Wanted in Paradise BBC2

2»

Comments

• HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    As someone that has looked into relocating to paradise a couple of times in my life, I can say that 90% of the research takes place at my PC.

Which countries are easy / hard to get work permits and residents permits, which companies there are recruiting people with my skills, what are the rules for foreigners buying property, what are the taxes and welfare systems like, how long a flight to a decent hospital in case of emergency, etc, etc.

From home you can judge 20 or 30 potential locations, draw up a short list and actually try contact estate agents and potential employers in multiple islands.

What I didn't do was jump on a plane and try to find it all out in a week just in one Island.

I'm still in the UK as either I didn't find the right job, or I did find some negative that convinced me I'm better off here. If I try again I think I'll start much closer to home, like Malta or Cyprus. At least in the EU, a lot of the show stoppers are eliminated from day 1.

I think that paradise for me would be to sell my large semi here buy a flat and then spend our winter in, say, Malaga or somewhere with an equable winter climate and not upper 80's/90s and humidity to boot! That would be hell to me.
  • Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This and it's Aussie original really infuriate me, from the tear inducing messages from home, exploiting the emotions of the participants, to the stupidest of stupid thing with flags when picking a side, everything just screams tacky tat. Never mind a family getting freeby trip to wherever at license payers expense I.e. Mine. And believe this is one of the very very few instances where I resent my money being used by the BBC.

I saw one and a bit of the Paradise version and I'm sorry I was disgusted the BBC would pay to have this made or buy it or whatever.

Is this some pathetic attempt to force viewers to watch The One Show? Are they trying to make figures for BBC 3 look good before it disappears to the iPlayer for ever? Because to consider 'that' entertaining or an idea as suitable viewing does make me question the sanity of those in charge. I would have to ask just what do those who watch it consider entertainment?

I believe bear baiting was popular entertainment once, tag a celebrity aspect to it and I could a winner, if that detritus is anything to go by.
  • SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,678
    Forum Member
    It was on BBC2 not 3.
  • Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SolarSail wrote: »
    It was on BBC2 not 3.

I know, Wanted in Paradise is so abysmal people might be tempted to try BBC 3 instead if that utter garbage.
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    Hamlet77 wrote: »
    I know, Wanted in Paradise is so abysmal people might be tempted to try BBC 3 instead if that utter garbage.

Not abysmal really, as it was nice to see such 'paradises' but it was the idiots who chose them for a free holiday that annoyed me with their mainly half-baked ideas.
    I hope that they do a re-visited series in a year's time. Some hopes.
  • Jules_BaxterJules_Baxter Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    Not abysmal really, as it was nice to see such 'paradises' but it was the idiots who chose them for a free holiday that annoyed me with their mainly half-baked ideas.
    I hope that they do a re-visited series in a year's time. Some hopes.

Yes my OH also said it would be interesting to have a revisit episode! I'l; be surprised if any of them actually move bar the Barbados family - I must admit we have recently come back from Barbados and absolutely loved it!

Other than that though we find the program not nearly informative enough even on the property buying basics like having a mortgage and how you go about getting one in these far off places.

Most of the participants don't seem to have given much thought in to it especially those that feel they want to live there yet have never even been there til the program paid for them to go! A few other things that annoy me about the program are:

i) The woman moaning about the costs of groceries (think it was the Brazilian woman in Tortola) yet she had bought heinz beans and HP sauce - it's not rocket science that small islands in the middle of a vast ocean need to spend significant money importing goods in so yes a lot of stuff can be expensive if you don't buy locally made! I had to look for local groceries in the supermarket in Barbados because otherwise it can be 3 times the price!

ii) Why an earth are these people guessing what their budget is for a property, going out there taking up estate agents time to view properties based on the budget they think they have got before even having their property at home valued! It's a stupid format and when we start looking at property abroad which we intend to do one day, our home will get valued first!

iii) Nobody seems to talk about the cost of getting any personal possessions shipped to the "paradise" location!! What about that family who wanted the small holding in Costa Rica! They had a menagerie of animals back home, what where they planning to do with them!!

iv) Costa Rica was a very strange location to choose I must say, it's bordered by some very dangerous countries and is a drugs route from south to north America! It says on the Foriegn Office website that you shouldn't even venture out in to the sticks without an experienced guide!

