Options

Strangest trolls you've encountered online

Comments

• Options
    chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Random42 wrote: »
    Oh yes ! That was the name. Thank you, Joni. I have to ask, was that person a WUM or not ?
    Sorry but whats a WUM?
  • Options
    Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    andersonsonson
  • Options
    Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The ones who talk to themselves amuse me.

Sock puppets genuinely fascinate me, I'm a little bit in awe tbh :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chopsim wrote: »
    Sorry but whats a WUM?

A Wind Up Merchant, someone who intentionally posts anatagonistic and provocative musings just to annoy others.
  • Options
    Philip DaltonPhilip Dalton Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    Aneechik wrote: »
    There was a poster on here ages ago who kept re-registering and starting threads asking women if they'd ever wet themselves.

That knowledge was obviously vital to him as far as he was concerned.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh right, thanks.
  • Options
    AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kaycee Nicole Swenson, Dave on wheels, Rebecca Beushausen, Emma Bowyer plus numerous posters who infiltrate bereavement/neonatal death/cancer forums. Harmless banter? Hardly.
  • Options
    AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joni M wrote: »
    Why? It's not clever or funny.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just can't understand why people do that. What do they get out of it? Do they sit back and think "oh people are talking about something i started"?
  • Options
    Random42Random42 Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only in the sense that he would create personas for himself as a sense of escapism. I've always had a really soft spot for him.

I don't think his intention was annoy, he was just tenacious with his 'characters'.

He never annoyed me either. It was the whole depth of how he went into it that concerned me at the time. The thread went on for pages and pages as I recall. By the end of it I was thinking maybe he should seek some help.

If it was purely escapism then he did a good job. It kept me reading post after post after post.

Glad to know the back round story that started it was all fictitious.
  • Options
    chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    That knowledge was obviously vital to him as far as he was concerned.

Yes there are some people that would be better suited to a fetish website or a prison cell, butinstead start threads on discussion forums under the guise of "making conversation"

I
  • Options
    annie24601annie24601 Posts: 3,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I miss Moila :( Yappy was good as well, and Lostpigeon
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AnitaS wrote: »

It's just so off the wall as to intrigue me, :o I've seen it done really well with seemingly completely different personalities and would never have believed they were the same person.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AnitaS wrote: »

Oh but it can be very clever and funny if done in the right way.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    xp95 wrote: »
    Is the thread or post they made still available? :D

Sadly not. It was hilarious
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes there are some people that would be better suited to a fetish website or a prison cell, butinstead start threads on discussion forums under the guise of "making conversation"

I

If you started a thread on here asking users how they felt about being tickled that would be misconstrued as being a fetish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you started a thread on here asking users how they felt about being tickled that would be misconstrued as being a fetish.
    It depends who starts the thread.
  • Options
    D.DotAD.DotA Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was on this forum in the Big Brother section in the summer!

A forum member was claiming to be a recovering pedophile and he said he picked up on a HM's behaviour and how that HM was a pedophile too! Not only that but he was talking about his 'pedophile days'! I remember the thread got completely out of hand, the thread was deleted and the poster was removed!

I thought I had seen trolls but that was the most shocking trolling I have ever seen!

If anyone went in the BB forum does anyone remember it?
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Only if they have a fetish for it though. Which can usually be worked out from their repeated threads on similar subjects but in different guises and their constant ability to shoehorn it into unrelated threads.

Sometimes a quick Google of their username is pretty indicative too.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member

Probably not. But starting threads about assault on kids, and hair washing by fathers is all completely normal, obviously:D
  • Options
    Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Random42 wrote: »
    There was a thread on here some years back that was started by someone who said their sister had died and was the re-incarnation of a character from The Bill. Under the impression that Sun Hill was a real place etc. I cant recall all the details, but it was pretty strange.

At first I thought it was really amusing, then it took a rather dark and desperate tone which made me wonder if that person was really struggling with some issues. I never did figure out if they were a WUM or not.

That sounds morbidly fascinating - does anyone please have a link?
  • Options
    DrFlowDemandDrFlowDemand Posts: 2,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh yeah, they have their own name - sock puppets. Some of them go to lots of effort, creating different personalities and posting styles etc. but it's the ones who post in exactly the same style and repeatedly post and respond, whilst also back slapping, that give me the most chuckles.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That sounds morbidly fascinating - does anyone please have a link?

You'll be sorry you asked :D
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=772420
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Does anyone have anything to say about this?

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=70054893#post70054893
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Haha! Perfect ! I'm going to read through that again for old times sake :D