COULD The BBC or ITV snap up Neighbours from channel 5?

ToadieTheLawmanToadieTheLawman Posts: 3,366
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I think the contract for Neighbours would be up sometime soon after nearly 8 years on channel 5. The BBC are struggling in its daytime slots.

Comments

• stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the contract for Neighbours would be up sometime soon after nearly 8 years on channel 5. The BBC are struggling in its daytime slots.

No there not.
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here is some bbc 1 daytime ratings

Father Brown - 1.39
    The Link - 1.04
    Escape to the Country - 1.91

Antiques Road trip and Pointless also do well usually winning there slots
  • epsomepsom Posts: 4,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neighbours was originally non BBC TV!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't say it was hot property for either channel, to be honest.
  • A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The BBC wins daytime. No need to take it back.
  • yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The heyday for Neighbours and Home and Away, is now a distant memory, I doubt any other UK channel wants them, my prediction both stay at Channel 5 at a reduced fee.
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think the BBC will want to bring it back. As said the BBC seem to be doing ok in the ratings between 3pm and 6pm.
    I have not watched the show much in nearly 4 years and I used to watch it nearly every day.
    As with Home and Away I have not watched much of that in well over 4 years and I also used to watch that almost every day.
    I think both some have been going down in the ratings a little over in Australia but not enough for the shows to be axed.
    Both shows still seem to be doing ok in the ratings for channel 5 but maybe they could do better.
    I cant see ITV wanting Neighbours for there channel as ITV have been cutting back on shows from Australia over the years.

Darren
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not sure about the exact ratings but I did a conversation during the last summer when I went to Brazil with an Australian who I made friends with. He asked how popular it was here in the UK and I said that my impression is that it is not as popular on Channel 5 as it was on BBC. He said there is speculation that the show may end as the budget has been reduced to producing the show.
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    BBC won't want it back. When they lost the rights they were paying £25,000 per episode, Five's bid was £140,000 per ep.

With purse strings tightening at the Beeb there's no way they'd have it back. Five's a good place for it.
  • James68James68 Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    Like sands through the hourglass - so are the Days of our Lives
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,404
    Forum Member
    When Neighbours was moved to Channel 5, the production company that made Neighbours was also owned by the owners of Channel 5.

Since that time Channel 5 has changed hands twice.

What was probably a cosy arrangement for moving money around globally by a multinational broadcaster, (allegedly) has now ended up with a channel paying over the odds for a show that is in terminal decline.

I cannot see Viacom wanting to carry on paying over £140K per episode, when they can throw something on from their vaults for next to nothing.

Clearly the BBC would have been miffed at losing Neighbours at the time - but putting Weakest Link and now Pointless in its place, has probably made them a good chunk of money, as the format for both shows has been sold around the World.
  • Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    Apart from Nordic dramas does the BBC actually 'import' much programming these days? A couple of decades ago they seemed to have a lot of American shows.
  • James68James68 Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    BBC commissions daytime fare that would look good on any Sky/satellite/cable Channel - it is GREAT - and the Nation loves it.
    BBC1 is the greatest one of them all
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the BBC has moved on, and as has been mentioned unless the cost comes down dramatically the BBC does not need to be spending money on it, not when its daytime line up is already strong.

Not sure how Viacom feel about the show, certainly they wont be taking it across Viacom channels world wide, but if it brings in good ratings for Channel 5, they wont ditch it. I dont think you can compare an on going soap opera with something from the vaults.

Cost of course would be an issue if the show as to come on the open market, but I wonder if Neighbours can survive another budget cuts, its on performance related pay on ELEVEN, and its not preforming that strongly, loosing the UK money wont be good for the show.
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think the show will last another 5 or 6 years in Australia but I could be wrong.
    Ratings for the show both in Australia and over here have gone down a little over the years.

Darren
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    I am not sure about the exact ratings but I did a conversation during the last summer when I went to Brazil with an Australian who I made friends with. He asked how popular it was here in the UK and I said that my impression is that it is not as popular on Channel 5 as it was on BBC. He said there is speculation that the show may end as the budget has been reduced to producing the show.

