Options

mp`s expected to get 11% pay rise.........

annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
Forum Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25287108

are they for real?

david cameron described it as unthinkable at some point, but i`ll bet he won`t refuse it.

edit: apparently they aren`t allowed to refuse it, perhaps they could change the rules then, they managed it quick enough with benefits.

Comments

• Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But remember OP. As Unkie Dave Cameroon and Corporal Clegg once said "We're all in the together"...just that some are in it more than others!

SNOUTS IN THE TROUGH as usual!
  • Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    artnada wrote: »
    But remember OP. As Unkie Dave Cameroon and Corporal Clegg once said "We're all in the together"...just that some are in it more than others!

I think all three main parties leaders have rejected this raise when previously proposed, it does seem excessive and insensitive.

Mind you can anyone on this board honestly say they have ever rejected a pay rise cause it was too much.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I don't think 74 grand is too much for an MP to earn. I wouldn't do the job for twice that amount.
  • Options
    Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think 'how can they sleep at night' is even an answerable question anymore, if it ever was. Talk about making a pact with Satan.
  • Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I don't think 74 grand is too much for an MP to earn. I wouldn't do the job for twice that amount.

Very true who in their right mind would want to be an MP.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's highly provocative, when other public sector workers are restricted to 1%, and indeed, pay rises generally are very low.
  • Options
    QuofanQuofan Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    I've never had a pay rise of more than a couple of per cent and my rise this year was just 0.75%. Next year's will probably be around the same. I've also had my final salary pension decimated so retirement won't be as comfortable as I once thought.
    I really don't understand how MPs can justify that amount of rise. Where do they get these figures from - do they pluck a number out of the air or pull it out of a hat?
    I also think in these times of austerity, where we are all supposed to be tightening our belts, that its completely insensitive.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Awww. I hope the 11% applies to their expenses too. I'd hate their duck ponds or moats to freeze over because of the increased energy bills. Poor things.

Unscrupulous thieves.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I suppose with all the money they're "saving" due to the war on the vulnerable, it's got to go somewhere - why not in their pockets?
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sounds bad at first but they are also losing a number of benefits in particular their pension is being downgraded to the 'industry average' and they will have to pay more into it.

So try not fall into the OP's trap of just reacting to the headline ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    It sounds bad at first but they are also losing a number of benefits in particular their pension is being downgraded to the 'industry average' and they will have to pay more into it.

As are everyone in the industry. Minus the 11% rise of course.
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

it is when the rest of us have to tighten our belts for the mess the mp's make.
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thought we are 'all in this together' mr ca-moron ...

this is disgraceful. they cant afford a payrise for the nurses yet can find money for this... its obscene...
  • Options
    Forum Member

you can`t see it but my eyes are rolling.

everyone`s facing cuts everywhere as well as NOT having more than ten percent added to their already very large income, it`s nothing short of obscene.

edit: and it appears that the perks cut amount to £250 per annum, per mp.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24613217
    In its latest report, it proposed MPs should get a £7,000 pay rise. But it said they should no longer be able to claim for:

A £15 evening meal when Parliament sits after 1930
    Hospitality tea and biscuits
    Hotels before 0100
    Taxis home before 2300
    Contents insurance for a second home
    Installing a TV in a second home
  • Options
    The_MothThe_Moth Posts: 7,751
    Forum Member
    Does anyone understand why the 1% cap does not apply to MPs?
  • Options
    Phil OwensPhil Owens Posts: 6,989
    Forum Member
    The_Moth wrote: »
    Does anyone understand why the 1% cap does not apply to MPs?

Because it's them and us...>:(
  • Options
    RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    MP's do not deserve a pay rise.

in it together
  • Options
    ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member

Sensible post.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As are everyone in the industry. Minus the 11% rise of course.
    Yes but remuneration is relative so it's reducing the gain of the pay rise. Hard to say by how much but pensions are expensive things to build up so long term it could be quite a reduction. I would take a pay cut over a pension cut any day.

Anyway as I've maintained before - if you want the best MPs you have to pay a decent wage. Only a fool would do a difficult job with huge responsibilities attached to it for a poor wage - do we really want a bunch of fools in Parliament? Or maybe that's the problem with what we do get. All the really bright leaders have been lured off to the private sector to earn six figure salaries. We've been left with the pillocks who will try and run an entire country for £74k.

I mean let's put that into perspective. Until recently I was earning just over £60k programming computers. Of course I didn't get anything in the way of perks nor a golden parachute at the end but still. If a computer programmer is paid £60k how come an MP is only paid £74k? I'm not that good a programmer :)
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quofan wrote: »
    Where do they get these figures from - do they pluck a number out of the air or pull it out of a hat?

It's to compensate for the fact that they have to pay for their own tea and biscuits now
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They only earn 75k?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    my son in law has to pay the mod something £50 a year tea and toast allowance, in all his years he`s been in service he and his colleagues are yet to have the tea and toast.

meant to quote platelet.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    artnada wrote: »

That has to be the most laughable thing that Cameron has said. We're all in this together and yet the MPs might be getting about £7,000 added on to what they make in a year. As for the last bit of your post, most definitely.

Edit: I meant the underlined bit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Phil OwensPhil Owens Posts: 6,989
    Forum Member

But they still get paid way too much...