The X Files Returns - How will they make it work?

2»

Comments

• BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    There was form for returning to certain characters though - Billy Loomis, Tooms, Donnie Pfaster for example.

That being said, yeah, they'll probably go with new monsters for the new episodes.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tooms, I could deffo see a return of that. He remains a fan fav.

Plus Billy Miles, who was Mulder and Scully's first case. He would later return several years later and become a super soldier. He was a key character in terms of the mythology, despite only two appearances.
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    Seems I got X Files mixed up with Scream there. Yeah, I meant Billy Miles....:D
  • FrostyJimFrostyJim Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Plus Billy Miles, who was Mulder and Scully's first case. He would later return several years later and become a super soldier. He was a key character in terms of the mythology, despite only two appearances.

Erm.....didn't they kill him? Seem to recall something with an escalator...:confused:
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member

Love Tooms. Just spent the evening watching Squeeze, great episode. :kitty:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FrostyJim wrote: »
    Erm.....didn't they kill him? Seem to recall something with an escalator...:confused:

This is the x files. No one dies. Look how many times Cigarette Smoking Man cheated death.
  • hammiehammie Posts: 592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really hyped for this comeback. Im rewatching the series at the moment. Even though he was definitevly killed in the truth. It wouldnt surprise me if CSM popped up again. Chris carter once called the character the devil in an interview and said the devil never dies dies.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be very interesting if they brought back Lucy Lawless's character. They had planned to bring her back in the series finale, but Lucy Lawless had become pregnant and was ordered by doctor's for strict bed rest. She was one of those characters who I felt could of been explored more, and she was slightly vital to the Super Soldier storyline. But then it all depends on Lucy Lawless's schedule, as she is doing Salem and Evil Vs Dead. But it was just a small thought.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I lost track towards the end too. I just remember feeling that when Anderson became pregnant in real life they had to somehow work that into the series. Had she not, it perhaps wouldn't have gone down the path it did, where it did all seem to lose the plot a bit.

I'll be interested enough to see what they do with it now though - especially as they are both undoubtedly better actors than they were when the original series started.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    I lost track towards the end too. I just remember feeling that when Anderson became pregnant in real life they had to somehow work that into the series. Had she not, it perhaps wouldn't have gone down the path it did, where it did all seem to lose the plot a bit.

I'll be interested enough to see what they do with it now though - especially as they are both undoubtedly better actors than they were when the original series started.

Gillian Anderson wasn't pregnant at all in season 8. She was only pregnant during the second half of season 1 and the early episodes of season 2. They had it planned it as early as season 6/7 that Scully would become pregnant, so that path was always going to be set in stone.
  • Mr Master XMr Master X Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This should be good and I am looking forward to it, but I am pissed as well since it now makes S10 X-files/S3 Millenium non-canon already. I doubt we'll get a S11 of X-files now. Sigh...one of the few comics I was still getting.
  • kobiashimaruxkobiashimarux Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    massive squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee about damn time
  • Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

seems like 2015 going to be the year of comebacks as i've heard rumours of a bewitched full house, married with children all could be having sequels.
  • CaligCalig Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    David Duchovny drops hints on the upcoming episodes.
    Duchovny says the new X-Files won’t ignore all of the time that has passed since the series ended. He doesn’t want it to be a reboot or whatever where they just make the same show again, it’ll be a continuation that takes into account how “legit” The X-Files has been since the beginning. Finally, in terms of actual information about the new X-Files, Duchovny expects it to be a mix of serialized mythology stories and monster-of-the-week adventures, and he’s “pretty sure” it will “begin and end with the mythology.”

http://www.avclub.com/article/david-duchovny-says-he-and-gillian-anderson-will-a-217215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Skinner and Smoking Man confirmed
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Apparently Skinner and CSM haven't yet been confirmed, or at least the actors haven't. Duchovny simply spoke a bit complacently about them.

