Options

What has happen to Matt Spokes on 974 Rock FM

elcraigelcraig Posts: 97
Forum Member
No Matt Spokes on Rock FM for nearly 5 weeks. I think he went on holiday for 2 weeks before the first May bank holiday as his wife Chelsea wasn't on Key 103 breakfast. Returned to Rock on bank holiday Monday afternoon. Then it was James Everton for the next three days and on the Friday Antony Collins (ex TFM). Last week was Jason King (ex Key 103) now this week it's Antony Collins again. Rock FM going through some cover presenters.

Comments

• Options
    dzfootballdzfootball Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know about Matt but Rock FM breakfast how to describe it

Tin-pot, the two guys they have on just ramble on trying to create banter which isn't funny. I agve it a good hour before I switched it off (annoying guys)

Working over in the area be interested to know what local listeneres think of the show?
  • Options
    michael1152michael1152 Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According the the info on bauer's website it is the leading station across the whole of Lancashire.

Rock FM is Lancashire's Hit Music Station broadcasting across its five key towns of Preston, Blackburn, Blackpool, Wigan and Southport. Sony Award nominees Hywel Evans & Jamie Atherton, wake up Lancashire every morning with Hywel & Jamie's Breakfast Adventure which launched in September 2011, with Paul Webster and Graeme Smith delivering the weekday output for the station. Rock FM is the most listened commercial radio station across Lancashire providing its listeners with contemporary hit music, fun, entertainment, and social ammunition along with credible and authoritative news and local information.
  • Options
    NewbieBen12NewbieBen12 Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    Matt moved to Rock FM last June, maybe his 1-year contract was not extended and he left?

He is not listed for his weekly Key 103 show either.
  • Options
    19741974 Posts: 908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rock FM is a once decent station that's been badly neglected over recent years. From 7pm to 6am it carries Key 103's weekday output, and also shares sizeable quota's of its weekend output, making it essentially the Key 103 reserves team. The latest Rajar figures said that its audience share had dropped to 6.2% from 7.5% in the last quarter, having stood at 11.1% three years ago. The unexplained disappearance of its current drivetime dj and prior this its fast turnover of incumbents of the drivetime show won't have helped retain listeners.
  • Options
    6262 Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    Let's face it, given the chance, Bauer would broadcast 'the new Rock FM' from Castlefield in a heartbeat, TFM/Metro-styley! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    kateabkateab Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    I've been wondering about this. I thought that the first time Ant was on, he said that Matt was ill but I could have imagined it. I shall pay more attention next time I listen but I think he's stopped mentioning that he's in for Matt.

I don't mind Hywel and Jamie in small doses, they are better than Graeme Smith was at breakfast. I much prefer Webbo who's on from 10 to 2.

And yes, it is better than other local options although it does get fixated with certain songs. At the moment, it's Daft Punk. On every time I turn the radio on in the car.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Matt Spokes is back on today - I've just seen him post on Facebook saying how much he's missed it.

kateab
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    kateab wrote: »
    Matt Spokes is back on today - I've just seen him post on Facebook saying how much he's missed it.

kateab

Any word on where he has been?
  • Options
    BassthoundBassthound Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At risk of dragging up a old thread... his.. well now ex-Mrs has stated on Key 103 yesterday they were getting divorced so I suspect back in May/June there was domestic stuff going on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'd missed this so thanks for that.

Matt Spokes has disappeared again from the afternoon slot recently and now Jordan North has said he's moving to the Drive slot next week.

Such a shame. He seems to be doing Sunday mornings on Key 103. I may have to start listening to that for Drive as I definitely prefer Adam Catterall to Jordan.

kateab
  • Options
    dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jordan North was talking about his new job on 5Live’s Daily Bacon podcast (he’s been a researcher/producer on the show) and said that Matt Spokes is taking a six month sabbatical from radio to do some travelling.