Options

video freeview retune

filmfan7filmfan7 Posts: 3,429
Forum Member
✭✭✭
i have just bought a sony 40 inch lcd tv with freeview 1 as i can still recive analogue (till next year) i was able to tune my video to the 5 terrestrial channel no probs...but the video wont automaticly tune in the freeview channels avaible !..how can i tune in the freeview channels ie itv 2 bbc 3 etc ...there is a scart socket on video for the freeview (input) and one output (normally for satelite set top box )signal but the tv has 2 scart sockets one i use for dvd (av1) on tv and one for analogue video signal (av2)but there is a third av link on the back of tv (yellow pin socket with a white and red audio mono link pin socket (av3 on tv)...will a scart to this link socket on tv allow me to tune the video to the freeview channels ?..the video is analogue but im told i should be able to use it to record freeview digital programmes from the freeview channels .

Comments

• Options
    joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,027
    Forum Member
    filmfan7 wrote: »
    i have just bought a sony 40 inch lcd tv with freeview 1 as i can still recive analogue (till next year) i was able to tune my video to the 5 terrestrial channel no probs...but the video wont automaticly tune in the freeview channels avaible !..how can i tune in the freeview channels ie itv 2 bbc 3 etc ...there is a scart socket on video for the freeview (input) and one output (normally for satelite set top box )signal but the tv has 2 scart sockets one i use for dvd (av1) on tv and one for analogue video signal (av2)but there is a third av link on the back of tv (yellow pin socket with a white and red audio mono link pin socket (av3 on tv)...will a scart to this link socket on tv allow me to tune the video to the freeview channels ?..the video is analogue but im told i should be able to use it to record freeview digital programmes from the freeview channels .

You need to do an Automatic, First Time Install or the like on the Freeview box in question to tune into all the Freeview channels available in your area,
    by going into the Menu Screens, look at the Instructions or go to websites like Digital UK and TV Retune

www.digitaluk.co.uk
    www.tvretune.co.uk
  • Options
    StoppingServiceStoppingService Posts: 1,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi
    filmfan7 wrote: »
    will a scart to this link socket on tv allow me to tune the video to the freeview channels ?

Don't try to use a TV's tuner to record Freeview on a VCR.
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Of course by far the biggest problems with this connection set up are....

1/ Unable to watch and record two different digital channels.
    2/ TV has to be on all the time you want to record a digital channel, even if you are not at home.

The best solution is to ditch the VCR and get a PVR.

http://help.digitaluk.co.uk/display/4/kb/article.aspx?aid=6097

If you'd prefer to wait for switchover before buying a Freeview+ recorder (contemplate an HD model) for your HDTV (because HD signals may not yet be available), a clunkier solution which might be bearable if you make unattended recordings only 1-2 times per week and costs only £20, is to buy a supermarket Freeview box specifically to provide separate Freeview for the VCR to record. Connect thus:

http://www.ricability-digitaltv.org.uk/assets/images/diagrams/TVAnalogueTVSCART1STBSTBSCART1VCR.gif

Regards
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You cannot tune an analogue VCR into the Freeview channels. It simply does not have the technology to do that. What type of telly you have is completely irrelevant. The only way it can be used to record Freeview is by attaching an external device that can receive Freeview.

As posted above this is a bodge and is more trouble than it is worth frankly. It requires you to set up one box to the channel you wish to record then set the VCR to record at the appropriate time. And you may find it impossible to record ITV3, say, then later BBC 4 unattended because whatever box you use can't change channels on it's own.

Far easier is to buy a Freeview PVR. That gives you "point and click" recording. ie you just call up the programme guide on the box point at the programme you want and press a button. Then repeat until you run out of programmes to record (or fill the timer memory). And you can more often than not now record two channels at the same time. And record an entire series just by selecting one episode and telling the box to automatically record all the others.

Far far easier than faffing about with multiple boxes and multiple remotes.
  • Options
    filmfan7filmfan7 Posts: 3,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    You cannot tune an analogue VCR into the Freeview channels. It simply does not have the technology to do that. What type of telly you have is completely irrelevant. The only way it can be used to record Freeview is by attaching an external device that can receive Freeview.

As posted above this is a bodge and is more trouble than it is worth frankly. It requires you to set up one box to the channel you wish to record then set the VCR to record at the appropriate time. And you may find it impossible to record ITV3, say, then later BBC 4 unattended because whatever box you use can't change channels on it's own.

Far easier is to buy a Freeview PVR. That gives you "point and click" recording. ie you just call up the programme guide on the box point at the programme you want and press a button. Then repeat until you run out of programmes to record (or fill the timer memory). And you can more often than not now record two channels at the same time. And record an entire series just by selecting one episode and telling the box to automatically record all the others.

Far far easier than faffing about with multiple boxes and multiple remotes.

your right its just a temp measure till the dig signal comes in as id like to keep video a while longer even just to play old vids...would be better as you say to get a dvd recorder/ hard drive recorder which i can plug in to the many sockets on this tvs.! ...on pre sky+ boxes one could record the channels on to a video but technology has restricted this on the new sky + hard drives units .....technology eh ! haha ...perhaps the next generation is thought control recording haha ..many thanks
  • Options
    StoppingServiceStoppingService Posts: 1,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi

You can record digital TV from a Freeview box or Sky+ HD recorder having 1 Scart socket, to a VCR or DVDR having 2 Scart sockets (to view on an analogue TV) using the following connections:

To maintain the option to record analogue TV on the VCR or DVDR (until switchover/DSO), aerial leads should be connected Aerial to digital box (shown red); digital box to recorder (not shown); recorder to TV (not shown).

Regards