Options

Switch 1 feed between 2 receivers

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
Forum Member
Dish with single lnb.
I want to switch this feed from one receiver to another but don't know if it is possible to obtain such a thing.
I am aware that with a single feed I can only watch one box at a time & the solution would be another lnb but this isn't an option at the moment.
Presently I unplug the F connector from one receiver & fit to the other but it would make life easier to be able to move a switch.
EBay & other suppliers have lots of aerial switches but nobody describes the use I wish to put it to.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    pedro2000ukpedro2000uk Posts: 2,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    many receivers have loop through - you can loop through to a 2nd receiver - usually you put one on standby & the other on etc.. but you can have both on providing they are on the same polarisation (H or V) & same band ( low band or high band)

on a big dish on a strong satellite you can see some vertical channels on the 2nd receiver when the 1st is on a horizontal channel.. rare but does happen - usually if nothing else is near the 2nd channel frequency wise.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    The switch you need is a ' HI ISOLATION CABLE SWITCH'
    One inlet and two outlets A and B with two large push buttons marked A and B so you choose which the inlet goes to.
    I think I paid £25 for mine from Johnsons of Derby, Maplins might be cheaper ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Thanks both - it's easy when you know how!
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cardman wrote: »
    One inlet and two outlets A and B with two large push buttons marked A and B so you choose which the inlet goes to.

You wos robbed :p

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/F-Type-Satellite-Cable-A-B-Switch-FREE-P-P-UK-SELLER-/190351592624?pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item2c51d6ccb0
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    cardman wrote: »

From experience these are actualy designed for 2 inputs and 1 output, ie feed two different dishes into one box.

They only work for certain types of sat box in reverse, ie 2 outputs and 1 input.

For £4 its worth the gamble but just be aware that it might not work with your box.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pilot25dmc wrote: »
    From experience these are actualy designed for 2 inputs and 1 output, ie feed two different dishes into one box.

They only work for certain types of sat box in reverse, ie 2 outputs and 1 input.

For £4 its worth the gamble but just be aware that it might not work with your box.

It's just a two way switch A to B, or A to C where A is the common connection. So it could be two lnbs to one box (lnbs connected to B and C and A to the Box) or one lnb to two boxes makes no difference (lnb to A and B & C to the two boxes). (in both cases only 1 at a time)
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only thing I would point out is to only switch feeds when both receivers are turned off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They may well work with whatever box the previous poster is using but they will not work with a SkyHD box.

I bought one to split the signal between my Sky and my Spiderbox.

The Spiderbox works perfectly with it but the Sky box does not.

I would guess that it only allows the power pass to flow one way so the Sky's 2nd feed is unable to activate.

As I said before, depending on what box you have then you will get different results.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pilot25dmc wrote: »
    They may well work with whatever box the previous poster is using but they will not work with a SkyHD box.

I bought one to split the signal between my Sky and my Spiderbox.

The Spiderbox works perfectly with it but the Sky box does not.

I would guess that it only allows the power pass to flow one way so the Sky's 2nd feed is unable to activate.

As I said before, depending on what box you have then you will get different results.

It's just a switch nothing else, there's no active electronics involved. . If your Sky-Hd box does not work then it's likely down to the connections. Most likely a badly fitted f plug on the connection from switch to the sky box or it might be that your signal is so marginal that the insertion loss is causing the signmal to be too weak for the sky box tuner to maintain lock.

If you are trying to use the SKT-HD box with a single cable on most there is a menu option to change to single cable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, following your post I decided to give the switch another go, I bought it 4 months ago and gave up on it.

Wired to input 1 on the Sky box it seems to work fine, input 2 on the other hand does not work, think I may just keep it on input 1 as everything works the way I want it to now.

Funny thing is I am sure I tried input 1 before, hummm, not sure what I did now!

Nice to be able to swap the signals between the 2 boxes now.
  • Options
    deeseedeesee Posts: 855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been using one for years, lnb feed in, out to technomate in lounge, and out to manhatton in my multisat upstairs room, now i have changed it to lnb into technomate positioner, then out to switch, from switch to technomate stb in lounge, and switch to manhattan in multisat room, now with a press of a switch i can control the dish from lounge or multisat room, should have done it months ago.