Seemed too many idiots on this program, I've the Thailand one to watch yet with the two guys so we'll see how many brain cells they have between them :-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    As this is a new series, thgeyve not been able to get totally genuine participants. I think on the whole they're people with media connection s who've simply agreed to take part. If there's a series 2, they might get somne interest frompeopke who are actually planning to move somewhere exotic.
  • suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 16,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is real shout at the telly stuff. From sniggering at the "foreign" food and grumbling that imported western food is expensive to complaining that it's hot in a tropical country (DS give us back the rolls eyes icon). Clearly some are looking for a free trip which is not a good use of the licence fee. Others swan in to a usually poor island and expect to be welcomed with open arms and get the same salary as the UK and look put out if they are told their skills aren't needed. The truly irritating part is the messages from home, as if you wouldn't consider the impact of a move on your family. These people act as if it hadn't crossed their mind that leaving ageing parents might be problematic. Did find it interesting that in Tortola they divide the population into "belongers" and "non-belongers" and the non group can't use local schools etc
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sheff71 wrote: »
    That's what annoys me about the Wanted Down Under show - these families going on about how they want family time together, but can't because one is in say Glasgow and the other in London... then are happy to travel halfway around the world, rip up everything they know and disrupt their familes and friends, and then go for completely new jobs, usually at a lower level initially, to be together... yet they weren't prepared to do that in the UK in the first place.

I agree with you & "A place on the sun " ( although that's a holiday home ) is just as annoying , the wife in an epi I've just watched wanted to just lie by a pool all day in Spain with a drink in her hand, she'd no other plans. The husband wanted a holiday home in the UK where he could walk , tinker with his old cars & garden .

They didn't seem worried about their children left behind, I don't think kids visit their families in Spain as often as they say they will !
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    suesuesue wrote: »
    This is real shout at the telly stuff. From sniggering at the "foreign" food and grumbling that imported western food is expensive to complaining that it's hot in a tropical country (DS give us back the rolls eyes icon). Clearly some are looking for a free trip which is not a good use of the licence fee. Others swan in to a usually poor island and expect to be welcomed with open arms and get the same salary as the UK and look put out if they are told their skills aren't needed. The truly irritating part is the messages from home, as if you wouldn't consider the impact of a move on your family. These people act as if it hadn't crossed their mind that leaving ageing parents might be problematic. Did find it interesting that in Tortola they divide the population into "belongers" and "non-belongers" and the non group can't use local schools etc

The Tortola couple did say at the end of their show that they were going to move out there, yet in the newspaper today they're moaning about not being able to enrol their kids into a school ......... in Hertfordshire!

Methinks you are right. They just wanted a free trip abroad.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2986622/Twins-born-days-start-school-year-told-start-Year-One-father-slams-lack-common-sense.html
  • chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member
    The Tortola couple did say at the end of their show that they were going to move out there, yet in the newspaper today they're moaning about not being able to enrol their kids into a school ......... in Hertfordshire!

Methinks you are right. They just wanted a free trip abroad.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2986622/Twins-born-days-start-school-year-told-start-Year-One-father-slams-lack-common-sense.html

Yes spotted that, obviously media savvy
  • chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More years ago than I care to remember I tried to get a job on Cayman, with a Canadian Bank. At the interview, I was told the likely salary: three hearty cheers for an eye-watering increase in money. The interviewer then reminded me of the cost of living. Oh boy, am I glad I didn't get the job. And in those pre-internet days, it would've taken about six weeks for letters to get to and fro - far cry from today's instant communication.
  • Dub2Dub2 Posts: 2,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dangerous programme. I bet there are people out there planning to sell up and move to `paradise` based on the misinformation in this show.
  • chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I should think the off camera scenes are good:

Q. "I want to start a business in direct competiton to you; what should I do?"
    A. "You can make a start by ****ing off back to Blighty"
  • Dave_Edwards2Dave_Edwards2 Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    Did they ever make a "revisited" series for these programmes - we watched some of them recently and were staggered by the lack of preparedness of all of the couples, particularly their lack of financial awareness - wonder if any actually went??