Options

Real life mysteries that have intrigued and baffled you

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just spend hours reading this thread, only on page 19. Gonna come back tomorrow and read it all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taman_Shud_Case

That case in particular i spent about an hour reading through. Just WOW. Unbelievable how its so random and every twist and turn is more complicated then any author could imagine, and its still unknown, but its a fact it happened which is unbelievable.

It's an amazing story, eh simmons? As I said above I find it fascinating and it gives me the absolute creeps somehow as well. :D

It's a sad story too - to think that no-one in the world missed this guy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This story is one that really baffles me and is so sad too :(
    http://http://www.beaumontchildren.com/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nanny Ogg wrote: »

Yes, that's a terrible story too, Nanny. :( Just awful.

Bizarrely, it happened fairly near to where the Taman Shud case happened (as above).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, that's a terrible story too, Nanny. :( Just awful.

Bizarrely, it happened fairly near to where the Taman Shud case happened (as above).

Yeah when I read the Taman Shu it made me remember that story :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's an amazing story, eh simmons? As I said above I find it fascinating and it gives me the absolute creeps somehow as well. :D

It's a sad story too - to think that no-one in the world missed this guy.

Yet every now and again, flowers or stones are laid by his grave. Unbelieveable. Its just more complicated then any fiction writer could have invented.
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nanny Ogg wrote: »

What a sad story:(
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    The Grinning Man- I'm sure I've mentioned him before on this thread but he really is vile!

Was spotted in farm land in the American Mid-West in the 60's. Last confirmed sighting was him standing over a girls bed grinning at her. Apparently he is terrifying.

I was home alone when I first read about the case and slept downstairs for the duration!
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/threecounties/hi/people_and_places/newsid_9162000/9162455.stm

I found this as part of my local BBC news website, it might be of interest to the other members who were discussing Peter Sutcliffe early on in the thread.

I was walking home alone in the dark just before Mo was attacked, back from the University campus too. It would have been the back end of Sept, 1980. I must have been lucky that night. I never knew there was another girl attacked in a similar place to the final victim?

Sutcliffe claimed that he thought the victim who died, after Mo's attack, I think it was, or around that month - was a prostitute. But that was 100% a STUDENT area of town and everybody knew it. I still wonder how he drove there, a man alone, at kerbcrawler speed, without attracting notice... He was definitely lying about thinking they were prostitutes. It was practically on the campus. I walked about there day and night and only saw students.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yet every now and again, flowers or stones are laid by his grave. Unbelieveable. Its just more complicated then any fiction writer could have invented.

That's true, simmons, I'd forgotten about that. That DOES make it even weirder.

I hate the thought that there are people out there who know the solutions to these mysteries but for whatever reason won't come forward.
  • Options
    slslsslsls Posts: 2,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think about Hillsborough a lot, don't think that counts as a mystery, but I wonder about the specific chain if events.

Deleted
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's true, simmons, I'd forgotten about that. That DOES make it even weirder.

I hate the thought that there are people out there who know the solutions to these mysteries but for whatever reason won't come forward.

I've just been and read up about that case as I've never heard of it before. Judging from what I've read it seems the nurse who was linked to him via Alfred Boxall and the book had the child of this dead man (which she passed off as her husband) as he shared two distinctive genetic traits with him, the chances of this being coincidence were around 1:200,000.

That does seem very odd, particularly as people investigating the case seem to have been very keen to protect her identity. Considering she may have had the answers to the case of a potential murder she certainly seems to have been treated with kid gloves. It makes you wonder if people involved knew something about this man which made them think he deserved to be dead and that she deserved to be protected from being linked with him...they certainly seem to have prioritised this woman over solving the murder.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slsls wrote: »
    I've just been and read up about that case as I've never heard of it before. Judging from what I've read it seems the nurse who was linked to him via Alfred Boxall and the book had the child of this dead man (which she passed off as her husband) as he shared two distinctive genetic traits with him, the chances of this being coincidence were around 1:200,000.

That does seem very odd, particularly as people investigating the case seem to have been very keen to protect her identity. Considering she may have had the answers to the case of a potential murder she certainly seems to have been treated with kid gloves. It makes you wonder if people involved knew something about this man which made them think he deserved to be dead and that she deserved to be protected from being linked with him...they certainly seem to have prioritised this woman over solving the murder.

But they never found the cause of death or anything like that. Also what freaked me out was the fact that people saw him move and saw his right arm stretch out and then in the morning it was bent again. Seems extraordinary, but its a fact, which makes it hard to get my head around.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Grinning Man- I'm sure I've mentioned him before on this thread but he really is vile!

Was spotted in farm land in the American Mid-West in the 60's. Last confirmed sighting was him standing over a girls bed grinning at her. Apparently he is terrifying.

I was home alone when I first read about the case and slept downstairs for the duration!

Never heard of this so just looked him up. I think he may be a variant of the older Spring Heeled Jack.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But they never found the cause of death or anything like that. Also what freaked me out was the fact that people saw him move and saw his right arm stretch out and then in the morning it was bent again. Seems extraordinary, but its a fact, which makes it hard to get my head around.

