✭✭✭
    stv viewer wrote: »
    I think tomorrow's show will be hosted by

Ben and Kate with Ranvir on headlines

Fascinating.
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My dad is a big fan of Sky News first thing in the morning but personally I find it too hard hitting and way OTT. Every slight bit of news they get in has to be breaking news and they go into way too much detail and analysis. They get a story and run with it like a dog with a bone. For example...

BREAKING NEWS FLASH!

Duchess of Cornwall has an ingrowing toenail. We cross live to our roaming correspondent live on the scene. (Cue dramatic swish sound effect as the Sky News stinger flashes across the screen) "Yes we're here LIVE outside the chiropodists as the Duchess undergoes a life or death procedure on her toenail blah blah blah"

Cuts back to the studio where some doctor is waiting to be interviewed to give his expert opinion followed by some in detail analysis on a wall sized touch screen giving us stats and in depth detail of the entire procedure followed by tweets and feedback from the general British public. "And we'll come back to the story as soon as we get any more news." Cut to advert break for loan companies and online bingo sites followed by about 20 minutes of sport news (i.e football promoting their own subscription channels).

Jeez do me a favour will ya and lay off with the news bombardment and self promoting plugs for your sports services.

I find BBC News has just the right balance between the OTT hard hitting sensationalism of Sky and the dumbed down insulting of my intelligence that is ITV.
  • BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    Hardly surprising. ITV peddling their usual low brow stuff as always. What little actual news they do have is delivered in their usual dumbed down style like they're talking to children having to explain everything in simple terms with big colourful sets and graphics which wouldn't go a miss on a kiddies channel. The rest is made up of the usual z list gossip and women's fashion tips and Hollywood gossip. It's like a tv version of reading Heat magazine for bored housewives with that God awful orange faced Ross King delivering all the breaking important news from across the pond like what dress Angelina Jolie was wearing last night and other truly important breaking news trash.

BBC breakfast is a serious news programme with culture interspersed with light hearted articles and interviews delivered in a professional manner. I feel like it's more high brow as opposed to news for dummies. GMB seems like a trashy gossip mag for people who prefer to hear about makeup, cooking and fashion tips and X Factor/reality tv tattle and it feels like I'm being talked down to by a bunch of childrens tv presenters while they peddle out their usual female orientated low brow spoonfed trash for people who can't be arsed to engage their one and only braincell who think people like Keith Lemon and Rylan are their idea of first class talent.

Maybe if ITV stopped reducing all their programmes down to the lowest common denominator and stopped insulting our intelligence with their inane drivel then they'd gain more viewers.

You sir, have just utterly nailed it.
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bushmills wrote: »
    You sir, have just utterly nailed it.

Thank you but it wont make a blind bit of difference. People have been telling ITV this for years but they are not listening. They know best and the viewer knows nothing (apparently). They wont even acknowledge viewers complaints or concerns. They just keep peddling out the same old trash and rehashing the same old tripe hoping we'll all just lap it up while they suck up to the advertisers.

The problem with ITV is that they are more interested in selling advertising space and making their money from sponsors and it's all about them and while they keep paying their wages then the incentive isn't there to make better quality programming. Although I do believe they suffer from a case of burying their heads in the sand. Take their Saturday night entertainment failures for example. Splash, Push the Button and Red or Black. All 3 totally bombed in the first series yet ITV kept trying to flog the proverbial dead horse and despite viewers turning off in their millions they still commissioned a second series.

Now yet again they are receiving immense national backlash over their latest cockup, Harry Hill's Stars in Their Eyes which has been unanimously slated by almost everyone for dumbing down what used to be a national institution and have received thousands of complaints yet they refuse to acknowledge any wrongdoing and haven't even got the guts to reply to viewers complaints. At least when BBC cocked up with Don't Scare The Hare they had the good sense to bow to public opinion and pull it off air. ITV just take no notice and commission another series in hope this rubbish will eventually grow on us.

