If Parliament screening were on ITV, C4 or Sky would it still be free / broadcasting?

Zeropoint1Zeropoint1 Posts: 10,917
Forum Member
✭✭
If the televising of Parliament had been handed to the ITV network (probably Thames) Channel 4 or Sky instead of the BBC by the Thatcher government. Does anybody think it would still be available today with universal free to air coverage, or would it have been axed years ago due to extremely low ratings / loosing money (certainly no profit)?

Was it ever considered that ITV, Channel 4, BSB or Sky should be allowed to handle such an important event?

Comments

• Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    Nope, it would have ceased to be a worthwhile venture for the commercial broadcasters long ago - if it ever was one - and it would probably be seen as ridiculous if they were expected to look after it in the current climate. And its open availability has become an important factor in our representatives staying (relatively) transparent and open about their democratic business, so it's yet another reason that privatising the BBC would be bad for this country.
  • Zeropoint1Zeropoint1 Posts: 10,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zac Quinn wrote: »
    Nope, it would have ceased to be a worthwhile venture for the commercial broadcasters long ago - if it ever was one - and it would probably be seen as ridiculous if they were expected to look after it in the current climate. And its open availability has become an important factor in our representatives staying (relatively) transparent and open about their democratic business, so it's yet another reason that privatising the BBC would be bad for this country.

I've often wondered if it would be worth the 'prestige' of a loss leading channel in the same way that Sky News looses millions but is a great way to advertise the Sky brand. If the public would have considered Sky Parliament a step up from it's early 'council house' reputation that dogged satellite tv, and to be fair probably didn't really disappear until the mid to late 90's when multi channel tv started to mature.
  • Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    It may not get much in the way of viewing figures but Sky News at least works in the respect it offers up an alternative to BBC News 24 tonally and, arguably, politically. Also, if BBC News 24 is showing a thrilling 60 minute special on the Norweigan stock exchange then viewers can still get their fill of selacious gossip just by flicking to Sky. You wouldn't be adding any such variety by adding another Parliament channel - most of the time BBC Parliament shows nothing but uncut coverage of the Houses of Parliament, there's no spinning involved or indeed possible, so unless 'Sky Parliament' was going to provide something drastically revolutionary - say, coverage of the sessions which constantly dipped and out of the live footage to take in Kay Burley's opinion on whether the MP for Slough not turning up to this week's PMQs means his party is going to suffer a 1% decline in the next general election four years in the future, pretty much the only discernible difference between the channels would be the colour of graphics. Even as a keen politics nerd I cant bring myself to watch BBC Parliament 99% of the time, so there'd be no point having a second channel dedicated to Westminster when there's so little Sky could honestly do to switch it up.

As well, at least Sky News has the potential to get some viewers on certain occasions. IIRC they got upwards of 600k for their coverage of the sieges in the recent Paris attacks. A Sky channel dedicated solely to the Houses of Parliament would be lucky to reach 200 viewers if it were carrying live footage of James Bond holding a gun to John Bercow's head whilst screaming his undying love for Spanish death-metal.
  • Zeropoint1Zeropoint1 Posts: 10,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even as a keen politics nerd I cant bring myself to watch BBC Parliament 99% of the time, so there'd be no point having a second channel dedicated to Westminster when there's so little Sky could honestly do to switch it up.

SNIP and my bold

I don't mean a second channel from Sky or any other broadcaster. I just wondered what would be the potential if the BBC hadn't been awarded the rights. But it does seem quite clear with the current 'no presentation / comment' rules the BBC work under that it would still exist.

How long does the BBC contract last to televise Parliament and could this (God forbid) be handed to a non UK broadcaster, such as Fox / 21st Century Fox! or even somebody like Al Jazera or RT!
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    do any of those channels want a Parliament channel?
  • mightymilliemightymillie Posts: 5,064
    Forum Member
    Zeropoint1 wrote: »
    If the televising of Parliament had been handed to the ITV network (probably Thames) Channel 4 or Sky instead of the BBC by the Thatcher government. Does anybody think it would still be available today with universal free to air coverage, or would it have been axed years ago due to extremely low ratings / loosing money (certainly no profit)?

Was it ever considered that ITV, Channel 4, BSB or Sky should be allowed to handle such an important event?

