Yale Easy Fit Smartphone Alarm Kit

davehunter5davehunter5 Posts: 433
Forum Member
Hi all, has anyone got any good or bad info on this Yale alarm system, was thinking of getting it

Any info would be appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These systems are never going to be up to a proper alarm system. You won't get adequate coverage for an average home - an average home should have a PIR in all ground floor rooms and the landing of the first floor, plus door contacts on all external doors.

As well the control panel should be detached from the keypad so if someone tries to smash a keypad this won't affect the operation of the alarm.

Nothing can beat a proper system, I always prefer wired but if you have to be wireless look at the Texecom Ricochet. This doesn't have a camera but is far more flexible and you can link it to the internet to control it remotely.

The Yale system has to go through their servers and if you read their website they are only guaranteeing to run servers until 2018 so in 3 years' time you could find it won't work.
  • davehunter5davehunter5 Posts: 433
    Forum Member
    These systems are never going to be up to a proper alarm system. You won't get adequate coverage for an average home - an average home should have a PIR in all ground floor rooms and the landing of the first floor, plus door contacts on all external doors.

As well the control panel should be detached from the keypad so if someone tries to smash a keypad this won't affect the operation of the alarm.

Nothing can beat a proper system, I always prefer wired but if you have to be wireless look at the Texecom Ricochet. This doesn't have a camera but is far more flexible and you can link it to the internet to control it remotely.

The Yale system has to go through their servers and if you read their website they are only guaranteeing to run servers until 2018 so in 3 years' time you could find it won't work.

Hi friend

I did see on their site about the servers will run till 2018, this is concerning
    I live in a flat that was built in the 1890 and was really wondering if the wireless would see through the property, you see one door
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a MiGuard wireless alarm with a solar / battery bell box. It has a unit which you can tuck away or put somewhere (the main wireless / central controller) which has a sim card slot and is battery backed.

I have bought all the door contacts and PIRs to make sure I have good coverage and I have a remote control to activate and deactivate on entry. If somebody breaks in they have 10 seconds (configurable) to find and smash the unit from when the sensor is triggered.

If they don't the bell box is very loud and I get a text message to my phone tell me which zones have gone off and the alarm calls my phone immediately aswell and lets me hear the audio in the house. That is enough for me to decide whether to call the police to inform them of a burglary in progress. This decision would be based on the fact that 2 zones would go off if anyone entered the property not just 1, and if I could hear noise or silence.

It has backup in case of power failure and it texts me in that event, it will run for hours on battery too. No servers needed, all it requires is a 2G PAYG sim card with a tiny bit of credit (I check it monthly to check SMS is working). No alarm company to delay the callout of the police in the event I can hear people in the property, 10 seconds to alarm, 20 seconds to validate sound and confirm, police on the phone inside 60 seconds. The phone line can't be cut like a traditional landline as it uses GSM.