Dredd / Stallone

JDBabyJDBaby Posts: 180
Forum Member
I was wondering if anybody feels that Stallones Dredd was partially a victim of the time it was made?

If Stallone had made Dredd now, would there be no crap comedy sidekick, helmet firmly superglued in place, more extreme action? Basically, would he have made a good Dredd if he did it now?

There were certain bits of the 1995 I did like such as the music, Armand Assante played a good OTT villian, Megacity One looked good etc...but to many compromises were made.

I enjoyed the new Dredd, what do you think Stallone coulda done?

Comments

• Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite like Judge Dredd 1995, even with the comedy sidekick.

Though Stallone's a little bit on the soft side and just wasn't anywhere near as mean as Judge Dredd should have been.

The constant helmet removal was probably down to the producers, as they paid top dollar for Stallone.
  • ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disappointed studio hasn't cashed in by sprucing up Judge Dredd for a R2 blu-ray release. Always had a soft spot for Stallone's Dredd - great visuals, soaring music, lots of action and some comedy. Never been a Dredd comic fan, so removal of the helmet was not so sacrilegous as some have made it out to be.

Anyone know of an imminent release?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved Stallone's Dredd. But then again I love most Stallone films.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed it even though it was cheesy,i read there was quite a lot cut from the movie including more scenes with the clones,they just seem to disappear in the movie lol
  • Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The UK version cut out several head butt scenes that remain in the US version.

BBFC sure did love to interfere with things that they should have left well alone.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1995 Dredd is unfairly maligned in my view.

If there had been no such thing as 2000AD and it was a standalone film, I think that it would have been held in higher regard. The effects were excellent for the time, and as mentioned above the cityscapes and score etc. were of a very high standard indeed.

BUT, because 2000AD did exist, there was the natural comparison between Stallone and Dredd, and that's where it did stumble, because Stallone brought a bit too much humanity to the character.

But remember that edgy characters were not normal in the mainstream so much back then - the line between hero and villain was much clearer, and Dredd, as one of the archetypal anti-heroes, was never going to be portrayed to everyone's satisfaction.

In some ways, Assante may have been a better Dredd with a toned down Rico character.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    I've also got a soft spot for the Stallone version, I was still heavily into 2000AD at the time and spent hours and hours poring over the 'Art of Judge Dredd' book with all the production art etc. They had some really really good people working on it, it's just they got the tone wrong, esp Rob Schneider (has he ever made a good film?). Taking his helmet off etc etc

But it gets a thumbs up from me for the ABC warrior (which looks a billion times better than any CGI robot) and Mean Machine -even though he was only in it for about 5 mins.

Fingers crossed this one makes a decent $$ so we can get a more DREDD-FULL sequel (sorry for the pun ;) )
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed the Stallone Dredd too. Tbf it could have done without the comedy sidekick, that's my only real gripe with the film.