Options

Head transplants possible in 2017

Comments

• Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    The science-fiction writer Larry Niven dealt with issues like this years ago.

In his created universe there were such people as "organleggers" who snatched people off the street to be used as raw material for medical procedures.

The reason this might apply now is the recipient of the body would obviously wish to have a healthy young donor, not one full of disease or one maimed in an accident.

Who knows, in 30 years maybe medical science could do the job. You can imagine that certain people with huge wealth and a limited sense of ethics would be willing to murder a person for their youth.
    It's reminded me of The Body Snatchers by RL Stevenson.
    and .....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt56RMbpq_0 :D
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This raises about a million questions, it's making my head hurt (no pun intended)

It's also making me feel a bit sick for some reason
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    I want Kylie's bod so I could spend all day in front of the mirror playing with it.
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    How are they making nerve fibres join in the spine to make the person walk and talk, when they can't even get them to join in current spinal injury patients?

Or basically: If they have solved that, where no one else has been able, why are they not curing all paralysed people first, before moving on to major things like whole head transplants?

On a lighter note: So they will be able to transplant my entire head, but still can't cure my hair loss?

Also: if they can tackle the nerve joining issue, why not just transplant my whole brain into that of a sexy 19 year old lad and cure all my problems in one go?! Hey! I could even turn myself on! :D
  • Options
    St. AnthonySt. Anthony Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I might finally get into a Basketball team.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Also about the same age more or less same gender and race.

It would make a transgendered operation a lot more complete: They could have their head or brain transplanted into/onto the gendered body that they feel they are.

Male to female ones could then have babies and generate no end of threads on DS. :D
  • Options
    shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any volunteers for trials? I think I'll pass...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Whilst few and far between, it would be fully OK if the younger person did die of problems in the head area only and had consented to donating of whole body.

Also, it doesn't have to be some 18 year old person, it could be the body of someone in their early 40s who was otherwise healthy. That would still give the recipient another 30+ years.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the person has cancer isn't it possible that the new body will contract it also as well
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those poor monkeys.
  • Options
    Will_BeeWill_Bee Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those poor monkeys.
    Maybe the monkeys had cancer and they tried to save them by giving them the body of a monkey killed in an accident.
  • Options
    Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can the brain survive the op ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hank1234 wrote: »
    How can the brain survive the op ?

Technically... most organs only need oxygenated blood to survive so supply it with that and it keeps going. (It would have a general anaesthetic any way so should be unconscious at the time.)

Strange therefore that they are talking about head transplants and yet can't even make a simple pump that can supply oxygenated blood around the body without getting rejected. If they could do that, they could just keep people heads alive in jars. (Futurama Stylee)
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Wonder if brain trasplants will be the next stage when they do make this work?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    At least it will make Jihadi John impotent.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could grow spare bodies from stem cells so there's no chance of rejection and the head falling off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Sounds quite horrific.
  • Options
    WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The two spinal cords would be fused using chemical polyethylene glycol.

Sorted! :D

Seriously, doesn't anybody who works in science/medical journalism have a clue about science or medicine?! It's like having theatre and cinema reviews written by people who never watch anything, or a political correspondent who knows sweet Fanny Adams about politics.
  • Options
    trayhop123trayhop123 Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will_Bee wrote: »
    Maybe the monkeys had cancer and they tried to save them by giving them the body of a monkey killed in an accident.

ahh , the old masturbating in a tree fall chestnut :)
  • Options
    Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose it would to mentally accept then a face transplant
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This raises about a million questions, it's making my head hurt (no pun intended)

It's also making me feel a bit sick for some reason

Yeah and mine. I was thinking about simple stuff like going to the toilet - it wouldn't be my backside I was wiping, it would be someone elses! But the hand doing the wiping would be theirs too! It's all too weird for me.
  • Options
    IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    The wife has said while she'd still love "me" (as in who I am personality wise etc), she wouldn't be able to be intimate with new bod because she'd feel like she was being physical with someone else. She said I have little 'cute bits' on my body that she likes and they'd be gone and it just wouldn't be the same.

I don't know whether I'd feel the same as her because for me it would be a case of finding new 'cute bits' I like, but it would also be freaky because I'd feel like I was cheating on her with herself. Even if she looked identical, I doubt she'd smell (or even taste) the same so it would probably be like they transferred her personality into someone else.
  • Options
    IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    Yeah and mine. I was thinking about simple stuff like going to the toilet - it wouldn't be my backside I was wiping, it would be someone elses! But the hand doing the wiping would be theirs too! It's all too weird for me.
    Ha ha! :D That's just cracked me up :D

Actually, if you decided to play with yourself would it make you bisexual? You'd be wanking someone else off and they'd be wanking you off! :confused:
  • Options
    WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member
    Will_Bee wrote: »
    Italian surgeon claiming head / body transplants ready to be started in 2 years.

He says after operation people could be walking and talking within a year.

http://news.sky.com/story/1434435/surgeon-plans-first-human-head-transplant

It has been done before with monkeys and the monkey with new head lived 9 days.

Volunteers will be needed to donate healthy bodies after death, and people with advanced terminal cancer could receive the new body.

Would anyone with terminal cancer have a go at this extreme surgery to try to save their life?

In 2 years! Bollocks!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You could grow spare bodies from stem cells so there's no chance of rejection and the head falling off.

Who wants the same body! :o

Mine needed a major over-haul and upgrade at about 16 and went downhill from then!

:D