Options

Miserable

Does anyone think there is a future for Vision, given that content providers seem to be leaving it, and the regular posters here seem to be more interested in an alternative forthcoming 'budget' service?

Comments

• Options
    pete1pete1 Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    The only way forward for BT vision is to supply more programmes such as Sky 1, Discovery, History etc. and Sky movie channels via their broadband service as there is not sufficient capacity on DTT. Otherwise Sky and Virgin together with You View will be well ahead of them!
  • Options
    alexdn32alexdn32 Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    I think BT Vision will morph into YouView personally, Even Sky are looking at it.
  • Options
    pete1pete1 Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    The basic problem with IPTV both BT Vision and You View is the capacity of the internet. Clearly if everyone in the country was to try and watch a different programme (or different bits of the same programme) at the same time the internet will collapse as there is not sufficient capacity or bandwidth will be reduced until programs are unwatchable. On the other hand with BT vision and a relatively low take-up at present the system works. I would imagine that 'real time' channels would place much less demand in the capacity of the system.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alexdn32 wrote: »
    I think BT Vision will morph into YouView personally, Even Sky are looking at it.

i agree with you, BTV will have a place on you View that only BT broadband user can access.

The problem is how long will it be before the ones who provide content to BT, decide that they would like it open to a larger market and put it on you view for everyone.

I think BT knows that they may lose customers when You View comes out, which is why they are getting involved.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    alexdn32 wrote: »

I don't think it will actually morph into Youview, it will just be integrated; i.e. BT Vision will be a paid on-demand service that can be acceseed from Youview. The two will be quite separate.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    pete1 wrote: »
    The only way forward for BT vision is to supply more programmes such as Sky 1, Discovery, History etc. and Sky movie channels via their broadband service as there is not sufficient capacity on DTT. Otherwise Sky and Virgin together with You View will be well ahead of them!

It is highly unlikey that live TV channels will be provided via broadband. It doesn't happen now and I can't see what would want BT to change their strategy on this.
  • Options
    stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    Poolie62 wrote: »
    It is highly unlikey that live TV channels will be provided via broadband. It doesn't happen now and I can't see what would want BT to change their strategy on this.

it does, Homechoice/tiscali/talktalk have been doing it for years!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting responses.

I'm speculating wildly here, but I would expect organisations like Blockbuster or Lovefilm to offer PPV movies directly to YouView viewers. Thus circumnavigating some of BT's revenue.

Another posibility is that Sky and ESPN may decide to stream their EPL games (and other events) on a PPV basis, meaning that the casual sports fan no longer needs to sign up to one of BT's contracts.

If that's the case, the future looks bleak for Vision, but it is only my speculation which I throw in the ring for discussion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poolie62 wrote: »
    I don't think it will actually morph into Youview, it will just be integrated; i.e. BT Vision will be a paid on-demand service that can be acceseed from Youview. The two will be quite separate.

I think it will eventually, once you view is out and it proves to be reliable then I can see BT getting rid of the Vision box and all new customers will have a You View box, but I bet it will either be more expensive or they will be tied into a stupid contract for 24 months.

why would Bt want to pay money out to have a box made when there will be one on the market?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MostynDS wrote: »
    Interesting responses.

I'm speculating wildly here, but I would expect organisations like Blockbuster or Lovefilm to offer PPV movies directly to YouView viewers. Thus circumnavigating some of BT's revenue.

Lovefilm is already available on some T.v's and on the PS3. I have no idea what it is like as to get it on my PS3 I have to update my lovefilm package, something I am unwilling to do until I know how good the streaming service is

Another posibility is that Sky and ESPN may decide to stream their EPL games (and other events) on a PPV basis, meaning that the casual sports fan no longer needs to sign up to one of BT's contracts.

Maybe, but they will make sure it cost more than if you had a subscription, certainly Sky anyway. Sky would prefer you to have a subscription with them on their equipment.
    If that's the case, the future looks bleak for Vision, but it is only my speculation which I throw in the ring for discussion.

the future looks bleak for T.v full stop
  • Options
    Pure GeniusPure Genius Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    Interesting responses.

