COULD The BBC or ITV snap up Neighbours from channel 5?

Comments

• David_HillDavid_Hill Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channel 4 could do with it. Their daytime shows only get 300k while the daytime edition of Neighbours gets between 600-700k. The teatime showing gets between 700-800k which is on line with what channel 4 gets in the slot.
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although the soaps still get good ratings they don't get the same ratings as years ago as there is now loads more channels and on demand stuff that you can watch.
    Like take last night for me a Friday night I normally watch Emmerdale and Coronation street between 7pm and 9pm then I have started in the last few weeks watching the US drama Crisis on Watch at 9pm.
    Last night I watched Emmerdale at 7pm then watched Scottish football on BT sport 1 HD between 7.30pm and 10pm and recoreded the show Crisis on Watch at 9pm and watched it in bed.
    I can catch up with Coronation Street via the STV player if I want.
    TV viewing has been changing over the years and as said there may not be room for a new TV soap in the UK.

Darren
  • CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More people here watch it than in Australia apparently, lol
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corabal wrote: »
    More people here watch it than in Australia apparently, lol
    given population size, that is no real surprise.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC have moved on in the same way Channel 4 has moved on from Big Brother, although they have had a struggle finding replacements. Pointless does very good business for BBC One at 5.15 and Doctors is more popular than Neighbours at 1.45, both are made for a fraction of what Ten demanded for Neighbours. ITV wouldn't want it either as The Chase gets three times as many viewers and again probably works out a lot cheaper, while Home and Away is a dead brand for ITV .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    The BBC have moved on in the same way Channel 4 has moved on from Big Brother, although they have had a struggle finding replacements. Pointless does very good business for BBC One at 5.15 and Doctors is more popular than Neighbours at 1.45, both are made for a fraction of what Ten demanded for Neighbours. ITV wouldn't want it either as The Chase gets three times as many viewers and again probably works out a lot cheaper, while Home and Away is a dead brand for ITV .
    I dont think the problem is what TEN wants for it, its what C5 was willing to pay for it, that moved it to C5. The question is, how much does Viacom value it?
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,404
    Forum Member
    As I said in the "other" thread - the contract to pay the huge amount by C5 was when C5 was owned by the same parent company that makes Neighbours.

With all the current talk of "tax avoidance" it does seem odd that one TV company, based in the UK, pays over £300 million to it's own production arm in Australia.

This reduces Channel 5's income/ profits by £300 million - which would be taxed at UK rates, and increases the Production Company's profits by a good margin over whatever the BBC paid - which would be liable for Australian Tax.

If Australian tax on TV production profits was less than that for UK TV Broadcasters - it is a good accounting trick - allegedly
  • James68James68 Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    Viacom will probably replace Neighbours with reality dross like 'Real Housewives' - but edit one programme into two days worth - it'll save money for them and provide more material for 5* and 5USA as well - Genius!

I make up this crap before someone actually does it - and then posters on DS will say soaps are dead and that it makes sense because it is a business and then it'll be:-

BBC will cancel Doctors because it will save money and they can replace it with repeats of Pointless (now there's a title if there ever was one) - edited into two shows for two days (the extra 7.5 minutes can consist of trailers for BBC I player) DS posters will champion the BBC for saving the public's money and it'll be the greatest decision to ensure the future of the BBC

Emmerdale will fall below 4 million viewers and ITV will say it's 'time for a change' etc.....etc. Jerseylicious perhaps?

And none of it will matter because people really only watch TV shows on the Internet and so whatever happens will be in the 'best interests' of the people - or something........
  • HeWhoIsHereHeWhoIsHere Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    seiko456 wrote: »
    Just to ask what are the current HOT Ozzy soaps?

Soaps are seen very culturally different in Australia. They are only considered socially acceptable for teenage girls. Men and grown Women are not suppose to watch them, so they are not seen as 'hot' they are seen as a way for teenage girls to get horny.

Australians prefer to watch light dramedys and the occasional melodrama(preferably period based).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James68 wrote: »
    Viacom will probably replace Neighbours with reality dross like 'Real Housewives' - but edit one programme into two days worth - it'll save money for them and provide more material for 5* and 5USA as well - Genius!
    I am almost surprised some of the soaps have not gone the other way.

By which I mean, gone from 5 x 30 episodes to 1 x 60, US primetime soaps like Desperate Housewives shows it can work, it would still be 50 weeks a year however.
  • BarrieTBarrieT Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    Home and Away still does pretty well as its on at 7pm on channel 7 (the no1 rated TV channel) but Neighbours is on channel Eleven a digital channel and gets around 196,000 usually outside of the top 20 digital ratings, meaning shows like peppa pig regularly out perform neighbours. Channel ten have pretty much abondoned it as it never gets promoted. Its a shame as in its big anniversary year its rating worse than it has in a long time. If it got axed in australia no one would even notice
  • TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    If, as reported, Channel Five pays £37m per year for Neighbours, that works out as around £148,000 per episode. Hardly great value for money.
  • H.MH.M Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    Soaps are seen very culturally different in Australia. They are only considered socially acceptable for teenage girls. Men and grown Women are not suppose to watch them, so they are not seen as 'hot' they are seen as a way for teenage girls to get horny.

