Kitten help!

MissjefMissjef Posts: 2,375
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm getting two little girls two weeks this saturday coming, and im starting to get worried about how safe the home is for them, i was just wondering if any of you secured any wiring or anyting when you got kittens?
we dont have anything dangerous to them apart from some wires from cd players and lights, but im worried that with me being at work they might start chewing them!
Or are cats not that bothered by them?
many thanks!

Comments

• stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Some chew on wires. Mine is 2 and still does. They chew any time not just when you are at work. If you worry, I would remove the the wired items when you are not present to supervise.

Mine also loves to strip wall paper despite having her own scratching posts inside the house and out.

I was drying sheets yesterday on the banisters and they also become toys.

Kittens and cats are unpredictable in their behaviours. They might show no interest in wires.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When our cat was a little kitten, we got a big dog cage/crate which we put him in at night and when we went to work. He liked it, 'coz that is what he was used to from the breeder, and had all his toys, food, litter tray and bed in. In fact, even when we were at home and he wanted some peace and quiet he would go and sleep in it.
    Maybe an idea to keep your little ones out of harm's way when you are not there to supervise. You can get one on ebay for about £30-£40.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    LQS wrote: »
    When our cat was a little kitten, we got a big dog cage/crate which we put him in at night and when we went to work. He liked it, 'coz that is what he was used to from the breeder, and had all his toys, food, litter tray and bed in. In fact, even when we were at home and he wanted some peace and quiet he would go and sleep in it.
    Maybe an idea to keep your little ones out of harm's way when you are not there to supervise. You can get one on ebay for about £30-£40.

I had forgotten about the den.

My brother brought my cat a little cat house to sleep in. She is often in there two years on on a daily basis.

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_beds_baskets/cat_dens/13605
  • MissjefMissjef Posts: 2,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hi, thanks for the replies so far guys, i guess it just depends on the cats i suppose, since i dont think any of the cats we ever had when i was growing up were bothered about wires.
    Also i dont want to be taking any items away that have wires in them out, since theres a massive tv and lights which is a bit impractical.
    i think we might see if we can put a casing round them so they re all together rather than loose.

we re living in a rented house, so im hoping the damage wont be too bad when im back from work!

thanks for the idea about the cage, we got 2 kittens a few years ago at home that were very young so we put them in a big guinea pig cage on a night, which they liked i think as they knew they were safe, so maybe could do this to begin with.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks for the link - i think we might just stick to just keeping them in the kitchen/dining room area for the first few weeks, ive already bought lots of toys and a nice big comfy bed, so hopefully they wont get bored! plus i think with getting two they ll play with each other for most of the day.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm personally not keen on the idea of shutting kittens in a cage (regardless of size) I know for puppies they serve a purpose but kittens are inquisitive little monsters by nature...

I've never heard of a kitten biting through wires in real life (Is it actually not an urban myth??) - as long as they have plenty of toys they should be fine!

OP you say you used to keep your two previous kittens in a Guinea Pig Cage at night?? :eek:

Firstly what has become of said kittens? Secondly if you had kittens a few years back then surely you know the drill? :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm personally not keen on the idea of shutting kittens in a cage (regardless of size) I know for puppies they serve a purpose but kittens are inquisitive little monsters by nature...

I've never heard of a kitten biting through wires in real life (Is it actually not an urban myth??) - as long as they have plenty of toys they should be fine!

OP you say you used to keep your two previous kittens in a Guinea Pig Cage at night?? :eek:

Firstly what has become of said kittens? Secondly if you had kittens a few years back then surely you know the drill? :o

The two kittens which i mentioned, are at my mums house this was a few years ago, ive since moved out of home. they were in a guinea pig cage only for the first week or two when we got them as they were so tiny and ill since they had been rescued from a disused waste pipe on a farm i think, so a lady from the local vets had them all rehomed, we took 2 home - sadly one of the boys did not make it so then we ended up with a girl from the same litter, and they re both now healthy and fine im pleased to say.
    Also we had another older cat at the house so we wanted to make sure they would be safe if he got into the room, especially since they hadnt been introduced at this stage since they were both ill little kittens.
    so please dont judge us for doing that without knowing the full story, it was in their best interests.

yes i do know the drill regarding kittens, but i just cant remember whether any of ours ever chewed through any wires so thought i'd ask to see if its a common thing.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Missjef wrote: »
    The two kittens which i mentioned, are at my mums house this was a few years ago, ive since moved out of home. they were in a guinea pig cage only for the first week or two when we got them as they were so tiny and ill since they had been rescued from a disused waste pipe on a farm i think, so a lady from the local vets had them all rehomed, we took 2 home - sadly one of the boys did not make it so then we ended up with a girl from the same litter, and they re both now healthy and fine im pleased to say.
    Also we had another older cat at the house so we wanted to make sure they would be safe if he got into the room, especially since they hadnt been introduced at this stage since they were both ill little kittens.
    so please dont judge us for doing that without knowing the full story, it was in their best interests.

yes i do know the drill regarding kittens, but i just cant remember whether any of ours ever chewed through any wires so thought i'd ask to see if its a common thing.

Sorry - I wasn't having a go!! Just all this talk of cages makes me feel uncomfortable!! You weren't very explanatory....

I am pretty sure that most cats will not chew through a wire and hurt themselves - as long as they have plenty to keep them occupied (Like a couch, curtains, carpets - they much prefer to chew them LOL)
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best put that priceless collection of Dresden china into storage for a while.
  • summer_chicksummer_chick Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My two never showed any real interest in wires - they ones we have at home clearly don't move enough for them !The only scary incident we had was with a large fishing net, brand new and waiting by the front door about a week after we got them... one was investigating and when OH went towards it she took fright and dashed right into it :eek: We had a horrible couple of minutes, but luckily it was stuck around her neck so she froze and we were able to cut the net .. we had to sit down & have a cup of hot sweet tea while the instigator of all the terror continued on with her day.. assaulting various objects around the house..

If you're getting two girls you may well find that their favourite toy for the first few months is each other... their play looks vicious but they had - and still have now they're one - a blast !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with a lot of the posts - the two little ones should keep each other entertained. I remember before we got ours at 13 weeks, seeing him play with his sister. They just used to tw*t each other about the room..... but then snuggle up for a good long sleep !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive never had two sisters before, we ve always tended to get 2 boys when i was at home, so it ll be nice to have 2 little girls for a change!