Options

Smoking / e-cigs

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EvieJ wrote: »
    Thanks, it can't of been was going cold turkey, hopefully babies will happen soon :)

Just out of interest will you continue to vape or are you hoping to stop?
    No, unless some factual evidence is presented about any dangers, I'll continue. I enjoy it. Life is too short for what ifs. I live in Saudi Arabia. I'll take all the small joys that I can!
  • Options
    EvieJEvieJ Posts: 6,054
    Forum Member
    How do non smokers / non vapers feel about vaping around you or your family, in your home or workplace.

If you're in a non vaping environment how do you feel about your colleagues smoke / vape breaks?
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    How do non smokers / non vapers feel about vaping around you or your family, in your home or workplace.

If you're in a non vaping environment how do you feel about your colleagues smoke / vape breaks?

i`m an ex smoking non vaper, i don`t have a problem with other people doing either as long as it`s not around kids, if a smoking friend comes round i have no problem with them smoking in my place.

i`m not keen on some vaping indoors in public, some look and smell like they are set too high and are burning.
  • Options
    bozzimacoobozzimacoo Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many people have now switched from ciggies to e-cigs, its a more socially acceptable and safer way to satisfy the nicotine addiction (atm)

Those who have, what would you now classify yourself as, a smoker or non smoker?? And to those who don't have that need to feed, how do you see the habit and its partakers.

Blow me down, just thinking "haven't seen a e-cig thread".

It's called Vaping! :cool:
    From the minute I started (Feb2013), I jacked in the baccy. It has taken quite a few attempts at batteries, the right tanks and liquids, but I am now where I want to be with it. I spend appox £10 - 15 per month on liquids, can expand my lungs and taste my food, don't smell of tobacco and don't need an extra stong mint in me gob.

However, most places class it as smoking, so you would still have to go outside. But I have gone to the loos, had a couple of vapes, steam dissappears in seconds and felt l have had a ciggie.

Would I start smoking if they weren't around? probably
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    Yeah, I would too... but given the ridiculous number of times insurance companies have managed to avoid forking out on a claim using every legal loop hole available it wouldn't surprise me if they stuck in their heels and refused... They'll probably add e-cigarette vapping on insurance policy forms anyway, just to avoid the hassle... and increase the premiums of those who check the box

I would and have ticked 'smoker' box.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bozzimacoo wrote: »

So you're not completely in denial then.
    I know people who now vape more regularly than they smoked, because it doesn't smell they don't have to go outside but consider they have kicked the habit.:confused:
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They used to think smoking was safe, and in fact a healthy thing to do. :o I would not be surprised if people were dying in another 20 odd years.
    There are no recorded deaths from people attending concerts and inhaling the smoke many bands create using PG, which is what many vapers (but not all) use. Many use Vegetable Glycol, a plant product - which can also be found in a lot of make-up, ear/eye drops, toothpaste, many of the products we use in our daily lives - including pet food. People may not be taking it directly into their lungs, but they are taking it into the bodies and blood streams.

As for Propylene Glycol, that's used - as already mentioned - to make steam at concerts, it is also used in many pharmaceuticals which are taken orally or injected, also inhaled - and is used in asthma inhalers (therefore taken into the lungs). It is also to be found in frozen foods such as ice-cream and frozen yoghurts.

People have been using/consuming these products for a very long time, as yet there are no recorded deaths by PG or VG.
    it`s not at all uncommon for people to get fixated on the needle without the drug, it`s all part of the ritual and routine and the same as with any addiction, it isn`t just the substance you are abandoning.
    It's true that lots of vapers are replacing one addiction with another, although many more are turning to e-cigs, reducing their intake of nicotine over time and then quitting. It's what doctors prescribe (and how pharmacies sell) nicotine replacement treatments (such as patches, inhalers, e-cigs ;)) for, to wean people off smoking.

Many other people try and quit smoking and fail, many replace the addiction with eating and gain a very unhealthy amount of weight (it's the hand-to-mouth experience), vaping can be successful in avoiding that. I've lost 2 stone since I stopped smoking in May, although a diabetes diagnosis spurred that on too!
    Interesting that Ash are proposing 18. What is the legal age for cigarettes?
    It's 18 to purchase tobacco products in the UK, 16 to smoke in public - I know, stupid right :D
    I talked to my doctor about this, they have put me down as an ex-smoker on my medical records.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know people who now vape more regularly than they smoked, because it doesn't smell they don't have to go outside but consider they have kicked the habit.:confused:

What?

You have me mixed up with some of your friends. I haven't denied anything. After forty years smoking and enjoying it, I thought for health reasons I should be looking at alternatives. I have already stated that I would be smoking still if there were no e-cigs. I have also claimed on an insurance form I smoke!

You ask for all opinions using a neutral stance, but your posts are biased, so what is it you want to achieve?

Vapers are just that, smokers of varying degrees of nicotine, but when you are down to zero nicotine, are just enjoying the experience. I am at 1.8 after starting at 2.4.

