Options

New PVRs at Argos

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
Forum Member
A number of new Freeview PVRs are listed in the Argos catalogue. Some of them (e.g. the two new Hitachi models) are even listed as in-stock in my local Argos. So it's not just a pre-announcement of models that will appear later.

Seems likely (from the photos) that the Bush and Hitachi PVRs are made by Vestel. In the case of one of the Bush models the photo certainly indicates that it is a Vestel (since it has prominent "VESTEL" branding).

Looking forward to seeing some user reviews of these new models.

Pete

Comments

• Options
    futaurafutaura Posts: 2,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, the new Hitachi and Bush models are Vestel T835 (or should that be TV835???) based - this is the model I have been testing over the past few months. Mine looks just like the photo of the Bush but has Logik branding, suggesting Currys may have a version of this on sale soon too.

A quick summary is that the box is much smaller than previous models, thanks to an external PSU and slim SATA drive. Remote is the same, AFAIK. Connectivity is much reduced - all you'll find on the back of the unit is the power, one SCART, optical audio out, RF in and RF out sockets. So, no secondary SCART socket, no RS232 and no need for RF loopthroughs between the tuners. Software updates can be performed via the SCART socket, by the way :). AFAIK, the Hitachi and Bush models have low power mode as standard.

Software wise, it's the familiar Vestel software, probably in much the same state as the T845R v0.5 software, and v12.x T825 software. I hope people find it more stable and faster, but unfortunately I have my reservations - I'm still not perfectly happy with it from a speed/stability point of view, although I'm not sure which software version for boxes shipped with (v1.6 at a guess). For those interested, I've now made the T835 section public on http://pvrbugs.futaura.co.uk/ which lists some of the issues that I'm still "moaning" about :D.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was guessing that, with the exception of the new Goodmans PVR (which looks similar to a Freesat box in the photo) the new Bush and Hitachi models were the T835. Good to see that confirmed.

External PSU a definite negative IMO. Loss of second SCART probably no big deal for most people.

How exactly does the software update over the SCART work?

Most worrying is that the firmware sounds as if it has many of the same bugs and issues as the bug-ridden T825.

Pete
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given the failures of the PSU boards in older models, I see the external PSU as a positive. It's one of the those black plugin types, but is relatively small. If the PSU goes, it should be easy to replace compared to previous models. External PSU also means less heat build up in the PVR itself, although I guess the much smaller case (less air flow) negates that a little.

Basically, the 3 pins used on the RS232 socket in updates previous are mapped to 2 normally unused pins + ground on the SCART, so involves making a special adaptor which is easy enough with a soldering iron and a couple of parts from Maplin :).

Vestel are probably sick of me going on about the slowness of the EPG, which is fast initially but gradually gets slower and slower, and eventually after a few days of uninterrupted uptime the box then starts misbehaving. I've never owned a T825, but this probably sounds familar to those that do. I think speed has been improved a little, but it still gets slower and slower. Vestel's logic being that these boxes have LP mode and also a new "Auto power down" option (not sure if this in the shipped version) which automatically puts the box into standby if the remote has not been touched for 3 hours. So, with default settings, the box is unlikely to have an uptime greater than 12-24 hours in normal circumstances. My personal hunch is that Cabot are responsible for this problem - it is probably no coincidence that this problem started when Freeview Playback Group 2 support was added to the software (back when the T816 was the current model). I've convinced myself it is something to do with EPG search routines - performing manual EPG searches accelerates the symptoms, and can still produce the freezing live tv bug (goes back to the T816). Therefore if the software is now continually searching the EPG in the background (in order to update timers, series link, etc) then it would make sense that is sharing routines with the manual EPG search.
  • Options
    AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all the info.