Before BBC Parliament existed, coverage of both chambers was done by The Parliament Channel, which was owned by the cable companies, and run by Granada.

Indeed Granada continued to run the channel for almost a decade after the BBC bought it, so not only was it considered, but it actually happened.

So for seven years it was run commercially by independents. And it wasn't a lack of profitability that led to the BBC taking over, but a series of mergers in the cable industry which left two big players who acted as rivals rather than working together as the smaller companies had before.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As well, at least Sky News has the potential to get some viewers on certain occasions. IIRC they got upwards of 600k for their coverage of the sieges in the recent Paris attacks. A Sky channel dedicated solely to the Houses of Parliament would be lucky to reach 200 viewers if it were carrying live footage of James Bond holding a gun to John Bercow's head whilst screaming his undying love for Spanish death-metal.

Just thinking of Ms Burley wandering around the chamber during debates, asking MPs stupid questions .......
  • yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before BBC Parliament existed, coverage of both chambers was done by The Parliament Channel, which was owned by the cable companies, and run by Granada.

Indeed Granada continued to run the channel for almost a decade after the BBC bought it, so not only was it considered, but it actually happened.

So for seven years it was run commercially by independents. And it wasn't a lack of profitability that led to the BBC taking over, but a series of mergers in the cable industry which left two big players who acted as rivals rather than working together as the smaller companies had before.

This from Wikipedia:
    Before being taken over by the BBC, the channel was known as The Parliamentary Channel, at first operated by United Artists Cable
    and funded by a consortium of British cable operators. The Parliamentary Channel launched as a cable-exclusive channel in 1992. The channel was purchased by the BBC in 1998, retitled 'BBC Parliament', and relaunched under the new name on 23 September 1998. It now broadcasts on cable, satellite, and Freeview.

The channel ran as an audio service via DAB from launch until 14 November 2000.
    Due to capacity limitations on the digital terrestrial television platform, now known as Freeview, from launch until 30 October 2002, the channel ran as "audio only". Then on Freeview from October 2002 until 13 November 2006 the channel was only able to broadcast a quarter-screen picture. After receiving "thousands of angry and perplexed emails and letters",[4] not to mention questions asked by MPs in the House itself, the BBC eventually found the bandwidth to make the channel full-screen.

Until 2008, BBC Parliament was unique amongst the BBC channels in being broadcast using non-BBC facilities - with ITV's Millbank Studios, based in Westminster, supplying the engineering and playout facilities

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Parliament
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zeropoint1 wrote: »
    SNIP and my bold

I don't mean a second channel from Sky or any other broadcaster. I just wondered what would be the potential if the BBC hadn't been awarded the rights. But it does seem quite clear with the current 'no presentation / comment' rules the BBC work under that it would still exist.

How long does the BBC contract last to televise Parliament and could this (God forbid) be handed to a non UK broadcaster, such as Fox / 21st Century Fox! or even somebody like Al Jazera or RT!

AFAIK the BBC do not have exclusive rights for Parliamentary coverage, Sky News show PMQ's every week and ITV show the budget. The other broadcasters could show it if they wanted, they just don't bother.
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    AFAIK the BBC do not have exclusive rights for Parliamentary coverage, Sky News show PMQ's every week and ITV show the budget. The other broadcasters could show it if they wanted, they just don't bother.

That is correct, the footage is produced by a company contracted by Parliament and made available to any broadcaster which wants it.
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect that if it wasn't for the BBC, it would be funded from central government as it's a valuable resource which can't now be taken away. It doesn't really cost much in TV terms. Presumably a contract would be awarded for the actual production and delivery of the service.

Happily, as we have a strong public service broadcaster which is more than capable of providing the service and happy to do so, there is no need to go down an alternative path.
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As others have pointed out ... PARBUL covers the proceedings and offers the output to ALL broadcasters basically free of charge but with lots of conditions as to its use.

The BBC carries this ... And this took over from the proceedings being carried by the (commercial) cable companies ..
    The BBC wrap the output with their own graphics and make a channel with additional programming ,
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It always amazes me how little publicity the BBC give this channel.

They rarely say you can see xxxxxx on the BBC Parliament channel. I wonder if they will publicise the reshowing of the coverage of Winston Churchill's funeral anywhere as I'm sure a good number of people would be interested.