? The call centre really dont seem to care that I am patyng for a service they are not providing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    coulsontom wrote: »
    just try again immediately and it usually works

I found in the past this was the case but lately this just hasn't worked at all and only trying again hours later (by which time it is usually too late to watch it anyway) has it worked.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jaysurrey wrote: »
    I get this problem on a regular basis - Usually on a Sunday afternoon. When I have phoned to report I have been advised to try again in 24 hours which makes a bit of a joke of the service being "OnDemand" if you have to watch when VM decide you can!

Is there nothing VM can do to sort this problem out? The call centre really dont seem to care that I am patyng for a service they are not providing.

Yeah it really isn't right. On demand is a great service, with an amazing range of stuff on tap, its Virgin's major benefit over Sky, and indeed they promote it plenty, so you would think they would make sure it works as well as possible.

Saying that, I was using on-demand last night and it worked perfectly on everything I watched, its so unpredictable.
  • Options
    ek-ukek-uk Posts: 2,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jaysurrey wrote: »

Keep complaining. I see on another forum VM staff saying they monitor for this problem and upgrade areas where necessary. I used to occasionally get it in my area but haven't done for months even though I am watching more HD ondemand because I am on the picture box free trial. Like you say they should take the complaint seriously because you are not getting the service you are paying for.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    Same here this evening - The Apprentice HD catchup not available, SD absolutely fine. The "support" person from VM didn't really know much, and said the fault would be fixed in 24 hours - of course it will, but not because of any action by VM.

Even with the super headend upgrades they still don't have enough capacity. Obviously my comment as such went straight over the head of the support guy who didn't know which way was up. I mentioned network capacity for TiVO and that went over his head even more.

Saying that.. the bunch of Business Bulls***t speaking morons in The Apprentice don't deserve HD :) is it me, or does the quality of recruits get worse and worse every series!
  • Options
    mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    It must be really annoying for those affected but I don't ever remember having this problem (please note I am most certainly not a VM fanboy as they are are sometimes referred to), I have The Apprentice HD on now and it works fine.

I know people say it's because an area is oversubscribed, something I don't really understand and find totally unacceptable when they constantly boast about 50mb and soon to be 100mb broadband but I live in an urban area like most VM customers and there are lots of people just in my street alone who have the service.
  • Options
    ek-ukek-uk Posts: 2,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mersey70 wrote: »
    It must be really annoying for those affected but I don't ever remember having this problem (please note I am most certainly not a VM fanboy as they are are sometimes referred to), I have The Apprentice HD on now and it works fine.

I know people say it's because an area is oversubscribed, something I don't really understand and find totally unacceptable when they constantly boast about 50mb and soon to be 100mb broadband but I live in an urban area like most VM customers and there are lots of people just in my street alone who have the service.

This was discussed in another thread recently Mersey and apparently the ondemand service has nothing to do with broadband speeds or broadband over subscription. It is the ondemand servers that are oversubscribed if an area has this issue.
  • Options
    BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    Saying that.. the bunch of Business Bulls***t speaking morons in The Apprentice don't deserve HD :) is it me, or does the quality of recruits get worse and worse every series!

If they got better, it wouldn't make for much entertainment, would it? :) (Regardless of SD/HD)
  • Options
    mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    ek-uk wrote: »
    This was discussed in another thread recently Mersey and apparently the ondemand service has nothing to do with broadband speeds or broadband over subscription. It is the ondemand servers that are oversubscribed if an area has this issue.

Sorry I wasn't clear, I mean that they seem happy to upgrade their network for faster and faster broadband but seem to neglect their on demand services, no doubt as they are not as profitable. It's not on, particularly when they also boast about how wonderful their on demand offerings are.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    I've had the same problem for months now. Also sometimes only the HD versions of programmes are available. I wouldn't mind if I had an HD Set-top box. Does anyone else here ever have this problem?