Options

EE: Felt sorry for Abi..for 5 seconds

Bingo_Bingo_ Posts: 1,077
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Not what I wanted to talk about mainly but her goodbye to Lauren seemed so cold and distant as if Lauren was telling he she'd be going to away for a week or two. Maybe the two don't get on off-set. It seemed to lack any of the emotion I was expected, unless it was just poorly acted.

But mainly the scene with Ben. I felt sorry for her briefly, thinking she'd think she' been used by someone as a beard to prevent him from coming to terms with who he really is. Then it took his and an said "it's fine"

Even I, who dislikes the character thought 'aww that's really mature....'

Then she blew it :D

It's a shame because when it eventually comes to the big blow-out of the storyline they'll be tears but it's very difficult not to think Abi brought it all on herself. Indeed you could argue she's a malicious influence on Ben now, for encouraging him to suppress his feelings.

Only Abi could take a stoyline where girl is (inevitably in the future #nokiddingspoileralert) heart broken by her boyfriend turning out to like other men and do it in a way that doesn't make me feel sorry for her at all

Comments

• Options
    danyelldanyell Posts: 10,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I've noticed the lack of relationship between Lauren and Abi which I find sad. Abi seemed closer to Lauren in the early days when Maddie Duggan played Lauren. So maybe Lorna and Jacqueline don't get on. Lorna wasn't that gushy about Jacqueline on This Morning when Sharon Marshall mentioned that she just had a baby. But then neither was Jake. Both Jake and Lorna seemed a bit miserable that day to me though! Lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I prefered it when Abi was a nice person :(
  • Options
    NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope she remains a generally nice person, but I do like how she is taking no crap from people. Smacking Lucy, almost drowning Lauren...those occasional outbursts are interesting. Don't make her an all-out bitch like Janine but keep this assertive side to her.

If Alexa Smith and those chavy girls tried to start on her this time, who knows what she'd do to them:o
  • Options
    srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    I do feel pretty sad for Abi even though she's being very silly and deluding herself. I think she's just desperate for attention, approval and affection after Lauren being the centre of everything for so long. She wants something (ie a relationship) that's just hers, and since Jay became more and more distant with her and then dumped her altogether she's latched onto Ben so quickly pretty much because he was there. She probably knows full well deep down that he's gay but is ignoring it because it's convenient. She claims to love Ben but I think it's quite clear she's just infatuated.
    Somewhat ironically Ben seems to have done the same thing; latched onto the first willing person both to act as a beard and for sympathy/support. They're both behaving badly and unfairly to each other but both manage to evoke my sympathy. It's weird, Ben is really horrid in numerous ways but there's just something about the character that makes me feel sorry for him.

Re Lauren, there's something very sad about hers and Abi's relationship. In some ways they get on and can be close sometimes but there's also a lot of envy and resentment, they're never really there to support each other. Many times Abi's been concerned about Lauren and tried to help her but in the end her jealousy, bitterness and feelings of being pushed aside get in the way and she ends up angry and pushing Lauren away.
  • Options
    Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Abi has become bitter because of her jealousy of Lauren. Abi was the "good child" but Lauren got all the attention - and usually because she had done something wrong like drinking or having affairs with married men.

Her break up with Jay was devastating and he was unusually cruel to her, I thought.

So, she needs someone to love and in her mind that is now Ben. I usually dislike Ben intensely but I admired his effort to be honest with her. But of course she is in denial and now she is helping him stay in denial too.

She is one mixed up girl and I do feel sorry for her but she has become hard and unlikeable in many ways. For all Lauren's faults and mess ups, she is the more likeable of the two. She has genuine feelings for Abi whereas Abi's feelings for her are tainted by her jealousy and resentment of Lauren.

What really put me off her was her warped reaction to killing her dog!!
  • Options
    xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,274
    Forum Member
    I like Abi being a bitch. :D
  • Options
    EvilredzebraEvilredzebra Posts: 16,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm loving Abi at the moment - she's become a really interesting character. She was always the little girl and as Lauren was always the main focus for her parents (Max in particular I think), she is now desperate for somebody to love her. Sadly she has latched onto Ben who is not remotely bisexual if you ask me. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out as I think the actors involved are a lot more competent than this forum credits.
  • Options
    NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will we see the arrival of Marge III this year?
  • Options
    lewismacflewismacf Posts: 14,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have always liked Abi
  • Options
    Bingo_Bingo_ Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xTonix wrote: »
    I like Abi being a bitch. :D

But she doesn't come off as a bitch like Janine, for example. She just comes across as someone emotionally stunted who doesn't understand real 'big-girl' emotions. She's permanently stuck as a 13 year old who throws strops and snorts under her breath.