On any given night, more than 30% of Home and Away's audience on Seven is over 50. H&A comfortably wins its slot in the 18-49 and 25-54 demos.
  • H.MH.M Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    It's been doing very badly so far this year in Australia, ratings across the board are down but even on Eleven the show was getting 350,000 a couple of years ago, peaking at 405,00 for one episode.

If a UK soap had lost 50% of it's audience in 18 months, there would be hell to pay!

Unfortunately, despite the show being better than it has for a few years, it's had pretty big budget cuts which affects the quality of the entire thing.

Of course the most important thing is the writing and story lining, which for me is pretty terrible. There are only so many teen love triangles I can take.

Unless it was outperforming expectations on Five, I doubt any other network is gong to want it. Unless they're intending to invest in it as a brand and try and bring it back to life.

It won't ever rate consistently above 400k while it airs on Eleven. 350-400,000 is about as high as digital TV programming can get on a regular basis. If it moved to Ten, the ratings would likely increase by about 150-200,000 on its current figures.
  • JeeooorghhhbbbJeeooorghhhbbb Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    I think the future of Neighbours depends on what happens with it here in the UK. I'm sure there was talk of axing it back in the 80s, but it was because it got such huge viewing figures here in the UK that it remained on air. At one point, it was as if the show was being made for British TV and not for Australian TV. If Channel 5 don't renew, or simply refuse to pay the amount that they paid previously, I can't see the show being around much longer. I doubt that the BBC would want it back now - like has already been said, they show very few imports nowadays. ITV are content with Coronation Street and Emmerdale five times a week now. The only other place I could see it working is on Channel 4 as a complement to Hollyoaks.
  • Ash_M1Ash_M1 Posts: 18,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the future of Neighbours depends on what happens with it here in the UK. I'm sure there was talk of axing it back in the 80s, but it was because it got such huge viewing figures here in the UK that it remained on air. At one point, it was as if the show was being made for British TV and not for Australian TV. If Channel 5 don't renew, or simply refuse to pay the amount that they paid previously, I can't see the show being around much longer. I doubt that the BBC would want it back now - like has already been said, they show very few imports nowadays. ITV are content with Coronation Street and Emmerdale five times a week now. The only other place I could see it working is on Channel 4 as a complement to Hollyoaks.

Arguably, Neighbours is a very BBC show. I am sure they could be interested in it if they could get co-production / develop British talent through it. It is very cheap to make and popular...when played on the BBC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TBH I dont see it on C4, sure C4 has its issues, but it would seem very out of place in C4 Daytime.

ITV early evening is strong right now, so at best its going to air mid afternoon, lunch time on ITV1 or on a digital channel. The truth is however unless ITV axe Loose Women, there is no clear hole for ITV to fill daytime, other than at 4pm, which would move Neighbours of its normal slots (which in fairness to C5, they have kept). No question ITV 2 or ITVBe could find space, HOWEVER they wont be spending the big money deal that Neighbours needs from the UK market to stay on air, to say nothing of the ratings drop that would happen.

I struggle to find a main channel that would keep it in its normal time slots, and airing on a digital channel would be both bad for ratings and the shows financial future.

Obviously I cant speak for Viacom, but I suspect they would be willing to keep it, if they can get a better deal.
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,404
    Forum Member
    Ash_M1 wrote: »
    Arguably, Neighbours is a very BBC show. I am sure they could be interested in it if they could get co-production / develop British talent through it. It is very cheap to make and popular...when played on the BBC.

The BBC tends not to forgive, or forget.

The boat race had to go grovelling back to them after ITV messed up.

Noel Edmonds has never made another show for the BBC after the last run of House Party ended, where he walked out of one episode just before it went on air.

If Neighbours ratings were sky high and the BBC got it pretty much for free, but with BBC 3 going they have plenty of stuff to fill channels these days.

Viacom have a huge archive of material, going right back to Bilko and the Beverley Hillbillies, they could show those shows in a continuous loop and still get better ratings.
    Look at Channel 4 at Breakfast - old US comedies.
  • ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    The BBC tends not to forgive, or forget.

The boat race had to go grovelling back to them after ITV messed up.

Noel Edmonds has never made another show for the BBC after the last run of House Party ended, where he walked out of one episode just before it went on air.

If Neighbours ratings were sky high and the BBC got it pretty much for free, but with BBC 3 going they have plenty of stuff to fill channels these days.

Viacom have a huge archive of material, going right back to Bilko and the Beverley Hillbillies, they could show those shows in a continuous loop and still get better ratings.
    Look at Channel 4 at Breakfast - old US comedies.
    Quite although I don't expect Bilko or the Beverly Hillbillies to be shown on either channel. Same goes for Laurel and Hardy, The Three Stooges (used to be on C4) etc They're not coming back, sadly.
  • AndyB2007AndyB2007 Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's been doing very badly so far this year in Australia, ratings across the board are down but even on Eleven the show was getting 350,000 a couple of years ago, peaking at 405,00 for one episode.