We all have our little pleasures in life and I hardly drink, eat healthly and use my bike to get around as much as possible, so for an 'old bird' my main criteria is to enjoy my days and look as good for as long as possible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

what is there to deny? Either you smoke or you don't. Vaping is NOT smoking. How hard is that to understand? I haven't smoked for over two years so why would I tick the 'smoker' box?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh yes, one other thing - I know there is a growing group of people who choose vaping as a dieting aid.

There are many, MANY, flavours of e-juice out there (custard & cream, cheesecake, BlackJack sweets, to name but a few), all of which can be bought at 0% nicotine, that some people enjoy to get a sweet fix without taking in any calories.. .as well as getting the much-craved hand-to-mouth experience.

Food is one of (if not THE) the biggest addictions around, if this works for them, good on them :D
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    orangebird wrote: »
    what is there to deny? Either you smoke or you don't. Vaping is NOT smoking. How hard is that to understand? I haven't smoked for over two years so why would I tick the 'smoker' box?

As someone else said. You might not think you smoke but a insurance company might say you do.

I think its shaky ground and if I vaped I would talk to my insurance and fine out where they stand on this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »
    Oh yes, one other thing - I know there is a growing group of people who choose vaping as a dieting aid.

There are many, MANY, flavours of e-juice out there (custard & cream, cheesecake, BlackJack sweets, to name but a few), all of which can be bought at 0% nicotine, that some people enjoy to get a sweet fix without taking in any calories.. .as well as getting the much-craved hand-to-mouth experience.

Food is one of (if not THE) the biggest addictions around, if this works for them, good on them :D

hahaha So glad I dont do it, I would be trying them all :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There are no recorded deaths from people attending concerts and inhaling the smoke many bands create using PG, which is what many vapers (but not all) use. Many use Vegetable Glycol, a plant product - which can also be found in a lot of make-up, ear/eye drops, toothpaste, many of the products we use in our daily lives - including pet food. People may not be taking it directly into their lungs, but they are taking it into the bodies and blood streams.

As for Propylene Glycol, that's used - as already mentioned - to make steam at concerts, it is also used in many pharmaceuticals which are taken orally or injected, also inhaled - and is used in asthma inhalers (therefore taken into the lungs). It is also to be found in frozen foods such as ice-cream and frozen yoghurts.

People have been using/consuming these products for a very long time, as yet there are no recorded deaths by PG or VG.

It's true that lots of vapers are replacing one addiction with another, although many more are turning to e-cigs, reducing their intake of nicotine over time and then quitting. It's what doctors prescribe (and how pharmacies sell) nicotine replacement treatments (such as patches, inhalers, e-cigs ;)) for, to wean people off smoking.

Many other people try and quit smoking and fail, many replace the addiction with eating and gain a very unhealthy amount of weight (it's the hand-to-mouth experience), vaping can be successful in avoiding that. I've lost 2 stone since I stopped smoking in May, although a diabetes diagnosis spurred that on too!

It's 18 to purchase tobacco products in the UK, 16 to smoke in public - I know, stupid right :D

I talked to my doctor about this, they have put me down as an ex-smoker on my medical records.

Vaping must be a much more a frequent intake directly into the throat and lungs though. Without a doubt the lack of tar makes it a healthier option but can we really assume its not unhealthy? And while there is still an addiction what is the likely hood of a vaper returning to tobacco than someone without that addiction taking up smoking.

Very interesting about your gp comment, did they advise weaning off ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hahaha So glad I dont do it, I would be trying them all :D
    To be honest, I know most vapers vape many different flavours from many different tanks, but I vape one flavour and one flavour only ... Aniseed :D I LOVE IT :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As someone else said. You might not think you smoke but a insurance company might say you do.

I think its shaky ground and if I vaped I would talk to my insurance and fine out where they stand on this.

but I DON'T smoke, and under law, vaping is NOT smoking, so I'm not sure why anybody thinks an insurance company can interpret these two different actions as the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vaping must be a much more a frequent intake directly into the throat and lungs though. Without a doubt the lack of tar makes it a healthier option but can we really assume its not unhealthy? And while there is still an addiction what is the likely hood of a vaper returning to tobacco than someone without that addiction taking up smoking.

Very interesting about your gp comment, did they advise weaning off ?
    I am weaning off :D I vaped 1.8% nicotine until 3 weeks ago, I now vape 12%. After Xmas I shall go down again.

Sure, vapers vape more than people use their asthma inhalers/eat ice-cream (unless you are me pre-diet :D), etc. but then the proportions are a lot less, there's water mixed in. There are also many vapers who don't inhale, just get the flavour in the mouth and exhale :D Mind you, you used to get smokers who weren't really inhaling too, just trying to look 'cool' (in their eyes), which is how many kids start smoking of course!

Nothing is proven about anything as yet this is true, people use sweetener every day and yet it's proven to have it's own set of problems.

