Options

What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Sean Thomas Cadigan's Newfoundland and Labrador: A History which is actually more interesting than the title might seem. This province of Canada was once a separate dominion of the British Empire and after WWII, a choice was offered - stay as a separate dominion under British influence or join Canada as new a province.
  • Options
    Icequeen761Icequeen761 Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    Testament of Experience - Vera Brittain
  • Options
    planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    Testament of Experience - Vera Brittain

oh i loved that, i hope you have lots of tissues though....

Have just started The Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko and am enjoying it so far.
  • Options
    Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,334,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jangle All The Way • Johnny Nocash
  • Options
    Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm reading The Shock of the Fall now, and enjoying it so far.
  • Options
    Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Mark Billingham - The Bones Beneath
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    I'm now reading Alpha Centauri - Unveiling the Secrets of Our Nearest Stellar Neighbor which is about the three nearest Centauri stars to Earth (other than the Sun) and other nearby stars.

I've now read two factual books in a row and I must make sure that my next one's a fiction book!
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »
    Penpal - Dathan Auerbach - I think I bought this because it was on offer on Amazon but I don't usually read horror so I'm kind of regretting it. Oh well, it's quite short and I'll just see how it goes.

Quoting myself, but this was actually a lot better than I'd expected - I found it more sad than scary although there was one point at about 90% where I had to stop reading at bedtime!

Now I'm reading The Crossing Places by Elly Griffiths, a thriller featuring a forensic archaeologist and police detective - I accidentally read no. 6 in the series recently so now I'm starting at no.1.
  • Options
    Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »
    Now I'm reading The Crossing Places by Elly Griffiths, a thriller featuring a forensic archaeologist and police detective - I accidentally read no. 6 in the series recently so now I'm starting at no.1.
    I've just finished The Crossing Places, I thought it was very good.

I'm now reading Stone Mattress: Nine Tales by Margaret Atwood. Nine short stories, the first three of which are related. A common theme of aging in all the stories, apparently the author is in her seventies now.

I've finished the first tale, it's called Alphinland. An elderly widow is coping with an ice storm and reminiscing about the past. Fortunately her dead husband is around to dispense advice on household tasks. Beautiful writing and quirky stories, I love Margaret Atwood.
    The freezing rain sifts down, handfuls of shining rice thrown by some unseen celebrant. Wherever it hits, it crystallizes into a granulated coating of ice. In the streetlights it looks so beautiful, like fairy silver, thinks Constance. But then, she would think that; she's far too prone to enchantment.
  • Options
    ReddybookReddybook Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    Orphan Train - Christine Baker Kline
    Very absorbing read. I really didn't want it to end.
  • Options
    clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,645
    Forum Member
    Sword of Rome by Douglas Jackson

Book 4 in the Gaius Valerius Verrens series of Roman novels, a series which starts brilliantly and just gets better from there.
  • Options
    cathy27cathy27 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    Scarred for Life - Kerry Wilkinson. Finished this yesterday.

Now onto Obsessed by T R Ragan.
  • Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Endangered by C J Box
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Janus Stone - Elly Griffiths - the second in the series featuring the forensic archaeologist and police detective. Only a few chapters in and I already think it will live up to the standard of the first one which I finished earlier today.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A friend lent me a copy of Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman as I said I'd always intended to read some of Pratchett's work and never got around to it.
    I have to say though that I'm not really enjoying it so far:( and I'm wondering if I should've started with the Discworld novels as an introduction to his writing.
    I'll persevere though, as I'm only a quarter in.
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Argos catalogue.
  • Options
    Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yvie123 wrote: »
    A friend lent me a copy of Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman as I said I'd always intended to read some of Pratchett's work and never got around to it.
    I have to say though that I'm not really enjoying it so far:( and I'm wondering if I should've started with the Discworld novels as an introduction to his writing.
    I'll persevere though, as I'm only a quarter in.

Good Omens is my favourite Terry Pratchett book, but I'm sure it doesn't appeal to everyone! Discworld novels don't really need to be read in order, if you want to read one of the later ones, Going Postal introduces a new main character and could be read as a standalone book.

I'd also recommend Nation. It's not part of the Discworld series and, although it is aimed at YA readers, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's set in an alternate version of the mid 1800s and is about the after effects of a tsunami on a small island community. Excellent.

I'm currently listening to the audiobook edition of The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter. I'm only a couple of chapters in, but I'm afraid that, so far, it hasn't grabbed me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Sue - I'd always wondered about where to start with Discworld:) I'll add those to my reading list:)
  • Options
    timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just started the first of the 'Jack Aubrey & Steven Maturin'
    novels by Patrick O'Brian 'Master and Commander'
    Liking it so far, and there are 20 books in the series (plus a
    21st Unfinished one) so plenty to go at If I decide to read them
    all!
    They filmed 'Master and Commander' using material from
    about three different stories in the series, or so I am led to
    believe. Whilst I can take or leave Russell Crowe, I found the
    film an enjoyable tale, of its period.
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    I finished "Daughter" by Jane Shemilt this morning. I enjoyed it a lot and wasn't expecting the ending at all. :) I'm hoping for a film adaption though a google search came back with nothing as of yet.

I started "The First Phone Call From Heaven" by Mitch Albom this afternoon.

I'd like to read "Love Letters To The Dead" by Ava Dellaira next. I'd need to buy it first though.
  • Options
    Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Ann Cleeves - A lesson in dying
  • Options
    cathy27cathy27 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    I'm about to start Elly Griffiths - The Crossing Places, I've seen some other people have read this lately and said it was good so giving it a try.