I think you are potentially right. To have any success with BTV, BT need to open it up to other ISP's or charge signifcantly less for it overall.

the price (and need for BTTB) strangles it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you are potentially right. To have any success with BTV, BT need to open it up to other ISP's or charge signifcantly less for it overall.

the price (and need for BTTB) strangles it.

The price of BT vision it self is not that bad to be honest, £15 a month for the lowest subscription and you get two packages with that. The lowest one for Sky is £18.

The problem is that the content is not that good, saying that sky content is not that great either and you got little choice with Sky in what channels you can have. they come in mixes with Sky, so if a couple of channels you want are on two mixes, then you got to get two mixes.

With BTV, you got a choice of content, so the T.v package will have content from all sorts of channels, documentaries, series, comedy, That is the theory anyway

So content could be better, but the main problem is that BT broadband is expensive and to be honest not that good. Improve the quality, put the price down, stop shaping so much, get rid of the stupid profiling they use and maybe, just maybe they would do better.

I think BT vision as it is now will vanish eventually, even if You View don't become a roaring success Bt will keep it going as long as they don't lose money though it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    Lovefilm is already available on some T.v's and on the PS3. I have no idea what it is like as to get it on my PS3 I have to update my lovefilm package, something I am unwilling to do until I know how good the streaming service is

I can get it on my sony TV. I don't though as it doesn't include subtitles which I find we need. However. I can also get the BBC iPlayer service on the TV which I assume will be similar quality and that's free so I use it. It streams very well. We've watched several programmes a week on it since it became available and only on one night was there a problem and that seemed to be related to a glitch in my connection for about 30 minutes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    llysdyfrig wrote: »
    I can get it on my sony TV. I don't though as it doesn't include subtitles which I find we need. However. I can also get the BBC iPlayer service on the TV which I assume will be similar quality and that's free so I use it. It streams very well. We've watched several programmes a week on it since it became available and only on one night was there a problem and that seemed to be related to a glitch in my connection for about 30 minutes.

Iplayer is fine here, on the Wii and okish on the PS3, but works far better on the Wii for some reason
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Iplayer is fine here, on the Wii and okish on the PS3, but works far better on the Wii for some reason

that's because it's a dedicated application built around the needs of the wii.

the PS3 version is simply a link to the online version we use a PC. the PC version we use has a bigscreen switch for use with TV's. the PS3 defaults to that.

it's url is http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/bigscreen/ as you can see, no bbc1 Hd and no bbc HD.

incredibly frustrating. sine the Ps3 is a major Hi-Def bit of kit. yet BBC HD is not avaliable....

stick to the wii. sony skimped out on it.
  • Options
    DaccoDacco Posts: 3,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone think there is a future for Vision, given that content providers seem to be leaving it, and the regular posters here seem to be more interested in an alternative forthcoming 'budget' service?

Wouldn'nt worry about it, Youview will change everything. It wil be quite a kick up the pants to $ky and the other B/Casters. Suspect $ky will be just a content provider in 10 years time.....:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that's because it's a dedicated application built around the needs of the wii.

the PS3 version is simply a link to the online version we use a PC. the PC version we use has a bigscreen switch for use with TV's. the PS3 defaults to that.

it's url is http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/bigscreen/ as you can see, no bbc1 Hd and no bbc HD.

so all the icon is doing is what I did before sony introduce the icon, if you understand what I mean

incredibly frustrating. sine the Ps3 is a major Hi-Def bit of kit. yet BBC HD is not avaliable....

The problem is many people would complain as they would not be able to use the HD streams. It would be nice if there was a way to download the stuff to the PS3 hard drive

stick to the wii. sony skimped out on it.

I think so, the quality also seems better on the Wii for some reason.
    Also nice to use thanks to the Wii controller.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dacco wrote: »
    Wouldn'nt worry about it, Youview will change everything. It wil be quite a kick up the pants to $ky and the other B/Casters. Suspect $ky will be just a content provider in 10 years time.....:)

Dream on. Sky will be here for a long time, like it or lump it. They may change a bit, but in ten years time they will still be here and will have more customers than they do now.

For years now people have said that Sky will fail, what they do is change. Most of what Sky do is being a content provider, most of the channels on their platform belongs to other providers.

