Kate Winslet names new son Bear

Comments

• Danny_GirlDanny_Girl Posts: 2,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bear Danny-Girl would get the shit kicked out out of them at the average secondary school that my kids went to. However, I expect that Bear Rocknroll will not have the same experience at the very select schools they attend. They will be surrounded by kids called Hercules, Plato, Window, Geranium and Spleen so don't feel too much pity for Bear.
  • spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love water birds so if I ever had any kids I think I'd call them Herring Gull, Oystercatcher, Gannet, Great Crested Grebe and Manx Sheerwater. How would that sound? Hnmm, perhaps not, lol. :-D
  • glasgow67glasgow67 Posts: 6,144
    Forum Member
    My cousins been called Bear since he was born basically, hes 21 now and has always been called that. His real names Daniel and it came about because of the model "Dani Behr" who I guess was quite well known at the time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I work in a year one class in a primary school we have 28 children in the class...

1 is named after an item of kitchenware
    1 is a name made up of the popular 'Tu' added on to a 'normal' name
    1 is a name like the price/andre child where two normal names have been blended soapcharacter couple like (Think Kalfie or Stenden).
    1 has a tripple barrelled first name.
    1 is called after another name for a big fire.
    1 is a brand name.
    Then we have the token Teddy's

so to be fair Bear Winslet won't get too much attention.
  • Susie_WilcoxSusie_Wilcox Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parents, usually daffy mothers, who play around with the spelling of a popular name irritate me because they turn a perfectly good name almost into an anagram. A friend of mine saddled her son with a ridiculous variation of 'Jamie'...she spelled it 'Jaemee' and then spent the following years being constantly angry about his name being spelled wrong on things like party invitations.
    He's 24 now and calls himself 'Jay'.
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,887
    Forum Member
    haphash wrote: »
    Its a bit disappointing that Kate hasn't gone for a more normal name this time but it could be worse.

Don't see how. Poor child.
  • TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to love Kate but since her Oscar win she seems to have really changed.

I also hate people giving "out there" names to a child. The kid has to live with that until they are at least 18. Do the parents not ever think about how having an off the wall name might affect their child. Okay, so in celebrity circles weird names are all the rage but I still think it's cruel. This reminds me of Jamie Oliver, who has called his kids Daisy Boo and Buddy Bear. Just horrible.

It is an unusual name.
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »
    Let's face it, the child won't be in a "normal" school and he will probably have friends who also have unusual names. It's not like the normal Joe Bloggs naming their child Bear which would probably be a bit cruel.

I dunno, Bear Bloggs has a ring to it. I think it's the alliteration. :D
  • Jennell_SierakoJennell_Sierako Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    My next door neighbors are from Bangladesh and their youngest son is called Axel. It is not just celebrities.
  • Choc13257weqChoc13257weq Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    They are selfish, self indulgent idiots, and lumbering their poor kids with these ridiculous names is another form of child abuse, and could scar them for life. :(

I agree.
    Forum Member
    The weirdest name I have heard is the name of a kid in my Kids Kindergarten. He is called Ararara. They call him A for short. Compared to that Bear seems almost normal.
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The weirdest name I have heard is the name of a kid in my Kids Kindergarten. He is called Ararara. They call him A for short. Compared to that Bear seems almost normal.

What is the point of that?! :D

I doubt they can even pronounce it themselves, hence the 'A for short'!
  • baldtonybaldtony Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    When I'm married to Kate Winslett (statistically, we'll all get there eventually) I'm going to insist on a proper name.
  • Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My next door neighbors are from Bangladesh and their youngest son is called Axel. It is not just celebrities.

I think people copy celebs though, don't they, when it comes to things like naming trends. :(
  • conchieconchie Posts: 14,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bear Rocknroll….. I shudder at the thought of what will happen in the school playground with that one !! What is wrong with her ! Number one didn't work because she was the star and he was the lowly director. Number 2 didn't work even though she bagged herself a world famous director…major ego clash there. Number three is a joke…..only a halfwit would change their name to Rocknroll….what does he do besides cling to the Branson connection. Another lesser mortal than her in the long rung. Can't see him making it to a second birthday party somehow !
  • LoonLoon Posts: 3,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alicia Silverstone named her son Bear Blu so this one's got off lightly
  • tinkerbell987tinkerbell987 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    baldtony wrote: »
    When I'm married to Kate Winslett (statistically, we'll all get there eventually) I'm going to insist on a proper name.

so then she'll have 4 by 4.....can't wait for that:):)
  • Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loon wrote: »
    Alicia Silverstone named her son Bear Blu so this one's got off lightly

Bear Blu? :o

How do these celebs even come up with these names? Poor kids. :(
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member

Axel isn't a weird name. I've heard the name quite a few times.
    Forum Member
    Axel isn't a weird name. I've heard the name quite a few times.

They are from Bangladesh though. However, they are lovely neighbors. One of their daughters is called Fern.
    She is gorgeous.
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    They are from Bangladesh though. However, they are lovely neighbors. One of their daughters is called Fern.
    She is gorgeous.

I actually do love the name Axel - but it is more of a Nordic or Swedish name I suppose.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is gorgeous.

Some of the lasses from India and right next to it are beautiful.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TerryM22 wrote: »
    It is an unusual name.

All names were unusual and made up at one point in time.

I don't really get the snobbery over names sometimes, they have evolved and changed since the year dot, or else we would all be called things like Wulfhilda and Aeric :D

Sure there are names that I don't care for but I can't see any real logical difference between naming your child after one kind of fruit, plant, mineral, animal or mythical figure than another!
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think people copy celebs though, don't they, when it comes to things like naming trends. :(

Same as it ever was.
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Silly woman!