Android up, Windows up, Big screens up, iphone down

Comments

• tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    swordman wrote: »
    I'm not sure anyone has argued that budget is not a factor, really can't see why that has become the discussion.

What is more relevant is that it clearly is not the overriding factor in choosing android.

Of course cost is the overriding factor in choosing Android. Most people who buy Android phones don't even know they're buying an Android phone, they are buying it for what it can do, at a price they like.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there is a tendency to underestimate the "normal" person's understanding of technology and play along with the "they don't know any better" when it suits their argument. I'm pretty sure the average consumer knows at the very least that they have Google software on their device. Android as a brand is not as unknown as people are suggesting.

Just because there isn't a robot stamped on the back of every device does not mean people don't know what it is, particularly those buying the increasingly popular Nexus devices.
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well you clearly didn't understand it did, and sadly it seems it was these figures you based your "collapse" upon. I asked for evidence of a "collapse" something you clearly thought but were unable to substantiate

Yes 22% down for the reasons I have told you, not difficult to understand for most and more than understandable on a hugely expanding sector.

iphone $650+ :confused: you are looking at the right figures aren't you or perhaps your deliberately embellishing them for effect :). $635 I think you will find and if you consider that a static graph it clearly shows your impartiality.

perhaps you would consider the halving of apples market share in around 18 months also static.

Not sure where I get the 55 million from? you really are struggling with these figures aren't you :o

Good, glad you agree. You obviously do not see a 22.8% reduction as a collapse.

Where did you get that figure from?
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Nope no collapse here seems only you believe such things.

You're telling me after somehow managing to interpret a collapse from those figures, you're unable to ascertain the basic facts such as sales :confused:
    Forum Member
    tdenson wrote: »
    Of course cost is the overriding factor in choosing Android. Most people who buy Android phones don't even know they're buying an Android phone, they are buying it for what it can do, at a price they like.

Wasn't for you, it seems you only bought one so you could drone on about hour good your iPhone is in comparison :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope no collapse here seems only you believe such things.

You're telling me after somehow managing to interpret a collapse from those figures, you're unable to ascertain the basic facts such as sales :confused:

I'm asking you where you got the 55 million figure from. I didn't realise it was such a difficult question:confused:
    Forum Member
    Is not which is why I am staggered you don't know the answer!!

You manage to create fictional market condition from some figures but the most basic facts elude you.

So you need help here do you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is not which is why I am staggered you don't know the answer!!

You manage to create fictional market condition from some figures but the most basic facts elude you.

So you need help here do you?

I've created no fictional market condition, and I'm not sure why you feel the need to be so defensive about facts provided in a report you linked to.

Yes, I need help in where 55 million came from.
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the average consumer knows at the very least that they have Google software on their device.

I'm really not sure they do. My wife, who is a typical non-techie, but has had iPhones for 6 years doesn't know what I mean when I say IOS, she just glazes over.
    You and I live in a tech bubble, we will just have to agree to disagree.
    Forum Member
    Well 21% of all smartphone sales comes to 54.8 million or so, granted some small rounding up. Nothing like your invention of iPhone sales figures I hasten to add.

Always happy to help you out.
    Forum Member
    I'm really not sure they do. My wife, who is a typical non-techie, but has had iPhones for 6 years doesn't know what I mean when I say IOS, she just glazes over.

That applies across the board or are you claiming it applies more to Android because they have some cheaper phones :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well 21% of all smartphone sales comes to 54.8 million or so, granted some small rounding up. Nothing like your invention of iPhone sales figures I hasten to add.

Always happy to help you out.

Are you taking the numbers from the report?

What figure are you using for total smartphone sales?

I didn't know I had invented iphone sales figures:confused:
    Forum Member
    That applies across the board or are you claiming it applies more to Android because they have some cheaper phones :confused:

Que ?
    Forum Member
    Sorry you find this simple calculation confusing, I'm not sure how I can make this simple fact any clearer for you.

You claimed the figure the iphone is selling at is §650+ clearly an invention as no such figure exists.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry you find this simple calculation confusing, I'm not sure how I can make this simple fact any clearer for you.

