Am I a homophobe?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,093
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Let's get this out of the way first: I am a proud Catholic :D

I respect homosexuals just as equal as I respect everybody else from all walks of life, and accept that they are very much part of our society today, and rightly so.

However I share the belief, which is one of the most controversial today, that homosexuals should not engage in sexual intercourse.

Two of my closest friends are gay and they do respect my beliefs, but obviously don't agree with it!

But does this make me a homophobe?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    You'd only be a homophobe if you thought gay men and women were somewhat lesser people because of them being gay.

I just think your views are slightly old fashioned and ignorant (ignorant in the fact that you seem to accept homosexuality, but deny that they should have sex like everyone else, when sex is part of life).
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To some you are.To others not.It all depends how PC they are.
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I respect homosexuals just as equal as I respect everybody else from all walks of life, and accept that they are very much part of our society today, and rightly so.

However I share the belief, which is one of the most controversial today, that homosexuals should not engage in sexual intercourse.

Two of my closest friends are gay and they do respect my beliefs, but obviously don't agree with it!

Do you also not eat pork? Touch the skin of an unclean animal? Want to stone to death anyone who works on the Sunday?

If you believe in that particular section of Leviticus then you must adher to the other laws and rules too...
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you OK with them holding hands? Is that OK with you? How about kissing??

Why are you bothered about people having sex, have you not got your own life to concentrate on?
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    m.p.a
  • 44444444 Posts: 1,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a Catholic, but I'm also gay.

Should I not engage in homosexual intercourse either, then?
  • Flyboy152Flyboy152 Posts: 14,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This has nothing to do with political correctness. The OP's opinions and views are valid to their perspective, but they are incongruous with any interpretation of logic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you OK with them holding hands? Is that OK with you? How about kissing??

Why are you bothered about people having sex, have you not got your own life to concentrate on?

Did I say I wasn't?!

My life is based around my faith so I can't ignore what I believe in.

I respect all your opinions btw :)
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dunno about homophobic, but it certainly makes you nosy.
  • wallo mr slugwallo mr slug Posts: 9,734
    Forum Member
    How can you say in one sentence that you respect them equally and then go on to say something which clearly shows you don't.

If you think it's wrong that they have sex, you don't view them as equals.

I understand you being uncomfortable with the thought of it, many people are and that doesn;t make them homophobes. But to state that it;s wrong is a slightly different matter, especially as you haven;t offered any reasoning behind it.

I guess maybe you should explain what;s wrong about it.
  • ginockginock Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why does how people live their lives bother you?
  • Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    worms can open
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretend they don't have sex. Don't even think that they can. Then it's all cool. I like to imagine my parents and grandparents don't or can't have sex. It makes things easier when talking to them.
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    Do you also not eat pork? Touch the skin of an unclean animal? Want to stone to death anyone who works on the Sunday?

If you believe in that particular section of Leviticus then you must adher to the other laws and rules too...
    Ixnay onway ethay ickingpay andway oosingchay. ;)
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dunno about homophobic, but it certainly makes you nosy.

:D Lol
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can you say in one sentence that you respect them equally and then go on to say something which clearly shows you don't.

That's it for me in a nutshell.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 366
    Forum Member
    I don't get how you can say they are equals just as anyone else, but not have sex? That would be a slight hindrance on their sexuality to be honest.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member

Yes, it does. And I have no respect for that opinion whatsoever. What gives you the right to sit there and 'believe' that two people should not do what millions of other people do just because your religion tells you to.

The sheer arrogance of it astounds me. It would be as preposterous as me saying 'I like black people and respect them, but I don't think they should ever have sex or be involved in a sexual relationship'.

It beggars belief really.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My views come from Catholic teachings. One of the oldest being from the teaching of St Thomas Aquinas based around nature and purpose.

Sexual intercourse between homosexuals would be against the natural law, and that the purpose of sex is to reproduce.

These are my beliefs. I expect them to be criticised endlessly but I was wondering if I'm alone in these views on this forum.

I'm guessing to some of you I am a homophobe and to others I'm not.
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three words I thought I'd never post on this forum...

Do you masturbate?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My views come from Catholic teachings. One of the oldest being from the teaching of St Thomas Aquinas based around nature and purpose.

Sexual intercourse between homosexuals would be against the natural law, and that the purpose of sex is to reproduce.

These are my beliefs. I expect them to be criticised endlessly but I was wondering if I'm alone in these views on this forum.

I'm guessing to some of you I am a homophobe and to others I'm not.

Without wanting to sound like I am having a go at you as I am not but how do you feel about condoms? or the pill?

Are these things something you disagree with also?
  • Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    Three words I thought I'd never utter on this forum...

Do you masturbate?

Is that directed at anyone specifically or can we all join in?

:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ginock wrote: »
    Without wanting to sound like I am having a go at you as I am not but how do you feel about condoms? or the pill?

Are these things something you disagree with also?

They do not fulfil the natural law so yes, I am against them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,807
    Forum Member

I think your an arse... & no way are any of your 'best friends' gay... at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that directed at anyone specifically or can we all join in?

:eek:

Depends on how big the room is I guess...