Options

Who else is eating something other than turkey for Christmas dinner?

13»

Comments

• Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never eat turkey at christmas.
    This year its goose. last year venison.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm doing fillet steak for me and my folks
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    We are having lamb. This is the first time I am doing the traditional Christmas thing, one year I even cooked Mexican! Because I want to have it as traditional as possible I am doing a little frozen turkey breast as well as my slow roasted leg of lamb!
  • Options
    AaronWxAaronWx Posts: 2,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Turkey for me. I love turkey. Completely opposite to what the thread was asking I know, but i wanted to show turkey some love, it must be feeling a bit left out here :(.
  • Options
    Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a vegetarian....
  • Options
    jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chicken. Only because the smallest turkey was £12, and a largeish chicken was half the price and there's only two of us. I spent the money 'saved' on treat food for this evening!
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We never have turkey. This year I'm cooking roast pork, and something vegetarian for myself.
  • Options
    ChipPaperChipPaper Posts: 18,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AaronWx wrote: »
    Turkey for me. I love turkey. Completely opposite to what the thread was asking I know, but i wanted to show turkey some love, it must be feeling a bit left out here :(.

I'm sure turkey's feeling fine in the 'how much was your Christmas turkey' thread. Hearing how many people are spending money on it, must be quite the ego boost. :p
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We are having roast beef, my mum and dad don't like turkey, they only really had it for me, but this year is the first year we have been there for dinner for years so I'm just happy to be there, food comes second.
  • Options
    Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,275
    Forum Member
    My parents are cooking turkey. I've never liked it, so I'll be having lots of pigs in blankets with my dinner. :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Steak on Christmas Day, my mum's working and it'll just be me and Dad so we're waiting until Boxing Day to have the proper meal.
  • Options
    jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vegan roast - Delia Smith Red Cabbage with Apple, Sprouts, Parsnips and Cauliflower followed by home-made mincemeat made into Mary Berry's Mincemeat Streusel which is much nicer than mince pies (we made it last week to try it and it is delicious).
  • Options
    Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    don't know what I'm having. I don't like tradition, I don't celebrate christmas, tomorrow is just Dec 25th.

It'll be chicken of some kind as that's all I eat. Whether it's chicken tikka, peppered chicken or garlic chicken, I've no idea. It could just be a chicken mayo panini or ciabatta and chips. No idea.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Explain explain

I really fancy a cooked dinner with gravy now. :blush:
    Feijoada is slave food. It's a stew with black beans, different kinds of sausage, bacon, pigs ears and feet and stuff like that. Sounds horrible but it's good. Farofa is toasted cassava flour which also sounds horrible but it's one of my favourite things ever. It all goes really well with collard greens, slices of orange and a few caipirinhas.
  • Options
    AaronWxAaronWx Posts: 2,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ChipPaper wrote: »
    I'm sure turkey's feeling fine in the 'how much was your Christmas turkey' thread. Hearing how many people are spending money on it, must be quite the ego boost. :p

Haha true! I hadn't considered this :D
  • Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My family used to have turkey until one year I mentioned that none of us actually liked it. After that we switched to chicken, but I'll be having a mushroom burger with my food as I don't eat meat now.
  • Options
    allaboardallaboard Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We're having Toad in the Hole. My 6yr old asked about a month ago if we could have it for xmas dinner. Suits me, can still do all the trimmings. Just made the Deliaa Smith sticky toffee puds ready to finish off tomorrow as xmad pud does nowt for me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm having to go elsewhere for Christmas dinner this year, and they are having Goose. So I am taking a bit of turkey round for me to eat with my meal.
  • Options
    MissWalfordMissWalford Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EVILSPEAK wrote: »
    I'm having my usual Waitrose Cheddar Hand Crimped Cheese and Onion Pasty, because I'm vegetarian.

You should try this, really nice and a bit more christmasy.
    http://www.waitrose.com/shop/DisplayProductFlyout?productId=156377#.Urm9R2RdVqY
  • Options
    xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    when i was living at hone we never bothered with a turkey. if its a high number of guests 6+ it might be worth it but there was 4 of us and the high price £30 at least just for some meat for one day my dad would never have paid it. we just had normal meat - either chicken , beef , pork. it was different each year. i think my dad wanted duck a lot of the years but i wasn't keen.
    i don't mind turkey but i wont ever bother getting any myself. last year it was me and my partner's first Christmas living together and i think we had chicken . we couldn't have afforded blowing £30 on meat anyway plus a massive turkey just for 2 of us would have been stupid. we could have got a small one but that's still pricey. this year however I'm lucky , we are going over to my partners parents for Christmas and his mom bought a turkey so i get to have turkey on Christmas day for the first time in years and i don't have to pay for it :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are having a seven bird roast. Crow, blackbird, song thrush, turtle dove, robin, linnet and wren. Cannot wait to feel the crunch of their tiny bones. Will be starving afterwards though.
  • Options
    Moll FlandersMoll Flanders Posts: 1,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am ill and have just come out of hospital, so I shall probably have a few spoonfuls of Rice Krispies for breakfast, half a tin of Heinz tomato soup for lunch and a little bit of apple puree, like a baby's, for my tea. Maybe a ginger biscuit or two. A couple of cubes of cheese to take the taste of my tablets away. And a few glasses of Cranberry juice.

That's all!

Ho ho ho - and a very Merry Christmas to you all, whatever you're eating!

Love
    Moll Flanders
    x