You claimed the figure the iphone is selling at is §650+ clearly an invention as no such figure exists.

I tell you what, you make it as simple as possible for me, I really don't know why this is so difficult for you.

In order to get your 55 million, you are basing that on 21% of smartphone sales. What number are you using for smartphone sales and did you get that number from the report.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure anyone has argued that budget is not a factor, really can't see why that has become the discussion.

What is more relevant is that it clearly is not the overriding factor in choosing android.
    All other OS's have stagnated or fallen since q2 which means even those with money :rolleyes: have moved away from iphone.

The figures on phablet sales (of which we can say a healthy proportion of will be high end) almost double iphone sales. Of course those iphone sales themselves include all models from the low end to mid range.

Add to that all the other models not captured in phablet sales and the high end android market is clearly dwarfing the iphone market.

If apple doesn't do something special with the 6, I fear for their continued presence in the smartphone market that merits any real worthiness. Even increasing screen size (which I think they must) may now be seen as just a little meh!!

re: BIB

If Android devices are available at far more price points than iOS devices are, then of course budget is a factor.

If someone's budget does not stretch to an iOS device, but does stretch to Android devices at lower price points, then how can budget not be a factor?
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member

Because you probably told her it was the best. And her not knowing better probably accepted it not knowing there is better out there.

My family don't live in a tech bubble, nor do most of my pals or work pals, yet they know the difference.
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    I tell you what, you make it as simple as possible for me, I really don't know why this is so difficult for you.

In order to get your 55 million, you are basing that on 21% of smartphone sales. What number are you using for smartphone sales and did you get that number from the report.

Yes 21% of smartphone sales, what number would you have me use? I really can't see what your problem is, you have read the report yes?

[/QUOTE]Phablet shipments accounted for 21% of smartphone sales[/QUOTE]

I fall to see why this is throwing you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Because you probably told her it was the best. And her not knowing better probably accepted it not knowing there is better out there.

My family don't live in a tech bubble, nor do most of my pals or work pals, yet they know the difference.

That's right.

God forbid anyone might just have an iPhone because they prefer it.

It must be that they just don't know what they could be missing, that must match your preference.
    Forum Member
    calico_pie wrote: »
    re: BIB

If Android devices are available at far more price points than iOS devices are, then of course budget is a factor.

If someone's budget does not stretch to an iOS device, but does stretch to Android devices at lower price points, then how can budget not be a factor?

Because for the majority of android phones at the mid or high end there would be an iphone option. For a good proportion of the 55 million pallets sales on their own an iphone could be chosen... The simple fact is it is not being chosen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because for the majority of android phones at the mid or high end there would be an iphone option. For a good proportion of the 55 million pallets sales on their own an iphone could be chosen... The simple fact is it is not being chosen.

Uh-huh.

The original point wasn't about mid to high end Android devices.

It was about all Android devices.

The market share split between all Android devices and iOS might be 80/20.

But the split between mid and especially high end Android devices and iOS will be nowhere near 80/20.

Agreed?
    Forum Member
    That's right.

God forbid anyone might just have an iPhone because they prefer it.

It must be that they just don't know what they could be missing, that must match your preference.

God forbid a devout apple fan would tell his apparently unknowing wife that the iPhone was the best!

I have no preference. I am simply stating the obvious here.
    Forum Member
    Uh-huh.

The original point wasn't about mid to high end Android devices.

It was about all Android devices.

The market share split between all Android devices and iOS might be 80/20.

But the split between mid and especially high end Android devices and iOS will be nowhere near 80/20.

Agreed?

Jesus. Does it really matter?

Android is the highest right now. There is no argument. Is your life really this hollow you need to spend the entire day and night on here arguing about something that doesn't affect you in the slightest?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it doesn't matter, tell that to the guy who started the thread!

And way to go with making ridiculous sweeping judgements about people you know nothing about. But just for the record, how often is it OK to post before someone's life becomes hollow?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    God forbid a devout apple fan would tell his apparently unknowing wife that the iPhone was the best!

I have no preference. I am simply stating the obvious here.

And God forbid she could decide for herself.

And sorry, of course your preference is obviously better than other people's preference. Silly me.