Exeter Fm & Palm Fm Whats Going On ??

Comments

• Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    FM_Bandit wrote: »
    Why shouldn't they? If I left my position at my company, I would expect to inform all of the people that I regularly deal with of my departure and who will be acting as my replacement. It's common decency and good manners. If they want to build up a loyal local following, they ought to be treating their listenership with a bit of respect and not assume that they're all braying morons who won't care or even recognise one presenter's voice from another.

There could be a host of reasons. The presenter might be joining a rival station - hardly the kind of thing you'd want to publicise. The reasons for said presenter's departure might be contractually confidential. They may be leaving for reasons that they personally don't want publicising.

I'm just saying to call the move "stalinist" sounds a little OTT. Almost as if someone wants to smear rumours that may have no foundation...
  • Cola DrinkerCola Drinker Posts: 278
    Forum Member
    DoctorDave wrote: »
    In a bit of air brushing worthy of attention by Stalinist media apparachiks I notice that the all mention and pictures of the previous mid-morning/midday presenter on the station has been removed from the Exeter FM website, which also fails to mention anything about who's filling the slot at the moment, or whether there is going to be a permanent replacement.
    Networking from Plymouth?
  • DoctorDaveDoctorDave Posts: 752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm just saying to call the move "stalinist" sounds a little OTT. Almost as if someone wants to smear rumours that may have no foundation...

Sorry- perhaps I should have explained that in order to gain credibility and show his closeness to Lenin, Stalin ,once he came to power had many images manipulated - which was no easy thing to do in the 1930' and in particular there's a photo of Lenin, Trotsky and Lenin in the same shot where after manipulation Trotsky was removed.
    In this case there's no new picture on the home page, but the presenter in question has been removed from the same shot which originally contained him in the middle. Much easier to do nowadays.
    A post which has little to do with the original point, for which I'm sorry!
    Forum Member
    But is it part of some nasty conspiracy? I think we should be told.
  • graemehardmangraemehardman Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    On the Exeter FM website, it now says that Graham Russell will be doing daytime. He also said on his show on Palm last night that it will only be 7-10pm instead of 11pm.

Even so, 10am to 10pm is a long working day!

He also said that there are also going to be changes to the line up on Palm to be announced next week.
    Forum Member
    Well that sounds like a bit of networking then doesn't it? Mystery over. Perhaps.
    Forum Member
    Well that sounds like a bit of networking then doesn't it? Mystery over. Perhaps.
    Network mid-mornings with what would be just Plymouth or all 3 share drivetime or a new 10-1 show?
    Forum Member
    I'd say it would make sense for all three to share an off peak (10-1 daytime) show. Breakfast and drive should - in my opinion- be kept local. But it wouldn't surprise me if the owners also opt for a bare minimum of local output, and co-locate the stations.

And at the moment overnights on Exeter and Palm are automated AFAIK. What would be the real harm in putting the same automated show on all three with local ads and jingles?
    Forum Member
    I'd say it would make sense for all three to share an off peak (10-1 daytime) show. Breakfast and drive should - in my opinion- be kept local. But it wouldn't surprise me if the owners also opt for a bare minimum of local output, and co-locate the stations.
    I agree what your saying would make sense.

We know Plymouth's new mid-morning show is a different guy though and I don't think they'd put the same bloke on an VT evening show who does the morning show on the same station.
  • chrismjcchrismjc Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    I'd be surprised if they were about to introduce networking; it would represent a marked shift in approach to running their stations.

None of LMC/Sunrise's existing operations employ networking of any kind, which I suspect is due to the apparent unwillingness to 'speculate to accumulate' on purchasing suitable technology to facilitate the programme sharing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    I don't think they'd put the same bloke on an VT evening show who does the morning show on the same station.

It's not out of the question - it was done at Time.
    chrismjc wrote: »
    None of LMC/Sunrise's existing operations employ networking of any kind, which I suspect is due to the apparent unwillingness to 'speculate to accumulate' on purchasing suitable technology to facilitate the programme sharing.