If she was 'a bitch' character then she might be fun to watch but she just seems emotionally stunted as if they're doing what Eastendes always does and freezes someone's personality at childhood.

An Abi who was a out-for-herself, conniving, sly young woman COULD be an interesting character. But what we have is an Abi who's 18/19 and doesn't seem to understand how the world works and doesn't seem to have any empathy with anything whatsoever.
  • Options
    johnboybetterjohnboybetter Posts: 1,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    danyell wrote: »
    Yes I've noticed the lack of relationship between Lauren and Abi which I find sad. Abi seemed closer to Lauren in the early days when Maddie Duggan played Lauren. So maybe Lorna and Jacqueline don't get on. Lorna wasn't that gushy about Jacqueline on This Morning when Sharon Marshall mentioned that she just had a baby. But then neither was Jake. Both Jake and Lorna seemed a bit miserable that day to me though! Lol

There might be some truth in that, Jac posted that meme of Abi saying she battered Lucy and then having a pic of Abi doing that funny pose!

https://instagram.com/jacjossa/
  • Options
    Heathyheath_Heathyheath_ Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I felt really sorry for Abi when she said that she loved Ben and would be willing to work through his feelings for men because it just felt so desperate. If somebody is gay then they're gay and there's nothing that can be done about it

I didn't mind the scene between her and Lauren though at the end. Abi has been a nasty, jealous person in the last few months and it was almost like she begrudged Lauren her happiness and getting to go away off to a new life with Peter. Unless I misjudged what we were meant to feel from the scene which to be honest is a possibility
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved her flounce out of the house last night when nobody even cared about her moving out! :D
  • Options
    WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel like she should be helping Ben accept who he is, not helping him suppress who he is. Ben needs to stop using his supposed best friend as a beard too. They're both terrible friends atm.
    Creamtea wrote: »
    I loved her flounce out of the house last night when nobody even cared about her moving out! :D

:D

She's the Meg Griffin of the Branning family.
  • Options
    Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's totally understandable how Abi has turned out the way she has. Max and Tanya completely failed her as parents with their blatant favouritism towards Lauren. Abi was a good child, she behaved herself and did well at school yet was constantly neglected and overlooked by her parents as they lavished all their attention on Lauren who was a complete delinquent. It's no suprise Abi has grew up bitter and resentful and has low self esteem.
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whedonite wrote: »
    I feel like she should be helping Ben accept who he is, not helping him suppress who he is. Ben needs to stop using his supposed best friend as a beard too. They're both terrible friends atm.

:D

She's the Meg Griffin of the Branning family.

Have you seen the Brady Bunch Movie? She reminds me of Jan. haha.
  • Options
    WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Creamtea wrote: »
    Have you seen the Brady Bunch Movie? She reminds me of Jan. haha.

Only about 73 times :D

I hope she doesn't start hearing voices or wearing a huge afro.
  • Options
    ALowsleyALowsley Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Abi but she should know that she can't cure Ben. Oh well I'm liking dark Abi at the moment.
  • Options
    MajorkeyMajorkey Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    Lorna Fitzgerald's acting is vastly superior to most of her castmates (with the notable exception of Jake Wood). The contrast in her scenes is quite noticeable. She is so expressive with her eyes, using them to convey the conflict intended by the writers, and her 'reaction shots' are unmatched - which is lucky because she's asked to do a lot of them! Many people have noticed her weight loss and I believe it's giving her a boost of confidence that is reflected in her performances of late.

Jac Jossa/Lauren just hasn't been as interesting since the character's sobriety began, even with her Peter romance and the Lucy plot. Bad luck for all concerned that she was so close to delivering her baby when the 30th anniversary geared up....she was clearly distracted with or without the hopeless attempts to hide her pregnancy.

Now that both are past the 'squabbling teenagers' age one might think there would be a warmer bond between them. It's too bad the writers didn't develop this more (a la Roxy & Ronnie) instead of relying on sister A to be the foil for sister B and vice versa.