Currently Neighbours peaks at 1m according to BARB

http://www.barb.co.uk/whats-new/weekly-top-30?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Currently Neighbours peaks at 1m according to BARB

http://www.barb.co.uk/whats-new/weekly-top-30?
    196,000 last night on ELEVEN

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2015/02/thursday-12-february-2015.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »

I had not realised how badly it was doing in Australia, but having on Eleven is the equivalent of Five putting it out on Fiver. Viacom could commission its own soap considering they pay a large part of the budget for neighbours, and have a programme they might be able to show on their other channels.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorksdave wrote: »
    I had not realised how badly it was doing in Australia, but having on Eleven is the equivalent of Five putting it out on Fiver. Viacom could commission its own soap considering they pay a large part of the budget for neighbours, and have a programme they might be able to show on their other channels.
    I am not sure new soaps are viable, TV ratings are falling, auidences are increasing fregmented across platforms, making them ever harder to count, im not sure its going to be possible to build that strong, loyal auidence a soap needs to survive in the long run anymore.

Recent examples inculde ITV relaunching Crossroads twice, and quirky but watched by only a dozen people Night and Day. I think the only way Doctors got away with it was due to the fact they launched in blocks of episodes at first, and then went year round. (expect Christmas).

Meanwhile where does this new soap go, 7pm - 9pm is awash with soaps, The One Show does not help you.

Broadcasters are welcome to try of course, but im not sure they will be succesful.
  • jonparadisejonparadise Posts: 6,052
    Forum Member
    It's been doing very badly so far this year in Australia, ratings across the board are down but even on Eleven the show was getting 350,000 a couple of years ago, peaking at 405,00 for one episode.

If a UK soap had lost 50% of it's audience in 18 months, there would be hell to pay!

Unfortunately, despite the show being better than it has for a few years, it's had pretty big budget cuts which affects the quality of the entire thing.

Of course the most important thing is the writing and story lining, which for me is pretty terrible. There are only so many teen love triangles I can take.

Unless it was outperforming expectations on Five, I doubt any other network is gong to want it. Unless they're intending to invest in it as a brand and try and bring it back to life.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member

I'm sure that thought has crossed their mind. Sadly i feel the end of the road is near for Neighbours. No way it lasts more than say, another 5 to 7 years.
  • seiko456seiko456 Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to ask what are the current HOT Ozzy soaps?
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,279
    Forum Member
    That's not true. They are topping ITV,Ch4 and FIVE
    Winning slots for much of the afternoon too.
    stv viewer wrote: »
    Here is some bbc 1 daytime ratings

Father Brown - 1.39
    The Link - 1.04
    Escape to the Country - 1.91

Antiques Road trip and Pointless also do well usually winning there slots
    Doctors too gets 1.5-1.7m+ Wednesday episode was just shy of 1.8m
    20-30% Share is higher than a lot of Primetime shows on BBC1 and ITV.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    I am not sure new soaps are viable, TV ratings are falling, auidences are increasing fregmented across platforms, making them ever harder to count, im not sure its going to be possible to build that strong, loyal auidence a soap needs to survive in the long run anymore.

Recent examples inculde ITV relaunching Crossroads twice, and quirky but watched by only a dozen people Night and Day. I think the only way Doctors got away with it was due to the fact they launched in blocks of episodes at first, and then went year round. (expect Christmas).

Meanwhile where does this new soap go, 7pm - 9pm is awash with soaps, The One Show does not help you.

Broadcasters are welcome to try of course, but im not sure they will be succesful.
    I was merely pointing out that Viacom/Channel 5 were pouring a lot of money into what seems to be a failing Australian soap and that possibly starting a new soap using that money might be a better option, agreed we are awash with Soaps already, and its debateable if there is room for one more but 1 million viewers are watching Neighbours so it would seem there is room in a teatime slot for one (well two they show Home And Away also, which never really recovered ratings after the year Hiatus that was forced on it by itv enforcing a clause in its contract)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's been doing very badly so far this year in Australia, ratings across the board are down but even on Eleven the show was getting 350,000 a couple of years ago, peaking at 405,00 for one episode.

If a UK soap had lost 50% of it's audience in 18 months, there would be hell to pay!
    considering it airs on the 2nd channel, (ITV 2 to TENs, ITV 1) that 400,000 is a respectable rating, Recent ratings on the other hand not so much.
    I was merely pointing out that Viacom/Channel 5 were pouring a lot of money into what seems to be a failing Australian soap and that possibly starting a new soap using that money might be a better option, agreed we are awash with Soaps already, and its debateable if there is room for one more but 1 million viewers are watching Neighbours so it would seem there is room in a teatime slot for one (well two they show Home And Away also, which never really recovered ratings after the year Hiatus that was forced on it by itv enforcing a clause in its contract)
    fair enough to point it out, I just dont think the new soap will do any better than Neighbours is currently doing, say what you want about decreasing ratings, Neighbours has ratings to decrease, same can not be said for any new soap. I also dont disagree that Viacom may well thinking they are paying too much.