Options

Michelle Heaton: I have an 80% chance of getting cancer

poppy10poppy10 Posts: 1,845
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/4488620/Michelle-Heaton-I-have-an-80-chance-of-getting-cancer.html

Why does she feel the need to share this news on Twitter and OK magazine ? If that was me I would keep this between family and close friends.

Comments

• Options
    Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LIke most zelebs with illnesses or sick children they usually claim they're 'upping awareness' of the complaint or disease.
    Katie Price does it all the time with Harvey.

Whilst I sympathise with Michelle and understand she must be going through hell at the moment, I wish she'd kept it to herself.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    Sad but you don't tweet about it. There's an element of 'this will get me in the papers again' about it. Nothing's private anymore.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sort of mixed on it. I do think its not the sort of thing you announce to the world however if she manages to raise some sort of awareness about this type of cancer then surely that is only a good thing?

Either way I wish Michelle all the best.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kizzib wrote: »
    Sad but you don't tweet about it. There's an element of 'this will get me in the papers again' about it. Nothing's private anymore.

I agree 100 %
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't really understand why people are quite happy to broadcast things that are personal in their lives to the world through tabloids. Now that the Internet's extremely popular with households, everyone from around the world can see them articles.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Read this earlier, i like Michelle, and also wish her all the best, its disgusting the abuse shes getting, some sick people out there.
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And she finds the need to tell us because....

But I wish her all the best.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So she gave one interview to OK! magazine and, as appears to be the usual case, the tabloids spin this out into half a dozen articles and people fall for it .. again .. and make the flying leap that she's talking to the press.

And for the pedantry police, yes, i'm exaggerating about "half a dozen articles". It might not be exactly half a dozen but the point still stands ..
  • Options
    egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is she famous enough to get in OK! magazine?
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    egghead1 wrote: »
    Why is she famous enough to get in OK! magazine?

Do you not mean HOW is she famous enough to get in OK! magazine? She used to be in a band called Liberty X.
  • Options
    MadMoo40MadMoo40 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Do you not mean HOW is she famous enough to get in OK! magazine? She used to be in a band called Liberty X.

Yes, about a decade ago and has done nothing notable since .... so why on earth is she still in OK magazine and the like?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frustrating as some of you know from other threads I have had a double masectomy and full hysterectomy.. I am not a movie star or a zeleb. I carry the gene BRAC 1 and 2... and got sick.
    I didn't even have to think of it I said rip my boobs and the eggs out. Living is much more important than them.

I don't need breasts to be a woman.. but my child needs me to be a mom.

Her whole thing is pretty over stretched... Even being a carrier doesn't mean you will EVER get it.. nor does it mean that you need to have the surgery (I had it due to falling ill)...

I find zelbs think people out there have not gone through what they have and its such a tragic even for them. Meanwhile there are lots of Geneve's out there who like me are going through life daily pretty thankful we are still living.

So Michelle, why make a drama over it.. get educated and stop filling the press with your sh&t
  • Options
    NotaTypoNotaTypo Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Can't really understand why people are quite happy to broadcast things that are personal in their lives to the world through tabloids. Now that the Internet's extremely popular with households, everyone from around the world can see them articles.
    Because thanks to Jade Goody, cancer and the threat of it is a great career move for pointless z-listers. It gets them articles in magazine and maybe even their very own "my cancer hell" reality show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NotaTypo wrote: »
    Because thanks to Jade Goody, cancer and the threat of it is a great career move for pointless z-listers. It gets them articles in magazine and maybe even their very own "my cancer hell" reality show.

Difference is with Jade she did some good with happened to her. Michelle is just being crazy. The NHS will not give out genetic testing for free without realllly good cause i.e many lines of cancer in the family so you need to pay for it. It's not cheap.
  • Options
    incy wincyincy wincy Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Geneve wrote: »
    Difference is with Jade she did some good with happened to her. Michelle is just being crazy. The NHS will not give out genetic testing for free without realllly good cause i.e many lines of cancer in the family so you need to pay for it. It's not cheap.

Jade might have done some good but she died in the process. Michelle is trying to stop herself getting to Jade's point.

If someone has a lot of money and thinks there is a chance the gene was in their family, why not pay out for it? For someone who's obviously suffered herself, why criticise someone for paying for a test that might help them avoid the same suffering?

She shouldn't be mediawhoring off it though.
  • Options
    johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the problem with Michelle is that she's a zeleb, who is primarily famous these days for being one of Katie Price's Klingons. Therefore it's hard to take anything she says seriously. Even something like this '80% chance of developing cancer' thing seems like yet another desperate attempt to stay in the limelight when it's coming from her. Unfortunately, she only has herself to blame for that. Years of sharing every wind-breakage with the media and hanging around with KP has made people naturally sceptical of her motives.

