Options

COULD The BBC or ITV snap up Neighbours from channel 5?

Comments

• Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    Well thats sorted it then for Viacom - just ditch the deal and let anyone who complains download it from Aussie websites.

Looking forward to seeing Bilko again !!!
    im not talking about the whole deal, its just the truth.
  • Options
    1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    If the figure quoted by others is correct - then £37 million per year is £711,000 per week, at 5 episodes that is £142,000 for 20-odd minutes of television.

So you need to take £142, 000 in advertising just to pay for that episode

I am betting that and old sitcom probably costs in the hundreds of pounds to air in the UK, not hundreds of thousands - so any revenue you make over a grand is profit.

You don't need high ratings if the programme costs next to nothing in the first place
    Although each episode is shown twice a day on Channel 5, it is on Demand 5 and there are plans to return the Omnibus to the UK on sister channel Viva. So that would be a more modest £50k of advertising needed for each episode screened on linear TV. I believe only 48 weeks of Neighbours are shown but the specials probably balance this out a bit.
  • Options
    AndyB2007AndyB2007 Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    Although each episode is shown twice a day on Channel 5, it is on Demand 5 and there are plans to return the Omnibus to the UK on sister channel Viva. So that would be a more modest £50k of advertising needed for each episode screened on linear TV. I believe only 48 weeks of Neighbours are shown but the specials probably balance this out a bit.

They did run the omnibus on Viva, and canned it after a few weeks due to low ratings before Christmas.

I'm surprised Viacom don't get the full end theme like the Aussies on Fridays, instead of that sped up, shortened theme crap.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After all, it's the UK saving Neighbours, so at least we hear the full end theme as Australia.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AndyB2007 wrote: »
    After all, it's the UK saving Neighbours, so at least we hear the full end theme as Australia.
    this is hardly the biggest issue with the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £37 million Jesus wept for that price the BBC funds EastEnders & Holby City with a spare couple of million left over,, Five/Viacom need to get rid as there is no way on those numbers Five is seeing any benefit, for that amount Five could invest in about six hours of prime time drama a week.

How much money is being wasted on Home & Away? If it's a similar amount then that's a hell of a lot of money wasted on basic daytime fodder, axing both and reinvesting the money into prime time would be more cost effective and likely to see viewers turn to see fresh new prime time five home grown content.

If the BBC had retained neighbours at a cost higher than EastEnders then there would have been calls for the deal to be axed or renegotiated. Aussie soaps are the millstone around Fives neck. I still think the BBC was wrong to air the episodes after it was announced they had pulled out of bidding, they should have refused to air the show and thus leave Five with a continuity nightmare or sold the remainder of the contract to Five at profit.

Wonder if it's feasible that Viacom may try to buy out the remainder of the contract for Neighbors? I would if I were the bean counters, once Neighbours goes then I cannot see them wanting to hang on to H&A even though they have a lifetime contract, there must be a clause to allow Five/Viacom to walk with notice.

For 64 hours of tv a year Five is paying £37 million, EastEnders costs about £20 million for about 108 hours a year. Who is getting value for money certainly not Five.

Home and Away has become the Braxton show in recent years, although the rot probably set in with the Pippa recasting. It's clear where Bianca Gascoigne, Katie Price, Calum, Abi Titmuss and Cheryl (and rappers like Ludacris and Khia for their songs) got inspiration from the moment the 2nd Pippa married her on-screen husband in real life, hence why she was able to stay on H&A for longer than she was in other soaps like Cell Block H.

Viacom may as well stick the Geordie Shore/Ex on the Beach cast in H&A - as they fund it, hot men/women, and a nod to John Holmes replacing Vanessa Downing. Well Home and Away can't be bad already.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    this is hardly the biggest issue with the showUOTE]

Agreed - would be nice to hear the full end theme, but never going to happen.

One question - if Neighbours is on a low budget, meaning it mainly films on the backlot to save money and if Viacom cuts down the price in the next contract, then the budget will be cut again as Eleven pays on performance, how can Jason Herbison afford to get the likes of Anne Charleston and other oldies back for the 30th birthday? Ms Charleston, Mellissa Bell and Ian Smith will hardly come cheap unless they agreed a pay cut. Again, same with Sherree Murphy last year - given they would have to fly her from the UK, unless she was living in Oz.

Or the older longer serving actors were told to take a pay cut by Herbison to pay for the likes of Charleston.