If a UK soap had lost 50% of it's audience in 18 months, there would be hell to pay!

Unfortunately, despite the show being better than it has for a few years, it's had pretty big budget cuts which affects the quality of the entire thing.

Of course the most important thing is the writing and story lining, which for me is pretty terrible. There are only so many teen love triangles I can take.

Unless it was outperforming expectations on Five, I doubt any other network is gong to want it. Unless they're intending to invest in it as a brand and try and bring it back to life.

With the storylining/writing, no Neighbours fans are being vile to Jason Herbison and demanding he be fired like they did to Susan Bower, even though this current ratings slump in Australia is on his watch. Why is Jason not receiving the same treatment, especially as he's running the same teen storylines as Susan?

If Hollyoaks or Coro St lost viewers, the fans would be calling for the heads of the producers.

When Neighbours as mentioned gets beaten in the Australian ratings by Peppa Pig (!), then Herbison ought to go. Rick Maier and Claire Tonkin, the Network Ten drama executives who have a hand in Neighbours, ought to get the axe too. If it wasn't for Wentworth, I would've wanted Jo Porter, head of drama at FremantleMediaAustralia, axed too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AndyB2007 wrote: »
    With the storylining/writing, no Neighbours fans are being vile to Jason Herbison and demanding he be fired like they did to Susan Bower, even though this current ratings slump in Australia is on his watch. Why is Jason not receiving the same treatment, especially as he's running the same teen storylines as Susan?

If Hollyoaks or Coro St lost viewers, the fans would be calling for the heads of the producers.

When Neighbours as mentioned gets beaten in the Australian ratings by Peppa Pig (!), then Herbison ought to go. Rick Maier and Claire Tonkin, the Network Ten drama executives who have a hand in Neighbours, ought to get the axe too. If it wasn't for Wentworth, I would've wanted Jo Porter, head of drama at FremantleMediaAustralia, axed too.

To be fair, the show has been much better under Jason's leadership. It has felt very much like Neighbours of old...a good balance between drama and comedy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, the show has been much better under Jason's leadership. It has felt very much like Neighbours of old...a good balance between drama and comedy.

But it's under his leadership the ratings in Australia are bad, with the ratings Charnham put up, and those were for February 2015, with Herbison at the helm.

Which is why I stand by my previous point - why call for Susan Bower's head over her direction when ratings were slumping yet Jason Herbison does the same thing with the show now being outrated by an animated pig and no campaigns are done to drive him out?
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I could be wrong but I could see Neighbours in time moving to 5* as well as maybe Home and away.
    I don't think I have watched both shows this year so far.
    My main two soaps the now are Coronation Street and Emmerdale.

Darren
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AndyB2007 wrote: »
    But it's under his leadership the ratings in Australia are bad, with the ratings Charnham put up, and those were for February 2015, with Herbison at the helm.

Which is why I stand by my previous point - why call for Susan Bower's head over her direction when ratings were slumping yet Jason Herbison does the same thing with the show now being outrated by an animated pig and no campaigns are done to drive him out?

We know that ratings aren't a reflection of quality as reflected by your reference to Peppa Pig.

I can only go on what I see. For me, it was less enjoyable under Bower and much more enjoyable under Jason. This week we have had the missing underwear story line coupled with the mix up over the tattoos. Funny as. Loved it. Neighbours of old I say.

Having Neighbours (or any show for that matter) on a minority channel...it's ratings were always going to be lower. Neighbours lost half it's audience when it switched from the Beeb to Ch5. Why? Ch5 is a minority channel watched by very few people. If it was still on the Beeb today, it would probably get 4 million viewers a day...guaranteed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We know that ratings aren't a reflection of quality as reflected by your reference to Peppa Pig.

I can only go on what I see. For me, it was less enjoyable under Bower and much more enjoyable under Jason. This week we have had the missing underwear story line coupled with the mix up over the tattoos. Funny as. Loved it. Neighbours of old I say.

Having Neighbours (or any show for that matter) on a minority channel...it's ratings were always going to be lower. Neighbours lost half it's audience when it switched from the Beeb to Ch5. Why? Ch5 is a minority channel watched by very few people. If it was still on the Beeb today, it would probably get 4 million viewers a day...guaranteed.

I was talking about the ratings in Australia, not the C5 ratings.

It was getting double ratings a couple of years on Eleven as someone mentioned on here, compared to as for now.

Clearly the Australian fans are not enjoying Herbison's work. Looking at Charnham's link, Peppa Pig didn't just outrate Neighbours, the ITV drama Lewis starring Kevin Whately beat it too, and that's a quality show.

If Herbison's work was that great,it would be doing well in Oz.