They really are a total bunch of idiots who (to site Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy) belong on the Golgafrincham Ark Fleet, Ship B with all the middle management numpties and telephone sanitisers.
  • southladsouthlad Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And ITV thought that was bad. Too be honest I quite liked Daybreak with Christine and Adrian

Me too...

When you watch this now... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTT15Bc02cI IMO it feels more warm, welcoming and fun than the current ITV breakfast show.
  • kelvokelvo Posts: 3,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still seems too much flitting about from place to place.

From at the desk for the news headlines, then Kate on the sofa and then after the break back to the desk - they must quickly wheel Sean away after he did the sport as after the weather with Alex he'd disappeared and Kate was quickly taking her seat after the 7 o'clock intro.

Why not have the first "news" hour around the desk and put the regional news back to 06:30? - they can then review the papers and chat, bring Sean in for the sport, for the rest of the show the use the sofa or the perch area for the interviews and just go back to desk for the headlines.
  • Casper GomezCasper Gomez Posts: 1,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    do you mean you think she has had her boobs reduced or do you mean they are smaller as she has lost weight

I thought her weight loss contributed to her boobs becoming smaller a first but their so much smaller so she proberly had them reduced.

I can't belive shes changed so much though to her gmtv days, even her personality a bit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kelvo wrote: »
    Why not have the first "news" hour around the desk and put the regional news back to 06:30? - they can then review the papers and chat, bring Sean in for the sport, for the rest of the show the use the sofa or the perch area for the interviews and just go back to desk for the headlines.

I wouldn't be surprised if the regional bulletins are helping to hold back the programme. They're no use, certainly in my region. A weather forecast recorded 18 hours in advance and 2-3 very brief news stories stretching hundreds of miles and usually from the previous nights show.

All they seem to do on ITV is breakup the flow of the show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charlotte's posted on her Twitter feed that her father passed away at the weekend so that is obviously why she has not been on screen this week. How sad at what should be such a happy time for her with her expecting her first child. May be that she won't return before she was due to go on maternity leave :(
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Whatever did happen to Carlos Romano ?
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kelvo wrote: »
    Charlotte's posted on her Twitter feed that her father passed away at the weekend so that is obviously why she has not been on screen this week. How sad at what should be such a happy time for her with her expecting her first child. May be that she won't return before she was due to go on maternity leave :(

Very sad time for Charlotte wish her all the best
  • zak_gzak_g Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    Tomorrow's presenters:
    Lorraine, Aled and Ranvir. Oh sorry, maybe not!
  • Bob_KnoobbBob_Knoobb Posts: 907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ben Shepherd has 589,000 followers on twitter.

Wouldn't it be cheaper for him to stay at home and tweet the news?

Susanna Reid only has 247, 000 followers- so half as popular?

Courtesy of StatusPeople (you get 3 free checks) https://fakers.statuspeople.com/Fakers/Scores

Ben Shephard @benshephard has 34% Fake Followers (e.g.bots etc..), 38% inactive (might be fake or just redundant) and only 28% good (active). Just because Ben SEEMS to have a lot of fake followers it does not necessarily mean he or his manager etc has bought them. A lot of bot accounts are programmed to attach to celeb accounts.
    Also different fake follower programmes have different search parameters. The programme I used yesterday on Susanna's followers counts inactives as good. Her results on this programme were Fake 33% Inactive 33% good 34%.
    I suppose you should always take any celebs follower numbers with a pinch of salt really perhaps always divide by at least half to get a more realistic number.
  • AndyB2007AndyB2007 Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if the regional bulletins are helping to hold back the programme. They're no use, certainly in my region. A weather forecast recorded 18 hours in advance and 2-3 very brief news stories stretching hundreds of miles and usually from the previous nights show.

All they seem to do on ITV is breakup the flow of the show.

Rachel Sweeney is as wooden as an actor on Sunset Beach on the Tyne Tees bulletins - they got rid of Mark Warr for her?