Especially when at Toadie and Sonya's wedding, the low budget meant they couldn't afford the actors who played Toadie's friends Lance and Amy (either that or the actors didn't want to do it).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One question - if Neighbours is on a low budget, meaning it mainly films on the backlot to save money and if Viacom cuts down the price in the next contract, then the budget will be cut again as Eleven pays on performance, how can Jason Herbison afford to get the likes of Anne Charleston and other oldies back for the 30th birthday? Ms Charleston, Mellissa Bell and Ian Smith will hardly come cheap unless they agreed a pay cut. Again, same with Sherree Murphy last year.

Or the older longer serving actors were told to take a pay cut by Herbison to pay for Charleston.

Especially when at Toadie and Sonya's wedding, the low budget meant they couldn't afford the actors who played Toadie's friends Lance and Amy (either that or the actors didn't want to do it).
    30th Anniversary is 30th Anniversary, they can produce some surprises.

That said the basic question of, the show surviving a pay cut is a fair point.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    forces tv show bilko in the uk currently.How much does neighbours make from sales in ireland and further afield and could viacom actually go totally in and buy rights for all territories they operate in where neighbours isnt already broadcast. we sure dont know what viacom are going to do yet with any of channel 5 do we - csi costly for example-we should leave them to make their decision in 2 years time. by that point this thread wiill be long and very pointless
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    Charnham wrote: »
    this is hardly the biggest issue with the showUOTE]

Agreed - would be nice to hear the full end theme, but never going to happen.

One question - if Neighbours is on a low budget, meaning it mainly films on the backlot to save money and if Viacom cuts down the price in the next contract, then the budget will be cut again as Eleven pays on performance, how can Jason Herbison afford to get the likes of Anne Charleston and other oldies back for the 30th birthday? Ms Charleston, Mellissa Bell and Ian Smith will hardly come cheap unless they agreed a pay cut. Again, same with Sherree Murphy last year - given they would have to fly her from the UK, unless she was living in Oz.

Or the older longer serving actors were told to take a pay cut by Herbison to pay for the likes of Charleston.

Really makes you wonder where that £37 million a year is going, because very little of it is on screen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    torpido wrote: »
    forces tv show bilko in the uk currently.How much does neighbours make from sales in ireland and further afield and could viacom actually go totally in and buy rights for all territories they operate in where neighbours isnt already broadcast. we sure dont know what viacom are going to do yet with any of channel 5 do we - csi costly for example-we should leave them to make their decision in 2 years time. by that point this thread wiill be long and very pointless
    yes unless Viacom plan to end it, it is far too early for this discussion, if it is to be dropped we could know that a year in advance.

Dont see Viacom going all in however, not sure there is any reward for a further gamble, global rights are fairly meaningless for Neighbours, we are not going to see Viacom attempt to launch it worldwide, I suspect no TV market will ever launch a new soap again, certainly not a western one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    basically just saying anything could happen and we wont know till we have to know.
  • Options
    seiko456seiko456 Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who else pays for the show? Its still being shown around the world is it not?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seiko456 wrote: »
    Who else pays for the show? Its still being shown around the world is it not?

The likes of New Zealand, Ireland,etc.

But the global sales won't help the show - ITV still cancelled Taggart 2 years shy of it's 30th birthday in 2011 despite being sold internationally. Not to mention Baywatch, Santa Barbara and Sunset Beach which were popular globally and still axed.
  • Options
    ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The likes of New Zealand, Ireland,etc.
    From this list Home and Away seem to be doing better on that front, not surprising as they are distributed by Southern Star (Endemol)
  • Options
    PaulRobinsonFanPaulRobinsonFan Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ash_M1 wrote: »
    Arguably, Neighbours is a very BBC show. I am sure they could be interested in it if they could get co-production / develop British talent through it. It is very cheap to make and popular...when played on the BBC.

I agree neitbours deserves to be back on the BBC with a good support team to Brit the viewing figures back up again. The channel needs neitbours during its daytime schedule. Also a 3rd repeat at 7pm daily would be ideal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree neitbours deserves to be back on the BBC with a good support team to Brit the viewing figures back up again. The channel needs neitbours during its daytime schedule. Also a 3rd repeat at 7pm daily would be ideal.
    given that EE is loosing its repeats, its highly unlikely Neighbours would get a 3rd outing, in the highly unlikely event, it returns to the BBC.
  • Options
    Ash_M1Ash_M1 Posts: 18,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree. Whilst Neighbours is an Australian production, it is very BBC too. Get it back on the Beeb and watch the ratings triple.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. Whilst Neighbours is an Australian production, it is very BBC. Get it back on the Beeb and watch the ratings triple.

