Options

Samsung Smart TV Service Down?

Is anyone having issues with there samsung smart tv tonight
Mine is connected to the network but it keeps saying it is unable to connect to the internet, even tho it has an ip address and is all set up correctly?

i have also tested it tethered to my my phone and i get the same error so im sure there must be something wrong with samsung servers?

any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was delighted to read your post because I am having the same trouble. All the other devices have the internet (PC, laptop and tablet) but the Smart hub is saying the same. I wish I had read your post before contacting Samsung.

Fingers crossed that it will be sorted sooner rather than later.

We are on PlusNet fibre which seems reliable.
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    Reportedly, a fire at Samsung backup data center has caused the smart hub do go down. This is unofficial information. Also, some older Samsung tv models (C6530) are not affected by this.

Third party apps like Lmod player are working fine. Only the apps hosted on Samsung servers are not working, although some people reported that ITV player and 5OD apps are working.
  • Options
    MooWow!MooWow! Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    thanks for that info i was worried it was my tv lol

mine will let me open plex that works fine but any on demand ap it just keep saying no internet connection
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mine deleted almost all the apps from Smart Hub. Probably because I used Smart DNS. Still no connection this morning. This is the longest outage I remember. Hopefully, it will go back to normal during the day. They should have alternative servers, so when something like this happens, users can seamlessly continue using the service.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine deleted all the apps as well. However, I got them back by a different method. I went onto Search and typed in a short name of one of the programmes I have on Netflix (Fringe) and various files came up, after which I returned to the previous screen and all the apps had come back!

What is annoying is that I (and presumably all of you) am paying for Netflix and Amazon Prime and we aren't getting our money's worth!

Hope it is back for Friday when the new House of Cards comes to Netflix.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I found this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that. It really is unacceptable that Samsung have not put an error message on the screens.
  • Options
    JJ28JJ28 Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really annoyed about this. They denied there was a problem for ages so I assumed there was a fault my end. Have spent ages resetting, rebooting etc. only to find out it was their fault all along!>:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gill P wrote: »
    Thanks for that. It really is unacceptable that Samsung have not put an error message on the screens.

Samsung is in denial about the whole thing, which is odd and it shows that this is not just a glitch. Seem to me it could be a cyber attack, especially now when we know that Sony Bravia users are experiencing the same issue. Bit too much of a coincidence imo. I switched my tv on now, and it looks like it's slowly getting back to normal. I was able to log in and run some apps. Smart hub prompted me to update it, which I did, and that went well. It installed catch up players and Netflix back as it used to be. I still can't run all the apps, and I can't download any apps. Apps that are working besides Lmod are ITV player, 5OD and Netflix.
  • Options
    Manc-RedManc-Red Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've my Smart Tv 3 years now and this is about the third time this has happened.

The weird thing is that Samsung always deny any downtime is "down" to them lol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can get ITV Player, 5od but not Netflix or anything else!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can get ITV Player, 5od but not Netflix or anything else!

Plex working well too
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry but what is plex?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry but what is plex?

It's an app that lets you log into a server to view movies, songs & even live iptv.

It can be within your own network or from an outside server.

Connection is made via user name/pin.
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    The platform seems extremely flawed. There are a number of 3rd party apps that I have installed that in theory should work, but because the core Samsung part is offline nothing works. I guess its a subtle reminder that the manufacturer can flick the switch whenever they want and suddenly the device suddenly becomes a lot less smart.
  • Options
    PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My TV randomly deleted all of my apps yesterday. Then I kept getting messages about having no network connection despite that fact that the network information on the TV insisted that it was connected to the net. Anyway I ran a restore to factory settings and everything is back to normal now, although I haven't run any firmware updates on it thus far as I'm fearful that it may once again decide that all of my apps have expired and delete them.
  • Options
    johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We need a hack that would allow people to have smart hub and apps saved locally onto a thumb drive. That way we would always have access to installed apps regardless of the status of the remote cloud server. It's a similar thing with Nintendo WII platform. One can save apps onto a SD card and run from there whenever needed. Samsung apps are in the .ipk format, so it would not be an issue to store apps locally, as long as the tv "knows" the path where to look for apps. Simple hack and it would be very useful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you going to produce one and make your fortune then, Davor?

Just had a look at my emails and found this:
    Thank you for your email.

Please accept my apologies for your experience regarding this issue and for the inconvenience that this has caused you.

I would like to confirm that Samsung is aware of this issue and our engineers are working on sorting this out as soon as possible.

Your patience and understanding are highly appreciated.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Everything is back to normal this morning.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, just tried it out and it is all OK! Hooray!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I can't link my accounts to twitter and facebook. "Unable to connect to the server. Please try again later". It's all ok on other devices though. Anyone else?
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    El Reg reports this: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/02/26/samsung_sony_tv_outage/ along with suggested fixes if you know your way around your DNS. I gather it's fixed now tho. :)

I like this comment:
    ...a TV seemingly so badly made that to watch YouTube, the TV has to know that it can reach an ip address that has nothing to do with YouTube.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our Samsung Galaxy tablet worked fine during that outage! I could get Netflix, YouTube etc.