That's the problem with being a zeleb. Sooner or later you will suffer genuine tragedy or trauma in your life, but after years of your love affairs, kiss & tells, weight losses/gains and other brainless guff, people will assume that you're sharing your illness, berevement or whatever to keep your face in the newspapers and mags.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've turned into a world of people who think nothing of over sharing and that airing your dirty laundry in public is your duty to the world in general.

Z list celebs are the worst culprits. They'll announce on twitter before telling their families with the excuse that they owe it to their *fans* to tell them every time they take a crap. And, if you insist on telling the world every teeny tiny detail of your private life then you leave yourself open to criticism imo.

Sorry Michelle but unless you are genuinely trying to raise awareness and intend to do some good with this, then it's not really for public consumption as it smacks more of attention seeking than making people aware.

If she does speak out and make an awareness campaign, I'll be the first to give her credit but we'll see.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    incy wincy wrote: »
    Jade might have done some good but she died in the process. Michelle is trying to stop herself getting to Jade's point.

If someone has a lot of money and thinks there is a chance the gene was in their family, why not pay out for it? For someone who's obviously suffered herself, why criticise someone for paying for a test that might help them avoid the same suffering?

She shouldn't be mediawhoring off it though.

Because shes not being truthful and she is exaggerating the truth. Nor does she mention this was done privately! Lots of people may think now they can rock up and be tested for free on the nhs.

Jade died because her cancer was not caught early enough.... The rates for beating cancer now are a lot higher than even 4 years ago.
  • Options
    Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    I find it very distasteful how Z celebs use health problems to gain attemtion and sympathy from the media. We had Chantelle tell us ALL about how she will never have a baby due to the damage she had done to herself with extreme dieting and lots of sad, tragic pics of Chantelle only for her to get pregnant with Alex whatever his name is!!!! Now they are making money by selling pics of their baby and going on and on about her, at every opportunity, or should I say at the drop of pound notes etc. Ghastly. Micheele Heaton should keep quiet about this and be supported by her family and friends (like the rest of us). The fact is the public are very cynical as celebs use every opportunity to make money, whether it is from baby books, clothes, perfumne etc. Nobody ever has a cold in Celeb Land, obviously.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Geneve wrote: »
    Because shes not being truthful and she is exaggerating the truth. Nor does she mention this was done privately! Lots of people may think now they can rock up and be tested for free on the nhs.

Jade died because her cancer was not caught early enough.... The rates for beating cancer now are a lot higher than even 4 years ago.

Actually, to be fair to the NHS Jade WAS told by her doctor to have a hysterectomy (spelling??) and she refused!! I remember reading an article about it and how she wanted to have a daughter etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    poppy10 wrote: »

WHY ON EARTH would anyone TWITTER such a private thing, not unless they are desperate to be the centre of attention! Honestly I do not understand when a celeb dies everyone has to TWITTER rather than write a personal note or call the family. Sometimes I think the world has gone barking mad!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its pretty silly and I think she should think on before saying sh&t... I mean there are peopel out there really suffering with this disease and have less than a 5 percent survival rate.

She is misquoting statistics and just being a drama queen. Frankly, if you are really worried about leaving your kid alone and dying from this IMO you'd have the surgery and not tweet about it.
  • Options
    lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WHY ON EARTH would anyone TWITTER such a private thing, not unless they are desperate to be the centre of attention! Honestly I do not understand when a celeb dies everyone has to TWITTER rather than write a personal note or call the family. Sometimes I think the world has gone barking mad!

There's your answer.

But then, if she wasn't talking about this, no one would be talking about her because she's of no current interest, she has no media profile and no reason other than this for being in the 'news'.

It's all kinds of sickening.

@Geneve, kudos, and continued good health. :)
  • Options
    Cyril_SneerCyril_Sneer Posts: 2,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poppy10 wrote: »
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/4488620/Michelle-Heaton-I-have-an-80-chance-of-getting-cancer.html

Why does she feel the need to share this news on Twitter and OK magazine ? If that was me I would keep this between family and close friends.

Heaton seemed ok in the early days of Liberty X, it seems the minute she met scott lee and pricey she turned into some desperate skanky fame **** and this is just disgusting - she knows exactly what she's doing, tweeting hospital pictures too. Yet another z-lister who blew all the money and cannot admit its over (career wise)