That said, given the way North East veteran announcer Kathy Secker has been treated on BBC Radio Newcastle by the current management (her show gets shoved around for sport or preempted altogether)!while Rachel Sweeney's mother Sue hogs half the shows, maybe this is the head of news at Tyne Tees feeling sorry for Jayne Secker, Kathy Secker's daughter, and making a fool out of Sue Sweeney? I've never seen Rachel anchor another bulletin outside breakfast.
  • zak_gzak_g Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    So Kate and Ranvir leading and John as newsreader again. Oh and the 6am open went really badly!
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's very noticeable that when any ITV shows, Simon Cowell, or any of the ITV "stars" are mentioned, GMB have to promote them all as a positive thing, even if the criticism is jokey and mild. Kate is particularly on message.

Today for instance Richard Arnold said that Ant and Dec were presenting the Brits, and Ranvir said something like oh good, ITV have found them something todo, they are not employed enough! A bit of gentle and welcome sarcasm. Kate and Richard exchanged a look and Kate immediately said oh, that's good, we can't see enough of them to turn it back around to a positive thing. Kate also seems protective of Cowell. Is it because she has a self preservation streak ( which is working because she has more lives on brekkie TV than a cat) or is it a GMB directive?
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,637
    Forum Member
    I must admit I'm more of a BBC Breakfast person but have tuned into GMB on occasion and it seems to me personally that they don't know what they want to be - one second they're all sitting with "concerned" faces talking about a serious news item and the next its all Vaselined smiles going on about some non-entity of a "celebrity" doing something really mediocre but they're there bigging it up like they'd discovered conclusive proof of the big bang theory.

I know all "magazine" shows jump around from one thing to another to a certain degree, including BBC Breakfast, but on GMB it really is noticable, whereas on the BBC they do tend to manage to switch smoothly from heavyweight to lightweight.

I'm not sure what else ITV can really do to save their failing breakfast programming - GMTV, Daybreak, and GMB have all "failed" in comparison to the BBC. Maybe they just need to face up to the fact they're never going to beat their main rival at this time of the morning.

Redecorating the studio, poaching presenters and changing the name of what always eventually morphs back into the same show just isn't working.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Whatever did happen to Carlos Romano ?

Did you fancy Crawla Romano? Was she your favourite back then?
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you fancy Crawla Romano? Was she your favourite back then?

No favourite of mine, she was dreadful, couldn't see her getting any work elsewhere after she was axed.
  • PowerLeePowerLee Posts: 1,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I much prefer BBC Breakfast for my morning news catch up before I head out to work.

I've tried to watch GMB before but it just come's across as cheap & trashy tv, the Blair Witch style camera work is really annoying to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zak_g wrote: »
    So Kate and Ranvir leading and John as newsreader again. Oh and the 6am open went really badly!

I was later this morning and only saw after 7 am, didn't see John at all, but from what I saw of Kate and Ranvir together - I don't think Ranvir is as good as at interviewing as Kate.

Don't think they should have had three stand-ins hosting the show, but guess they've had to juggle everyone around at the moment to cover Charlotte's absence this week. Think they should have at least one of the main four presenter in the main chair - even if that means staggering Ben and Susanna, this was how it was previously before the Xmas refresh.
  • simon_geraldsimon_gerald Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure John,Kate and Ranvir can be classed as stand ins any more they on GMB as much as the rest,they all did three days this week,its only Sean who did all five days,not even Laura does five days anymore.
  • Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure John,Kate and Ranvir can be classed as stand ins any more they on GMB as much as the rest,they all did three days this week,its only Sean who did all five days,not even Laura dies five days anymore.

They all die, every time they're on.

Edit- Oh, you've gone and changed it.

Not very sporting. >:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure John,Kate and Ranvir can be classed as stand ins any more they on GMB as much as the rest,they all did three days this week,its only Sean who did all five days,not even Laura does five days anymore.

Shall we call them 'Supplementary Presenters' then... :D

It might have worked better with Kate and John with Ranvir reading the headlines - seemed an odd set up this morning.

Charlotte is due to go on maternity leave from the end of this month, in a reply I got from GMB, so perhaps she may return before she does on leave depending how she feels I suppose - awful time for her really.