Jeremy Clarkson

BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
Forum Member
Real chance I reckon that he is going to be sacked today.

Comments

• ukbadgeukbadge Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    unlikely!
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's the story to which the OP is presumably referring:

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/may/01/jeremy-clarkson-not-use-n-word

And here's the link to the Mirror story, with the video clip in question:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/video-watch-jeremy-clarkson-use-3481201

If one is looking to defend Clarkson (which I'm not) it's not 100% clear exactly what he says, and that particular clip was not actually broadcast.

If he was on a US network he'd be fired by the end of the week (Google Donald Sterling if anyone doubts that), will be interesting to see what happens here.
  • dans_t16sdans_t16s Posts: 763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a total non-story.

It was never broadcast. ...and in anycase it was mumbled so badly that it couldn't be made out clearly, and the only people who would know what the word was supposed to be were those who have used or heard it before.
  • SeventeenSeventeen Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    It's hard to hear clearly but I can't think what else he could be saying.

Is the mumbling of one word going to be the end of BBC's biggest brand and Clarkson's career? I don't think so. No fan of Clarkson's is going to be particularly upset. The BBC may have an awkward time defending it though.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clarkson is too big a money earner for the BBC to be sacked. He has them over a barrel land he knows it
  • Johnny_CashJohnny_Cash Posts: 2,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clarkson can do anything and the BBC wont act, he says the n word, its apparent that he did, he will ride it out as he brings too much revenue.
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My nephew's school use the words 'tigger' or squirrel'. In that clip he could be using either of those. The only people who heard the dreaded n-word are the spittle-flecked 'liberals' who have an unhealthy obsession with it.
    These are people whose mission in life is to constantly search for ways to get Jeremy sacked and to bring their bete noir (TG) to an end.
    You've also got to remember that the Mirror has it in for Clarkson because of his ongoing spat with its ex-editor.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats it?!
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    clarkson can do anything and the BBC wont act, he says the n word, its apparent that he did, he will ride it out as he brings too much revenue.

No he can't.

and it isn't apparent that he did at all. If you weren't brought up in the fifties and sixties you probably wouldn't even know the rhyme.

I suspect the production team wanted to use eeny, meeny miny mo to demonstrate exactly how similar the cars were. There was one shot taken with him going a - a ah ah - a a o while they worled out what word to use.

Not intended for broadcast, didn't use the N word. Typically the Mirror with another anti BBC / Clarkson story.

I hope he sues.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the Mirror reported that it had hired a firm of audio forensic experts to analyse the clip,
    Ye gods .....

Desperate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dans_t16s wrote: »
    It's a total non-story.

It was never broadcast. ...and in anycase it was mumbled so badly that it couldn't be made out clearly, and the only people who would know what the word was supposed to be were those who have used or heard it before.

Such a non-story that it's on the main page of pretty much every UK newspaper's website.

I'm fairly sure none of Andy Gray's sexist remarks were broadcast on Sky Sports, that didn't help him.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »
    My nephew's school use the words 'tigger' or squirrel'. In that clip he could be using either of those.

No. He slurs the word deliberately but it starts with a hard "n". There`s nothing else it can be.

Stupid Clarkson. It`s not The Mirror that`s gone too far......
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Inwas at school in the 80's I am sure we were taght the N word and not Tigger and Squirrel
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    hendero wrote: »
    Such a non-story that it's on the main page of pretty much every UK newspaper's website.

I'm fairly sure none of Andy Gray's sexist remarks were broadcast on Sky Sports, that didn't help him.

The difference being that Andy Gray actually said ithem
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hendero wrote: »

I thought Gray's remarks were actually directed at another presenter.

Clarkson was using a rhyme that those over a certain age were brought up using. I use it myself on occasions!!

PC gone too far again.
  • markmagmarkmag Posts: 3,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    No he can't.

and it isn't apparent that he did at all. If you weren't brought up in the fifties and sixties you probably wouldn't even know the rhyme.

I suspect the production team wanted to use eeny, meeny miny mo to demonstrate exactly how similar the cars were. There was one shot taken with him going a - a ah ah - a a o while they worled out what word to use.

Not intended for broadcast, didn't use the N word. Typically the Mirror with another anti BBC / Clarkson story.

I hope he sues.

I was bought up in the eighties and it was very much a known rhyme in that form around the playground.

The whole thing is ridiculous. I would not support Clarkson if he had used it and I think the word not being used is a very good thing indeed. But even if he had used it (which there is zero evidence of), there is no evidence of malice or racist intent within his use of it, more an indication of rebelling against political correctness.

It should also be noted Clarkson writes for that newspapers rival, The Sun.
    This does put Richard Hammond's contract as a columnist with the Mirror in an interesting place, especially if Clarkson does sue.

On principle I won't go anywhere near the Daily Mail. What's their angle - presumably confused between hating the BBC and hating political correctness?
  • markmagmarkmag Posts: 3,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    No. He slurs the word deliberately but it starts with a hard "n". There`s nothing else it can be.

Stupid Clarkson. It`s not The Mirror that`s gone too far......

Any made up word? Nunnah?
    This whole thing feels as silly as fuss as plebgate..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a generation thing,
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,577
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    I though Gray's remarks were actually directed at another presenter.

Clarkson was using a rhyme that those over a certain age were brought up using. I use it myself on occasions!!

PC gone too far again.

I agree with you.we all said it every day f our childhoods,its just a rhyme, the black kids said it, the white kids said it,no one took offence and no one hated anyone else because of it.

JC would have used it every day as well, it will be ingrained in his mind, he doesnt even say the word, you can hear he goes out of his way to replace it with a mumble along the lines of 'nerner nerner nerner toe '

Is this what passes as news these days?
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    markmag wrote: »
    Any made up word? Nunnah?
    This whole thing feels as silly as fuss as plebgate..

And why would he mumble it if it were a made-up word?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is the nursery rhyme still taght, if schools have to bodge it up
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,577
    Forum Member
    Why is the nursery rhyme still taght, if schools have to bodge it up

My 10 year old knows it as

''Eeny meeny minie moe, you are not it''

No toes, no hollering, no tiggers. its not even a rhyme really anymore.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the whole thing is so innocent and inoffensive I wonder why Top Gear didn't air that particular clip, Clarkson is so quick to deny that he used the word in question, and why it's on the front page of every UK newspaper website. On the back, of course, of him indisputably using a racist expression on an episode a few weeks ago.

And I strongly advise various forum users not to recite what the perceive to be a harmless nursery rhyme next time they are e.g. riding the New York subway.
  • Yo Omars CominYo Omars Comin Posts: 1,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This whole "it's a generation" thing is utter drivel. Racism is racism is racism. I don't care how old you are or how you were brought up, it should never, ever be acceptable.

It's clear to me he uses the N word. Just like he's used other derogatory comments in the past.

The man is nothing more than a cretin. A giant oath who gets his kicks from cars and poking fun at anyone he deems lower than himself.

The BBC won't fire him. But I wish they would.
  • BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No he will not be sacked. If you have to call in language experts to determine what he is saying then clearly it is not obvious that he was being racist. The fact it was not even broadcast means nobody could have been offended by it cause they never heard it.