So there is no phono audio output, that's a slight negative for me, because I'm in the habit of listening to the radio without having to have the TV on. A freeview box with a pair of Logitech speakers is all I need, optical audio output and whatever you need to get sound out of that, is just to complicated, and why fiddle about with a DAB radio when all the stations I need can be accessed with one remote control?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I neglected to describe the front panel display... Unlike previous models, mine T835 box has a basic large 4 character "8888"-style red LED display. Reminds me of my old Sagem 6240T :). This is a downside in a way because obviously there is less room for information to be shown, but it is easier to see day or night. There is also a red/green LED to the left of it indicating power/standby status, which also flashes each time you press the remote.

I imagine the Bush features the exact same display considering the box itself is pretty much identical to mine, but the Hitachi is a little harder to judge. All I can say is that the LED display is fixed directly to the main PCB, unlike previous models which were connected via cables and therefore detachable/swappable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AngusMast wrote: »
    So there is no phono audio output, that's a slight negative for me, because I'm in the habit of listening to the radio without having to have the TV on. A freeview box with a pair of Logitech speakers is all I need, optical audio output and whatever you need to get sound out of that, is just to complicated, and why fiddle about with a DAB radio when all the stations I need can be accessed with one remote control?
    Correct. No phono audio output on the T835. However, this needn't be a problem - you can use something like this which you could plug into the back of the PVR or TV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    From the photo and as you describe it, the LED display would appear similar to that used in those Vestel Freeview non-PVR boxes that had front panel displays.

It looks like they have taken quite a lot of cost (both component and, by making it simpler, assembly/test labour) out of the product. Since it is smaller, shipping costs should be reduced too. That should provide some scope for prices to fall at some point in the future. Being simpler also ought to make the hardware more reliable. If only Cabot could sort out the software...

Pete
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The replacement of the complicated display with a 4 digit LED is reasonable.

I'll probably get this one anyway, because I've lived with the foibles of my now deceased Digihome PVR80 for a few years, and I have always found it easy to use :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    futaura wrote: »
    Correct. No phono audio output on the T835. However, this needn't be a problem - you can use something like this which you could plug into the back of the PVR or TV.

Thanks. That's just what I was going to ask about :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pclare wrote: »
    From the photo and as you describe it, the LED display would appear similar to that used in those Vestel Freeview non-PVR boxes that had front panel displays.

It looks like they have taken quite a lot of cost (both component and, by making it simpler, assembly/test labour) out of the product. Since it is smaller, shipping costs should be reduced too. That should provide some scope for prices to fall at some point in the future. Being simpler also ought to make the hardware more reliable. If only Cabot could sort out the software...

Yes - to be honest, I'm a little surprised at the price points. I thought they'd be a little lower, but as you say there's time for that.

Should be more reliable as you say. I was surprised when I opened it up when I couldn't see any "traditional" tuners - i.e. no seperate silver boxes. Tuner performance seems improved to me, but then I never really had any major problems with the old models. Here I noticed that the signal strength tends to flucuate more, and usually the meter is much higher (95%+) than on my T816. Also, the main STB-on-a-chip, um, chip has a heatsink on it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so the alba pvr that argos sold is no longer forsale at argos , where to find it now (T845R) ?
  • Options
    parthenaparthena Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I notice that the lower-priced models are specified as having only one SCART socket - I can't believe that :confused:

parthena
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    chaotic_uk wrote: »
    so the alba pvr that argos sold is no longer forsale at argos , where to find it now (T845R) ?

Think you find that the T845R was a stop gap model that won't be produced anymore. I got one last week but it was difficult to find - Argos were obviously running stocks down.

I guess Vestel need a model to fill the gap whilst they finished of the T835. They already had the T845 platfom and probably wanted to retire the T825 hardware. The SATA drive issue has already been mentioned as a possible reason.

