Windows Phone 8, are you enjoying it?

13»

Comments

• irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One annoying piece of behavior is the way the back button works with IE. Sometimes it moves you back a page in the browser but other times it will move you out of IE entirely and into the main tile screen which is really frustrating if you want to remain in IE. Hopefully they'll fix this soon.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could this happen when you are at the beginning of a browsing history and there is no going back available? The whole OS UI is treated as a big set of pages where you go forward and back.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    One improvement to address that may be for press and hold on the back button to take you to the browser tabs screen or to show the browser tabs as separate open "app" screens?
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With Rudy Huyn's apps here (6tag, 6sec and 6snap) alongside already having apps from my bank etc, I feel very satisfied with my Windows Phone and no longer feel an app gap. (Well, there's always a few but big ones are getting covered off one by one). Wouldn't mind having Tinder on Windows Phone.

The camera on my 920 has performed incredibly however especially when it comes to low-light which is when I usually want to take phone camera shots but also been really useful for video. Pairing it with 32GB of fast NAND flash was a good design decision by Nokia too.
  • Nick2008Nick2008 Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    TheBigM wrote: »
    With Rudy Huyn's apps here (6tag, 6sec and 6snap) alongside already having apps from my bank etc, I feel very satisfied with my Windows Phone and no longer feel an app gap. (Well, there's always a few but big ones are getting covered off one by one). Wouldn't mind having Tinder on Windows Phone.

The camera on my 920 has performed incredibly however especially when it comes to low-light which is when I usually want to take phone camera shots but also been really useful for video. Pairing it with 32GB of fast NAND flash was a good design decision by Nokia too.

I was never blown away by the camera on the 920, however as you mentioned, the low light shots were pretty good.

I also think the 920 needed expandable memory support. The 32GBs doesn't go far when you want to keep photos, videos and music on the phone plus some games after over 1GB each.

This is the reason why I went for a 64GB 1020. The space fills up even faster on the 1020 as it saves a full resolution image of each shot which is about 10MBs in size.
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick2008 wrote: »
    I was never blown away by the camera on the 920, however as you mentioned, the low light shots were pretty good.

I also think the 920 needed expandable memory support. The 32GBs doesn't go far when you want to keep photos, videos and music on the phone plus some games after over 1GB each.

This is the reason why I went for a 64GB 1020. The space fills up even faster on the 1020 as it saves a full resolution image of each shot which is about 10MBs in size.

With so much free cloud storage around these days, those 10MB photos could be uploaded to the cloud quickly and deleted.
    Forum Member
    With so much free cloud storage around these days, those 10MB photos could be uploaded to the cloud quickly and deleted.

That is true but I don't think it's possible for third party apps to access and upload the full resolution images direct from the phone. SkyDrive only uploads the 5MP image. It's possible to pull the full resolution image from the phone via Windows Explorer then upload to the cloud but that's not very convenient and once you remove the full resolution image from the phone, you lose the option to resize from it until you copy it back but then you have to scan for photos captured with Nokia Camera.

Soooo glad I got the 64GB model. I have about 16GBs free at the moment so plenty before I have to think about space management....but life would be so much easier with expandable memory support.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have used a w8 phone, Nokia something or other, I had a muck around before I got the Nexus. It was not for me to be honest. Not so much the lack of apps as i don't use that many anyway, but I just did not like the UI.

I did lag a little bit, but then as far as I remember it was not a top spec phone anyway. but as been said above, what is a few milliseconds?

I remember the person who owned the phone was happy with it, so happy they now own a Iphone :)
  • TidoshoTidosho Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had my 920 since mid August and on the whole very pleased with it.

Worst experience has been the poor support from 3 and then Nokia for a broken phone, (the report said "replaced mainboard and faulty component"). Took 10 days to fix though and that is too long.

I'm in no way a power user or app fiend so the lack of a few doesn't bother me too much though that's not to say there aren't some I miss.

The 3 app
    PayPal integration with EBay.
    A decent LIVE weather app, which I'm going to look for now.
    I'd love a "forward" button too, what's with just "back" all the time? Or maybe I don't do enough investigating.
    The camera is fantastic, especially video, and I'm not regretting getting this instead of waiting for the 1020.

So, Mr Window, just improve the battery life and if you're going to install wireless charging on a phone then supply it when bought. A feature that you can't use unless you pay extra isn't a feature, it's an option.
    Forum Member
    Tidosho wrote: »
    Had my 920 since mid August and on the whole very pleased with it.

Worst experience has been the poor support from 3 and then Nokia for a broken phone, (the report said "replaced mainboard and faulty component"). Took 10 days to fix though and that is too long.

I'm in no way a power user or app fiend so the lack of a few doesn't bother me too much though that's not to say there aren't some I miss.

The 3 app
    PayPal integration with EBay.
    A decent LIVE weather app, which I'm going to look for now.
    I'd love a "forward" button too, what's with just "back" all the time? Or maybe I don't do enough investigating.
    The camera is fantastic, especially video, and I'm not regretting getting this instead of waiting for the 1020.

So, Mr Window, just improve the battery life and if you're going to install wireless charging on a phone then supply it when bought. A feature that you can't use unless you pay extra isn't a feature, it's an option.

I use a 3 app but it isn't the official one. It's developed by Ian Morland and can be found here. It's good for checking allowances and bills and it's not a wrapper to the website like the Nokia one.

As for a decent weather app, I'm happy to recommend Forecast. It costs £1.49 but it has a beautiful UI, lockscreen integration, meteogram, lovely live tile and the information is always spot on for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use a 3 app but it isn't the official one. It's developed by Ian Morland and can be found here. It's good for checking allowances and bills and it's not a wrapper to the website like the Nokia one.

As for a decent weather app, I'm happy to recommend Forecast. It costs £1.49 but it has a beautiful UI, lockscreen integration, meteogram, lovely live tile and the information is always spot on for me.

Thanks for the suggestions, the 3 one is just what I needed!
    Forum Member
    Tidosho wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions, the 3 one is just what I needed!

No probs....did you try the weather app too?
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been away overseas for a couple or three months and used an Android phone no problem (Galaxy S2 and S3 as backup), quick and slick etc. The S2 is still back there waiting for my return in the New Year (I'll happily use it with a local PAYG sim card) and I've been using a W8 phone since my return to the UK. I'm a light phone user to be honest and have found all the apps I need easily using W8 and I prefer the general 'feel' of the Windows OS over Android; It has a crisp, sharp organised look to it which suits me. Don't get me wrong I'm happy enough with the S2/S3 but if I had to pick an OS for a full time phone I'd go the Windows route.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No probs....did you try the weather app too?

Currently trying the Bing variant. It integrates well but as I won't be doing much travelling this week not really much of a test.
  • wavy-davywavy-davy Posts: 7,122
    Forum Member
    Just got a Lumia 520 for £85 on Voda PAYG. Swapped my Sainsburys PAYG sim into it and it works great.

Made up with it as my first smartphone. The only flaw I've found so far is the reception on the FM radio is carp.

Have found the Weather Channel free app very good.