Options

Why are VCRs so expensive?

My old VCR broke a year or two ago and Ive decided to start converting some old tapes to DVD. I was quite shocked I must say when I had a look at some sites and saw the prices they are going for, even second hand ones on eBay. Some are more then the price of a DVD recorder.

Comments

• Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Factory Shop were doing cheap VCRs for about £20. Haven't seen them for a couple of months though.
  • Options
    Oblido2007Oblido2007 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kargo wrote: »
    My old VCR broke a year or two ago and Ive decided to start converting some old tapes to DVD. I was quite shocked I must say when I had a look at some sites and saw the prices they are going for, even second hand ones on eBay. Some are more then the price of a DVD recorder.

Try this...

http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/vcr-to-pc/index.html
  • Options
    dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Oblido2007 wrote: »

Thank you, wow what a great bit of kit that is. shame about the price tag though! :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you, wow what a great bit of kit that is. shame about the price tag though! :eek:

a very expensive way of doing things!!!
  • Options
    Oblido2007Oblido2007 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know... I did ask if I could have this for me forthcoming birthday (which is now tomorrow!) but I would told where to go!!
  • Options
    joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,027
    Forum Member

They should not be, because they are now extinct
    and they have stopped making them,
    you should be able to pick one up now,
    that has a DVD Recorder Built next to it,
    so you can transfer the VCR Recording
    and put it onto a Blank DVD
    and some even come with a HDD Disk inside
    HDD stands for Hard Disk Drive,
    so you can Record straight onto the Machine

I hope this helps
  • Options
    pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    Yup old things eventually become commodities. If you really need one at this point, they know you might be willing to pay more..you wouldn't choose vcr if you had another choice...and anyone going to the trouble of selling such obsolete equipment needs decent profit to bother. It is like the price of ram, wait too long and it goes up in price again. Those that need that old ram don't really have much choice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A Sony betamax SL-HF100UB recently sold for over £300 on ebay

Decent kit will always become a collectors item, crap vcr's are often available in cash converters and the like for the price of a DVD, but the decent ones VHS or Beta will start commanding a price in years to come.
  • Options
    56up56up Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was thinking of scapping my old Panny VHS-HQ, but now I think I will hang on to it!
  • Options
    mattyl149mattyl149 Posts: 2,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a Sony 4 head one which I haven't use for ages, in fact I bought DVD not too much afterwards, but I had a bunch of recorded programmes. These have been scrapped now but I still have the VCR. I was going to give it away, but I think I will keep it now. I only have a couple of tapes left, including a Sega Mega CD promo video
  • Options
    steven123steven123 Posts: 3,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say you can get a good second hand VCR very cheaply indeed. I recently got a Sony SLV SE730 for £17 delivered. It was in excellent condition, looked like new and came with manual and remote.

The VCR I got before that was also a bargain, it was a JVC Super VHS, I got new about 7 years ago for about £25, really smart looking in silver with auto set up and a nice big clock on the front and still working well :)

Of course, on eBay, auctions can be quite random, sometimes things can go for a pittance, sometimes other bidders will push the price right up, just gotta keep at it and be patient.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    try a pawn shop/ cash converters type thing

they always seem to have loads of VCRs
  • Options
    AppleTangoAppleTango Posts: 1,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pop into your local BHF.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    post an add on you local freecycle group, often see them posted as people switch to dvd and pvr.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    If you think they are expensive you're looking in the wrong places I think.

Right now on Ebay there are a lot of VHS machines including a couple of SuperVHS recorders for around 10 to 15 pounds. Granted they are not new but as long as they are in good working order they will last for years, most of the decent quality JVC and Panasonic SVHS machines were pretty supernbly built and pretty bullet proof.

I have a JVC 7500 SVHS machine from the mid 90s and it is still going strong, although it is rarely used these days.

Granted some people on Ebay do seem to be extracting the urine, one guy is selling a Panasonic SVHS machine for £300 :eek::eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    If you think they are expensive you're looking in the wrong places I think.

Right now on Ebay there are a lot of VHS machines including a couple of SuperVHS recorders for around 10 to 15 pounds. Granted they are not new but as long as they are in good working order they will last for years, most of the decent quality JVC and Panasonic SVHS machines were pretty supernbly built and pretty bullet proof.

I have a JVC 7500 SVHS machine from the mid 90s and it is still going strong, although it is rarely used these days.

Granted some people on Ebay do seem to be extracting the urine, one guy is selling a Panasonic SVHS machine for £300 :eek::eek:

These LG have been going without bids from 15 quid

http://electronics.shop.ebay.co.uk/VCRs-/3318/i.html?_catref=1&_dmd=1&_fln=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_ssn=WILLEN_TRADING&_trksid=p3911.c0.m282
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is it true that no manufacturer make VCR's any more. Not even LG. Argos sell LG VCR's (brand new)

I have been wondering this for a while now.
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    Decent VCR's need not be expensive. I saved a lovely Panasonic Nicam stereo VCR (2002) from a bin recently. Perfect working order.

However, what makes some very expensive are those that have features that make archiving tapes to DVD a cleaner process. TBC (time base correction), DNR (digital noise reduction) and VCR's with S-Video out will always command a premium price as these features do make a difference and there is nothing new to replace them.

In fact used VCR's are not often expensive as such - just relative to other used electronics. Panasonic NV-HS1000 S-VHS deck sold in 1995 for £1000. Used they sell for £70-100, so under 1/10 of new. Good value.
  • Options
    Pugwash69Pugwash69 Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's got to be an element of supply-and-demand affecting price. When everyone wanted a VCR and every shop stocked them, they could be bought cheap. I paid in excess of £400 for a DVD player a long time ago. I know I went to Tesco that night to buy Gattaca and Godzilla on DVD!
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EXPENSIVE? Crikey, when we started selling the first VHS machines in about 1980, they cost over £500. I remember a bloke signing up for a Sharp 6300 on the drip, and the final cost was something like £699.
    They're dirt cheap now.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,528
    Forum Member
    Is it true that no manufacturer make VCR's any more. Not even LG. Argos sell LG VCR's (brand new)

I have been wondering this for a while now.

VCR died a long time ago, there were a few cheap crappy ones available from Supermarkets and Argos, who presumably had them specially made?.