The place I read about it said that they were fairly certain that it was poisoning at the time but didn't know if it was self inflicted or inflicted by someone else. Apparently recent investigations have concluded it was pretty much certain he died from Digitalis poisoning.

Plus the arm movements - apparently one theory is this he was dying of poisoning when this happened and the movements were as the result of his final convulsions due to the poison.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

OMG, that's even creepier!

It's the secrecy surrounding it that is so odd..... especially if people were protected by the authorities.....why.....? That's what scares the cr*p out of me about this, along with my fears about Numbers Stations etc....the fact that 'the truth is NOT out there' and that we are being lied to by MI5, the FBI etc......What's going on.......?:D:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The place I read about it said that they were fairly certain that it was poisoning at the time but didn't know if it was self inflicted or inflicted by someone else. Apparently recent investigations have concluded it was pretty much certain he died from Digitalis poisoning.

Plus the arm movements - apparently one theory is this he was dying of poisoning when this happened and the movements were as the result of his final convulsions due to the poison.

But they found no poison in the pasty he ate 4 hours earlier? Which means it could only have been the cigarette he was smoking, which were different to the brand found in the packet in his pocket.

There was no signs of a struggle or vomitting, which makes it unlikely he was poisoned (it said on wiki where i read it). Also the labels were all cut out of his clothes? Seems very odd. The only thing i can think of was somebody was in his room when he was having a shower at the city baths, but nobody could have known that, because he went there after he missed his train.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But they found no poison in the pasty he ate 4 hours earlier? Which means it could only have been the cigarette he was smoking, which were different to the brand found in the packet in his pocket.

There was no signs of a struggle or vomitting, which makes it unlikely he was poisoned (it said on wiki where i read it). Also the labels were all cut out of his clothes? Seems very odd. The only thing i can think of was somebody was in his room when he was having a shower at the city baths, but nobody could have known that, because he went there after he missed his train.

The poison wasn't in the pasty but that doesn't mean the only way he could be poisoned was through the cigarettes, they're just unsure HOW it was introduced but there were other ways it was possible.

The main theory about the vomit and the labels was that it'd believed he was killed cleaned up and had his labels removed by whoever killed him elsewhere before being dumped close to death. His shoe had also been removed and cleaned and polished.

No signs of a struggle is irrelevant as most people who are poisoned don't show signs of a struggle. I'm not sure what you mean about his room either, he didn't have a room.
  • Options
    PompeyBillPompeyBill Posts: 7,409
    Forum Member
    I dont think so - he was an eminent British surgeon. In fact Steven Knight analysed it as 3 men in conspiracy, tbh

Gull, John Netley, and Walter Sickert, the artist.

This Ripper theory has been pretty widely debunked by Ripper experts for a long time now.

For all Ripper interest, have a look at the Casebook website, it's got everything on there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Wow, Eddie, that IS a sad story, and not so far from me too....I'm in Fife.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PompeyBill wrote: »
    This Ripper theory has been pretty widely debunked by Ripper experts for a long time now.

For all Ripper interest, have a look at the Casebook website, it's got everything on there.

The Mary Kelly murder is remarkably like a murder that happened in Yorkshire, in the same week as I think that night of the Stride/Eddowes murders in Whitechapel.

It was literally reported one story under the other in the papers. If the Ripper read his press, he must have seen the Yorkshire story.

A woman was murdered by her lunatic son. He literally stamped her to death on the floor of an upstairs room in the pub she owned. He kept a young servant girl hostage - a passerby managed to rescue her at dawn. She witnessed the whole thing and it went on for hours, literally. By the time he had finished (Victorian newspapers are extremely graphic), the lady was in pieces all over the room.

He was immediately arrested and after a trial, sent to Broadmoor.

The trial and the grisly accounts of the murder with the woman being spattered across a room, the man having the whole night to kill her uninterrupted because he was indoors, and even down to him trying to burn bits in the fire - was remarkably reminiscent of the 'final' Ripper killing int erms of the crime scene if not in terms of the method of killing.

Ripperologists have not spotted this or made the connection. But I have seen the murder of this lady literally reported next to the accounts of the Stride and Eddowes murders.

My money is on the American doctor, Tumelty, for the Ripper murders.
  • Options
    mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is kylie minogue on smack, are asians literally a diferent race and descended from aliens (greys) and are we all products of someone elses mind....

not my questions, qestions of someone I know, who amuses me...I just humour the bastrard, but geeza tells me this with a straight face. I think he just likes playing with my fragile lil brain./ :p
  • Options
    SunnierSunnier Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are a lot of reports like this one here in the UK ~ so far these aren't reaching the press etc ~

http://www.uk-ufo.co.uk/2010/11/runcorn-cheshire-8th-november-2010/#comments

:)
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the link Hogzilla- he seems an almost comic demon!

There was also the Highgate Cemetry Vampire, which has instilled in me a fear of graveyards!