Ian
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    Vestel are probably sick of me going on about the slowness of the EPG, which is fast initially but gradually gets slower and slower, and eventually after a few days of uninterrupted uptime the box then starts misbehaving. I've never owned a T825, but this probably sounds familar to those that do. I think speed has been improved a little, but it still gets slower and slower. Vestel's logic being that these boxes have LP mode and also a new "Auto power down" option (not sure if this in the shipped version) which automatically puts the box into standby if the remote has not been touched for 3 hours. So, with default settings, the box is unlikely to have an uptime greater than 12-24 hours in normal circumstances. My personal hunch is that Cabot are responsible for this problem - it is probably no coincidence that this problem started when Freeview Playback Group 2 support was added to the software (back when the T816 was the current model). I've convinced myself it is something to do with EPG search routines - performing manual EPG searches accelerates the symptoms, and can still produce the freezing live tv bug (goes back to the T816). Therefore if the software is now continually searching the EPG in the background (in order to update timers, series link, etc) then it would make sense that is sharing routines with the manual EPG search.

I'd guess that the slow down is probably caused by memory fragmentation.

From power on memory is allocated in nice contiguous blocks that are quick to access. As memory fills and old block are freed it becomes more difficult to allocate contiguous block of the required size - memory becomes fragmented and slower to access.

This is an operating system issue. I don't know if Cabot created their own OS or used a propriety one. In this second case it could be difficult to get a fix.

I guess that for any unit without a LP standby mode (T825 / T845R) a power cycle would be required to relieve the issue.

Ian
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eeeps wrote: »
    I'd guess that the slow down is probably caused by memory fragmentation.

From power on memory is allocated in nice contiguous blocks that are quick to access. As memory fills and old block are freed it becomes more difficult to allocate contiguous block of the required size - memory becomes fragmented and slower to access.

This is an operating system issue. I don't know if Cabot created their own OS or used a propriety one. In this second case it could be difficult to get a fix.

I guess that for any unit without a LP standby mode (T825 / T845R) a power cycle would be required to relieve the issue.
    You're right, it could be memory fragmentation, but I'm not so keen to blame the OS - I'm sure the application code code be optimised to avoid it. It may also be the case that the application code is gradually leaking memory and not freeing it when it should, so eventually it runs out of memory and crashes.

It's just that there was never any problem like this with slowdown on the T810 software, or the T816 FP Group 1 software. It first reared its head in the T816 FP Group 2 software. The slowdown causes stuttering in live tv audio when the EPG is open and it concerns me that Vestel felt it necessary to mute the audio when the EPG is open to hide this issue (navigating the EPG while it is slow can also cause jumping/stuttering in any recordings that take place). During testing I managed to establish that the slowdown is directly linked to the number of channels in the channel list (I never saw any slowdown when I had only 6 channels, for example - one from each mux). Part of the problem is that this issue wasn't raised properly earlier, like 2+ years ago. I suppose in that sense it is reasonable for Vestel to think there isn't a real problem.

LP mode has its drawbacks too. It's a pain having to wait a minute or so for the box to switch on, and also the RF out is switched off in LP mode. So, if for example, you mainly watch live tv using the TV's tuner, and your TV is connected to the RF out of the PVR, when it enters LP mode you can't watch your TV either.
  • Options
    tintin Posts: 1,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aha! I think you may have just told us who makes the Ferguson F202050DTR - http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/593869/FERGUSON-F20250DTR
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tin wrote: »
    Aha! I think you may have just told us who makes the Ferguson F202050DTR - http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/593869/FERGUSON-F20250DTR
    Hmmm... I'm not sure that is a Vestel model. The air vent pattern is different to the usual T835 ones. Hard to say without seeing the rear of the unit. Although, if I guess from looking at the back of the sockets that you can see through the vent holes, it looks like the SCART socket is in a different position compared to the T835. Size-wise it is similar though. Depends how accurate the photo is, I guess.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm... I'm not sure that is a Vestel model. The air vent pattern is different to the usual T835 ones. Hard to say without seeing the rear of the unit. Although, if I guess from looking at the back of the sockets that you can see through the vent holes, it looks like the SCART socket is in a different position compared to the T835. Size-wise it is similar though. Depends how accurate the photo is, I guess.