Precisely!
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LMC did introduce networking after buying the Time stations in London, initially it was only one show with Sarah Kerr from Basildon Road on the two South London stations, then John Leech's soul show and Neil Andrews Solid Gold Sunday were networked on Time 106.8 and Time 107.3, however when it first started, the networking from Romford sounded like it was down an ISDN line on the Lewisham station at least.

Networking I believe was dropped after Mark Reason (now at Star Radio NE) left the group and local programming was introduced on 106.8 and automation on 107.3.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    Martin Phillip
    Networking I believe was dropped after Mark Reason (now at Star Radio NE) left the group and local programming was introduced on 106.8 and automation on 107.3.

I understand the real reason Networking was dropped was cost!

Apparently LMC (or whatever they were called that month!) wouldn't pay to lease a dedicated line between Romford & Basildon Road. This meant that the charges for the ISDN link were per minute and the Studios often forgot to disconnect the ISDN, which resulted in some hefty Bills!!!!:mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never knew there were so many people from Exeter (or around) on here :O

I don't listen to ExeterFM, nor Gemini (Heart)... too commercial for my liking :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    red877 wrote: »
    Martin Phillip

I understand the real reason Networking was dropped was cost!

Apparently LMC (or whatever they were called that month!) wouldn't pay to lease a dedicated line between Romford & Basildon Road. This meant that the charges for the ISDN link were per minute and the Studios often forgot to disconnect the ISDN, which resulted in some hefty Bills!!!!:mad:

The funny thing is the feed on 106.8 initially sounded like a straight from a FM tuner feed (as Time 107.5 can be received on FM at Basildon Road) while 107.3 had the ISDN quality despite coming from the same building.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    I would be suprised if they used an FM feed as it would have been very difficult to schedule station Idents, Ads etc.

But I digress, - I suspect that the wallet at Sunrise House is still as firmly shut as it vwas back then!, So, even if it makes complete sense to network - as it certainly did at the Time stations, I very much doubt if the funds will be made available:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I recall, the three SW stations have financial backing from Litt Corp, but are locally operated by another organisation in the same way ARI run Absolute Radio on behalf of TIML Radio?
  • chrismjcchrismjc Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    red877 wrote: »
    I would be suprised if they used an FM feed as it would have been very difficult to schedule station Idents, Ads etc.

Try telling that to the Spectrum FM network in Spain who send in-band DTMF to fire their ad breaks at the local sites ;)
  • DoctorDaveDoctorDave Posts: 752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No it doesn't, as I am reliably informed that no facilities exists to make it possible between the three studios, and that at the moment there are no plans to change this.
    Graham Russell is being employed at Exeter FM on a freelance basis- thus freeing up some of the wages/salary that were being paid to the previous incumbent of the slot who was also nominally the Head of Programming.
    On the other hand they are now presumably having to pay someone to do the Sunday Night Rock Show....or perhaps not....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    Graham Russell is being employed at Exeter FM on a freelance basis- thus freeing up some of the wages/salary that were being paid to the previous incumbent of the slot who was also nominally the Head of Programming.

Who has left / been kicked out of Exeter FM?
    Forum Member
    No it doesn't, as I am reliably informed that no facilities exists to make it possible between the three studios, and that at the moment there are no plans to change this.
    On the other hand they are now presumably having to pay someone to do the Sunday Night Rock Show....or perhaps not....

Well it sounds like you are so well informed, there would hardly be a need to raise the "mystery" of who's doing what in a forum.
  • starlingdarlingstarlingdarling Posts: 658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nthorn wrote: »
    I never knew there were so many people from Exeter (or around) on here :O

I don't listen to ExeterFM, nor Gemini (Heart)... too commercial for my liking :)

And ex presenters...hahaha... best place to keep up with the gossip
  • pub 1pub 1 Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    I wonder if midwest/exeter/palm will end up -totalstar 2 eventually?!:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    pub 1 wrote: »
    I wonder if midwest/exeter/palm will end up -totalstar 2 eventually?!:D

Doubt it, they can't even get the stations they currently own on air!
  • Paulrobbo_kPaulrobbo_k Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    Jack is in the air... ;)