Look how Sky have changed in the last few years alone, going from a normal SD sat box, to Sky+ and now Sky HD, also they introduced their Sky Anytime, which is a bit iffy I must admit. they also branched out into broadband and now launched their Anytime+

I am not that fond of Sky myself, but they are no different than any other big company, they will do what they can to put money into their bank.

I doubt You View will make much difference to Sky, I was told that Free Sat would make a difference and yet it have not, Sky is still growing, people are still spending more money with Sky.

I have no idea where people find the time to watch it all mind you, but it seems like they do.

i got loads fo stuff on my Freeview PVR and that is just after 3 weeks, I don't find the time to watch that, so how any one can find the time to watch the stuff on Sky I don't know.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    With C5 leaving and ITV and C4 going PS3 I am going to dump Replay TV and just use it as a Freeview box
  • Options
    DaccoDacco Posts: 3,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dream on. Sky will be here for a long time, like it or lump it. They may change a bit, but in ten years time they will still be here and will have more customers than they do now.

For years now people have said that Sky will fail, what they do is change. Most of what Sky do is being a content provider, most of the channels on their platform belongs to other providers.

Look how Sky have changed in the last few years alone, going from a normal SD sat box, to Sky+ and now Sky HD, also they introduced their Sky Anytime, which is a bit iffy I must admit. they also branched out into broadband and now launched their Anytime+

I am not that fond of Sky myself, but they are no different than any other big company, they will do what they can to put money into their bank.

I doubt You View will make much difference to Sky, I was told that Free Sat would make a difference and yet it have not, Sky is still growing, people are still spending more money with Sky.

I have no idea where people find the time to watch it all mind you, but it seems like they do.

i got loads fo stuff on my Freeview PVR and that is just after 3 weeks, I don't find the time to watch that, so how any one can find the time to watch the stuff on Sky I don't know.

Not really dreaming at all, just my opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dacco wrote: »
    Not really dreaming at all, just my opinion.

May be your opinion, but I don't think many people will have the same opinion.

think of it, who is going to pay the high prices for Sport that Sky pay? BBc won't, ITV can't, Channel 4 or 5? not on your Nelly.

So that leaves, no one

i am not a fan of Sky by a long way, but I can see that they are not going to go anywhere for a very long time and people should get that into their head.

There is no other company that can offer the choice at the price, BT vision can't, Top up T.V can't and Virgin media just sold off all their channels and they don't have the coverage anyway.

you View may or may not be any good, but I think it will be too fragmented and if there is no central pay system, them people will get confused.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    so all the icon is doing is what I did before sony introduce the icon, if you understand what I mean

The problem is many people would complain as they would not be able to use the HD streams. It would be nice if there was a way to download the stuff to the PS3 hard drive

I think so, the quality also seems better on the Wii for some reason.
    Also nice to use thanks to the Wii controller.

Yep, exactly as you were doing before. agreed though a HD download client would be nice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, exactly as you were doing before. agreed though a HD download client would be nice.

It would be , it can't be that difficult surely?
    I done a test yesterday before I went to work, I streamed HD from the BBC I player with my computer to see if it would work, because according to the BBC it would not, but it did

I think when I build my new computer, this one is going to be put downstairs by my t.V, but in a smaller case
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It would be , it can't be that difficult surely?
    I done a test yesterday before I went to work, I streamed HD from the BBC I player with my computer to see if it would work, because according to the BBC it would not, but it did

I think when I build my new computer, this one is going to be put downstairs by my t.V, but in a smaller case

Yep, theres a few good deals on ebay with regards to media cases. if you need a hand with windows 7's media centre's hidden extras... jus give us a shout. (believe it or not you can get WMC7 to use more than 2 tuners....., give it web access....., logos in guide......)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, theres a few good deals on ebay with regards to media cases. if you need a hand with windows 7's media centre's hidden extras... jus give us a shout. (believe it or not you can get WMC7 to use more than 2 tuners....., give it web access....., logos in guide......)

Thanks for that, it will be a while yet, got other things to sort out.

Not too bothered about two tuners to be honest, I have got a Asus T.v card, that will do, only single tuner. works fine in windows 7.

Just had a look though the box to make sure I still got the half height back plate, but then i still need a a case able to take the video card.