Options

HO Shock-Why cant more soaps do this?

BaconbaconBaconbacon Posts: 394
Forum Member
Regarding yesterdays stunning ending to the E4 episode where
Lynsey died

And the HO producers managed to keep it completely under wraps-shocking everybody. While I know Digitalspy could be seen as something of a "spoiler" site, the fact that even the spoilers didn't indicate it made it all the more amazing. Why cant more soaps keep big storylines/deaths under wraps? (Dont come on a Spoiler site is not an answer)

Comments

• Options
    McdigestiveMcdigestive Posts: 830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree
  • Options
    NeomysterioNeomysterio Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with you OP.

I must admit that I do read spoilers but watching E4 and being that shocked reminded me of how great it is when a soap can pull something like that off.

Brilliant stuff!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They've done brilliant to keep it a secret. It's probably because Lynsey was my favourite character, but I found it the most shocking soap moment ever. I still feel shocked now:o

Soaps should do this more often.
  • Options
    LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was so shocked! I was just watching it, normal episode...didn't expect much to happen. Nothing much was happening so I was going to go do something else, but then WOW. Devastating, the loss of a brilliant character.
  • Options
    pixxyypixxyy Posts: 1,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree nowdays we seem to always know what's going to happen, so if its just a normal episode we feel its ok to miss it. But big eps are advertised which is why they get more viewers.

I think Soaps should do more surprises, as most spoilers come from the show themselves.

HO have shown it's possible, plus EE did the Heather & Darren reveal, ED Mark Wylde's murder where both had press embargo's on
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was baffled. I had no idea how they were able to keep it secret. I am seriously annoyed, just 2 days ago, I had her down as one of my faves.
  • Options
    all_nightall_night Posts: 7,615
    Forum Member
    I think its due to the fact Hollyoaks is much smaller soap. People, well the press, are more desperate to find out about the top three soaps and spoil them.
  • Options
    priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have to agree it was shocking
    imagine it was one of your all time favourite characters then there just gone without any warning.
    i liked the character,sad she gone
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    This has made me so annoyed, I didn't watch it yesterday and everyone's saying how shocking it was.... and when I read it I was like "Damn why did I read this?" :cry:
  • Options
    unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think I've ever been so shocked by a soap in my life. Sure EE kept Bradley and Danielle's deaths under wraps but both of them were sort of expected, Rae I was convinced wasn't the next Silas victim until about a few hours before on the HO thread when others convinced me but I didn't expect Lynsey to leave for years never mind to die.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    Lyndsey
    was such a great character and it just shows on here ho much people really liked the character and that they will be missed, but i was not expecting that one bit which makes its much more brilliant, sad to see the character go but excited for the upcoming storyline
  • Options
    ray.ray.returnsray.ray.returns Posts: 1,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I came in here to start a thread on the very same thing. Imagine if heathers death had been a secret this place would have went into meltdown, people would actually be talking about it in real life, OMG Heather died last night OMG i was sooooo shocked.

Last time I've been shocked was when Chloe saved Martha then died herself, and when stacey was the killer,
  • Options
    Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It shocked me loads, also made me sad. Losing their best character like that, but at least she went out with a bang. Soooo glad I caught it when it first aired and didn't see any spoilers. No soap could pull it off like HO did.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    completely agree, I had absolutely no idea it was going to happen, at all

very well played oaks, this is why it's the only soap I watch
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,314
    Forum Member
    I remember danielles death in eastenders to be a big shock. i wasnt expecting it and the next day in school everyone was shocked and were talking about throughout the day..even the teachers lol.
  • Options
    priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what about jase EE death
    maybe it was only me, but i was shocked
  • Options
    Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It really was a shock, and had it have been spoilered the is no way it would've had the same impact.

The kept it underwraps really well, but the things is no matter how well they keep things underwraps and go to extraordinary lengths to keep them quiet (as Hollyoaks have done), there will always be people continuously seeking out spoilers, trying to find out what's happening and when. To me, there's no point it in watching something when you virtually know the entire script before you watch it. Some spoilers and hints, I don't mind. But for major spoilers like this. It's best kept underwraps.
  • Options
    madetomeasuremadetomeasure Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Although I haven't watched HO in yonks, surely, from what you're saying, this has to deserve an award for once? I do feel for this show in that it always seems to be overlooked.
  • Options
    Raven123Raven123 Posts: 3,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably because less than a million people watch Hollyoaks, so it's easier to keep under wraps, just a shame the whodunnit has already been leaked :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although I haven't watched HO in yonks, surely, from what you're saying, this has to deserve an award for once? I do feel for this show in that it always seems to be overlooked.

It's not overlooked at all at the moment, it's beyond terrible. They don't deserve to win anything, especially when they have a Producer that clueless.
  • Options
    jude007jude007 Posts: 2,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raven123 wrote: »
    It's not overlooked at all at the moment, it's beyond terrible. They don't deserve to win anything, especially when they have a Producer that clueless.

You know I could name another Producer thats Clueless:eek:
  • Options
    walford-e20walford-e20 Posts: 6,554
    Forum Member
    I was going to make a thread on this too, I wish EE could hold back on major spoilers now and then.
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    I dunno EastEnders manages it very well with it's High Profile. Look at Archies Murder they kept that under wraps despite 10million tuning in every episode and of course with the high profile/hype it helped over 16million tune in.

They also kept the Janine stabbing herself under wraps and of course the Popular Danielle storyline.

Corrie & Emmerdale have also kept their secrets over the last couple of years

Hollyoaks is pretty low profile and it gets under 2million with all the showings added.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jude007 wrote: »
    You know I could name another Producer thats Clueless:eek:

So could I - Phil Collinson.
  • Options
    Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Raven123 wrote: »

I agree it's been beyond awful the last 7 months, but this week has been amazing. That does not excuse all the rubbish we've had to endure in order to get to some decent material (I even turned off, first full week I've seen in ages), but credit where credit's due.