Each person is individual and weighs up the pro's and con's of anything they do, or they don't and just do it anyway (most of us :D). People know that regular bad eating habits can lead to all sorts of health issues, and yet they continue to do it .. in full knowledge of the damage it can do.

I find it ironic that I gave up smoking/took up vaping in May, and was diagnosed with diabetes in July just after I'd decided to take some control over the whole thing :D I do believe, though, that the vaping has helped me take control of my food intake better .. .had I quit smoking and then got the diabetes diagnosis, I undoubtedly would have taken up smoking again. It was the same with my daughter, I started smoking again when she was diagnosed with CP. It's a crutch, we are human and weak (most of us) :D
  • Options
    Forum Member

It's true that lots of vapers are replacing one addiction with another

no, they`re addicted to the same substance, it`s just the method of delivery that`s different, hence my comparison to heroin and toots and pins.

/pedant.

my closest friend stops banging up and returns to smoking smack every now and then, she thinks it makes her less of an addict if she`s not using needles, but really it`s just denial, like an alcoholic saying they`re drinking only beer instead of spirits, etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no, they`re addicted to the same substance, it`s just the method of delivery that`s different, hence my comparison to heroin and toots and pins.

/pedant.

not if they're vaping 0%....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but I DON'T smoke, and under law, vaping is NOT smoking, so I'm not sure why anybody thinks an insurance company can interpret these two different actions as the same.

What is the law then? Why are you not allowed to vape were you like in the UK?

Insurance companies are a law unto themselfs and if they can wiggle out they will.
  • Options
    Forum Member

no, then they`re fixated on the method, as i explained before when you rid yourself of an addiction you are not just giving up the actual drug [or whatever] you are also giving up everything else that goes with it and that`s too difficult for some people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What?

You have me mixed up with some of your friends. I haven't denied anything. After forty years smoking and enjoying it, I thought for health reasons I should be looking at alternatives. I have already stated that I would be smoking still if there were no e-cigs. I have also claimed on an insurance form I smoke!

You ask for all opinions using a neutral stance, but your posts are biased, so what is it you want to achieve?

Vapers are just that, smokers of varying degrees of nicotine, but when you are down to zero nicotine, are just enjoying the experience. I am at 1.8 after starting at 2.4.

We all have our little pleasures in life and I hardly drink, eat healthly and use my bike to get around as much as possible, so for an 'old bird' my main criteria is to enjoy my days and look as good for as long as possible.

This was the point I was trying to make, that you're not in denial :) well done on the weaning :)

You vape but not nicotine so you're not a nicotine addict.

/pedant.

Perhaps we (society) should now be thinking in terms of addict / non addict rather than smoker / non smoker. Though some methods of intake carry risks others don't. Does anyone know what the approach to snuff taking was when it was popular.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree with the zero, I hated it, I did try it with a crappy cartomiser though. Since settling on iclear30's with a dual coil, I might give it another go. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I find it ironic that I gave up smoking/took up vaping in May, and was diagnosed with diabetes in July just after I'd decided to take some control over the whole thing :D I do believe, though, that the vaping has helped me take control of my food intake better .. .had I quit smoking and then got the diabetes diagnosis, I undoubtedly would have taken up smoking again. It was the same with my daughter, I started smoking again when she was diagnosed with CP. It's a crutch, we are human and weak (most of us) :D[/QUOTE]

I've heard this lots of times, makes you wonder doesn't it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

/pedant.

my closest friend stops banging up and returns to smoking smack every now and then, she thinks it makes her less of an addict if she`s not using needles, but really it`s just denial, like an alcoholic saying they`re drinking only beer instead of spirits, etc.
    bib - no, they are addiccted to ONE of the same substances, considering there are many additional addictive substances in cigarettes (formaldehyde for example), and of course still addicted to the experience, yes.

Some who vape are very concerned about the amount of smoke production they get, vape 0% nicotine, are what they call cloud-chasers, addicted to the massive amount of smoke they can create, that I find extremely odd :D

I do think the comparison to drug addicts (the kind you mention as opposed to smokers) is somewhat unfair, I haven't yet heard of a smoker (or a vaper) who would break into peoples' homes to steal to pay for their habit, who would hurt people to steal to pay for their habit, who would give up their jobs/lives/friends/homes to feed their habit. I may be wrong, but I personally have never heard of a smoker/vaper going that far (well perhaps a few people have stolen money to buy ****, but then some steal money to buy food, pay rent... some just steal!)

Yes, it's an addiction, many people have those (chocaholics, gambling addicts, internet addicts, sex addicts :o:p).

I don't think comparing is a fair way of criticising, it's surely more logical to criticise it for itself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with the zero, I hated it, I did try it with a crappy cartomiser though. Since settling on iclear30's with a dual coil, I might give it another go. :)
    I don't like dual coil, prefer Protank 2 with bottom coils :) ... use it with an iTaste MVP - which is Variable Voltage and Variable Wattage, but I only use the Wattage as you don't have to keep changing it and fiddling with it, but some people love that aspect of it :D