I doubt it will be on the BBC, given that FremantleMedia got greedy and wanted them to pay 300 million pounds for it - a slap in the face considering the BBC helped FremantleMedia when Channel Ten wanted to axe Neighbours.

Besides, Pointless with Alexander Armstrong gets decent ratings which were similar or higher than Neighbours had before it moved, and on a cheaper cost than Neighbours.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    I doubt it will be on the BBC, given that FremantleMedia got greedy and wanted them to pay 300 million pounds for it - a slap in the face considering the BBC helped FremantleMedia when Channel Ten wanted to axe Neighbours.

Besides, Pointless with Alexander Armstrong gets decent ratings which were similar or higher than Neighbours had before it moved, and on a cheaper cost than Neighbours.

The BBC tend not to forgive or forget.
    Stars that jump to ITV or C4, then find it goes horribly wrong, rarely get welcomed back to the BBC.
    The BBC will only work with people like that if a) they left in a dignified manner,
    and b) they have a role in mind for them.

I can think of people like Anna Ford or Frank Skinner in this category, as the BBC wanted them back to do a particular job. The likes of Bleakley and Chiles have not been back on TV. (What Susanna Reid was doing on Andrew Marr as a guest is anyone's guest - unless it was some kind of contractual obligation)

News is different as journalists may switch to get promotion if there is an incumbent (Nick Robinson/ John Sergeant comes to mind)

Noel Edmonds annoyed the BBC over Noel's House Party, and has not worked for them again.
  • Options
    1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ohglobbits wrote: »
    From this list Home and Away seem to be doing better on that front, not surprising as they are distributed by Southern Star (Endemol)
    Neighbours is distributed by German multinational RTL so has widespread distribution too including Hulu in the US.
  • Options
    samuel79samuel79 Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    Its a good show to air before or after EastEnders I think the reason it does bad is there is only unemployed or mums in at 1/2pm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    samuel79 wrote: »
    Its a good show to air before or after EastEnders I think the reason it does bad is there is only unemployed or mums in at 1/2pm

If Neighbours airs before EE at 7 or 7.30pm - it will face either Emmerdale or Coronation Street.

And there is no way they're going to pull Watchdog, Panorama, Inside Out, A Question of Sport or the One Show to air Neighbours.

If anything, River City needs to be treated with respect - it's been on the air for 13 years, has not had a networked airing, and the fanbase gets treated like muck - see the preemptions 2 years ago during the Clutha crash / Nelson Mandela's funeral highlights, when the struggling sitcom Hebburn was preferred over RC on BBC2 Scotland because Ken McQuarrie didn't want BBC Radio Newcastle's breakfast show presenters (as one of them was in the sitcom), their fanbase and management, and the producer/cast/main writers of Hebburn to go mad at him, despite RC being higher rated.

Yet Hebburn still got axed and given some of the RC fanbase included the daughter of BBC Radio Newcastle's drivetime host and the ITV Breakfast queen Lorraine Kelly (not to mention Johnny Beattie is in RC, and his daughters are actresses, and one of them, like Hebburn's Neil Grainger, was in a soap), most of the Hebburn cast have struggled since.
  • Options
    Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. Whilst Neighbours is an Australian production, it is very BBC too. Get it back on the Beeb and watch the ratings triple.

Seriously that is never going to happen, the BBC could not justify the cost of buying it unless the show was offered at a much reduced rate i.e £3 million a year, anything more would be waste. But let's be reminded that the BBC kept this show on air during the nineties and look how their loyalty was treated, the BBC never forget those that screw them over as quite a few actors have found to their cost.

Ten don't want it, BBC don't want it and Viacom will be looking for a way out of the very obscene £37 million a year contract, it's days are numbered, not a case of if its axed but when. The ending of local production quotas down under will be the final nail in its coffin.
  • Options
    Ash_M1Ash_M1 Posts: 18,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seriously that is never going to happen, the BBC could not justify the cost of buying it unless the show was offered at a much reduced rate i.e £3 million a year, anything more would be waste. But let's be reminded that the BBC kept this show on air during the nineties and look how their loyalty was treated, the BBC never forget those that screw them over as quite a few actors have found to their cost.

Ten don't want it, BBC don't want it and Viacom will be looking for a way out of the very obscene £37 million a year contract, it's days are numbered, not a case of if its axed but when. The ending of local production quotas down under will be the final nail in its coffin.

Is the Australian government going to end the local production quotas anytime soon?

In this day and age of multi-channels, no channel is going to axe an established show in favour of an unknown show. Perhaps Neighbours could move to Channel 9? Not sure what contract Ten have with it.