While I'd agree with the reasons you're doubting it, in the below thread a user bought one and gave me all the clues I need: single SCART, vestel looking UI, external PSU.

I'm also convinced by the three buttons with the same function in the same place - which has always been a telling feature of the older vestels. Futhermore Ferguson is now a brand that Comet have to slap on 3rd party boxes - in freeview land these are almost always vestel.

The photo on comet is clearly of an empty shell. Perhaps pre-production which would account for the vent differences? They have had it listed on their site since before november.

Maybe not, I'm quite happy to be proved wrong..

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1155122
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In another place, someone said that their Hitachi HDR253 had the black-band-at-the bottom-of-the-screen fault that the T810 has, but that issue was supposed to be have been resolved with the T816

Just wondering, is there an issue with the picture not filling the whole screen on the model you've been testing, futaura?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While I'd agree with the reasons you're doubting it, in the below thread a user bought one and gave me all the clues I need: single SCART, vestel looking UI, external PSU.

I'm also convinced by the three buttons with the same function in the same place - which has always been a telling feature of the older vestels. Futhermore Ferguson is now a brand that Comet have to slap on 3rd party boxes - in freeview land these are almost always vestel.

The photo on comet is clearly of an empty shell. Perhaps pre-production which would account for the vent differences? They have had it listed on their site since before november.

Maybe not, I'm quite happy to be proved wrong..
    No, I guess you're probably right, now I've read the other thread :). So, they were on sale in mid-November at least, which would tie in with Vestel asking me for urgent feedback towards the end of October (I have been testing a T835 since the beginning of September). That said, they still would have shipped with a relatively buggy and early software version, which probably explains why the v1.6 OAD which was broadcast repeatedly (last week being the most recent).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AngusMast wrote: »
    In another place, someone said that their Hitachi HDR253 had the black-band-at-the bottom-of-the-screen fault that the T810 has, but that issue was supposed to be have been resolved with the T816

Just wondering, is there an issue with the picture not filling the whole screen on the model you've been testing, futaura?
    Yeah, I know the thread you mean - I think the user blew the issue out of proportion. I've tried the T835 on one of the TVs that showed a black bar when using the T810, and there was no black bar visible with the T835 (same as with my T816). Whether there is a black bar still below the overscan (i.e. not visible) is impossible for me to check (I don't wish to go near the service menu on my new TV :)).
  • Options
    creddishcreddish Posts: 5,285
    Forum Member
    pclare wrote: »

Loss of second SCART probably no big deal for most people.

Pete
    Having only one SCART would rule them out for me as I want to daisy chain with other PVRs and a DVD Recorder. Even some basic STBs have two SCARTS.

I would also miss the Phono A/V as I use this to feed the o/p to the kitchen TV, particularly as the Vestels have never had RF Modulators.

Colin
  • Options
    parthenaparthena Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Have I got lost? I have Vestel T810, T816, and T825... and I've never seen a Vestel PVR with only one SCART socket :confused:

parthena
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    creddish wrote: »
    Having only one SCART would rule them out for me as I want to daisy chain with other PVRs and a DVD Recorder. Even some basic STBs have two SCARTS.

I would also miss the Phono A/V as I use this to feed the o/p to the kitchen TV, particularly as the Vestels have never had RF Modulators.
    Depends on how many of your other devices have two SCARTS, I guess - you could always make the T835 the last on the chain. It makes little sense to connect a DVD recorder to the second SCART socket on the T845R and before because there is no widescreen signalling on that socket. IIRC, there is a space on the main PCB where a second SCART can be connected - might make an interesting project for somebody ;). Not that the T835 is really that big a leap over the T825/T845R really - it is basically just a more compact version.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    parthena wrote: »
    Have I got lost? I have Vestel T810, T816, and T825... and I've never seen a Vestel PVR with only one SCART socket :confused:

parthena

nay but the new T835 (basically the subject of this thread) is single SCART :)