I'd happily see Skinner come back, along with Doggett and Reyes at some stage too. But as much as I love CSM I think his story really is done. His final death closed the nine main seasons of the show, and a subsequent return would both cheapen his appearance back then as well as leave less room for new content here.

My personal preference for how this miniseries will pan out...

Ep1 - Mythology storyline that gets Mulder, Scully and Skinner back into The X Files. Maybe extended length episode to cover the backstory a little bit for the sake of new viewers?

Ep2 - Standalone monster-of-the-week storyline.

Ep 3 - Standalone monster-of-the-week storyline.

Ep 4 - Standalone monster-of-the-week storyline, which maybe escalates and turns out to be part of a mythology storyline.

Ep 5 - Mythology storyline, brings back Doggett and Reyes as well. Ends with cliffhanger.

Ep 6 - Mythology storyline, with Mulder, Scully, Doggett and Reyes. Serves as a conclusion to The X Files, though ends with one of those ambiguous open-ended conclusions that would allow the show to come back again with a new lead cast, and possibly guest appearances from Mulder and Scully if Duchovny and Anderson would be up for such a thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently Skinner and CSM haven't yet been confirmed, or at least the actors haven't. Duchovny simply spoke a bit complacently about them.

I'd happily see Skinner come back, along with Doggett and Reyes at some stage too. But as much as I love CSM I think his story really is done. His final death closed the nine main seasons of the show, and a subsequent return would both cheapen his appearance back then as well as leave less room for new content here.

My personal preference for how this miniseries will pan out...

Ep1 - Mythology storyline that gets Mulder, Scully and Skinner back into The X Files. Maybe extended length episode to cover the backstory a little bit for the sake of new viewers?

Ep2 - Standalone monster-of-the-week storyline.

Ep 3 - Standalone monster-of-the-week storyline.

Ep 4 - Standalone monster-of-the-week storyline, which maybe escalates and turns out to be part of a mythology storyline.

Ep 5 - Mythology storyline, brings back Doggett and Reyes as well. Ends with cliffhanger.

Ep 6 - Mythology storyline, with Mulder, Scully, Doggett and Reyes. Serves as a conclusion to The X Files, though ends with one of those ambiguous open-ended conclusions that would allow the show to come back again with a new lead cast, and possibly guest appearances from Mulder and Scully if Duchovny and Anderson would be up for such a thing.

I like your idea
  • tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ditto on the squeeeee.

Personally, I just want them to forget the whole colonisation storyline. Unless they devoted all six episodes to it then I don't know how they'd have enough time to tell it while helping new viewers understand what's going on while making it interesting (which they failed to do mythology-wise for the last three seasons).

And I think the writers are good enough to come up with a few new original standalones without it having to be the return of some ex-character.

With only six episodes this time I feel like these are going to be really memorable. It must be hard to keep the quality high when you're under pressure to churn out 20+ episodes year on year and I'm sure that criticism of the episodes (and last movie) will have been taken on board.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They shouldn't dedicate too much time in helping new viewers. Because what person skips nine seasons and two films and decides to start watching from a six part mini-series. You wouldn't realistically do that.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I like your idea
    Thank you! :):D
    They shouldn't dedicate too much time in helping new viewers. Because what person skips nine seasons and two films and decides to start watching from a six part mini-series. You wouldn't realistically do that.

At the same time though they'll be hoping to ignite interest in new viewers who may go back to the old material, which will help increase sales of merchandise (and perhaps in turn get a 'new X Files' off the ground, or multiple miniseries perhaps). It'll perhaps be best to take a similar approach to how Doctor Who was relaunched - it respected and addressed the continuity that came before it, but was also aware that a lot of time had passed since it had last been seen (16 years off air, compared to X Files' 14...discounting the canonical movies that each franchise had before they were respectively revived) and so instead focused on new continuity and telling new stories within the framework that the old ones had left it. :)
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    The return date is confirmed..24 January 2016.

http://www.cnet.com/news/the-x-files-officially-coming-back-to-your-tv-screen-in-january/

Can't wait.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so happy that this is happening!