Options

Why We Didn't Win 2018 World Cup?

occyoccy Posts: 65,148
Forum Member
✭✭
Not only because of the BBC Panaroma. I think we lost it before this. We just don't have any friends in FIFA. The structure of English football isn't right. We don't have the right England Managers. Not all our players are passionate to play for England.

The whole English game from the the FA downwards needs to be looked at.

Comments

• Options
    garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    Not only because of the BBC Panaroma. I think we lost it before this. We just don't have any friends in FIFA. The structure of English football isn't right.
    We don't have the right England Managers.
    Not all our players are passionate to play for England.

The whole English game from the the FA downwards needs to be looked at.

what!!! that makes no sense whatsoever.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    'Why we didn't win the 2018 World Cup?' is not a question, it is a statement, no need for the question mark.

Also, just to be totally pedantic, we didn't loose the 2018 World Cup, we lost the chance to 'host' it.

We didn't get to host it because FIFA is corrupt and Russia has more $$$$ to through about, simple as that.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The structure of English football, Fabio Capello and England players allegedly lacking hypothetical 'passion' had no negative bearing on the votes at all.

May as well blame our ugly home kit or Wayne Rooney's hairline.
  • Options
    skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    There seems to be a hatred of The Premier League by FIFA.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly just think it's mainly down to the way FIFA wants these World Cups to go. There's been a push towards developing nations/developing markets for about a decade now and this ties in with that - Russia was the only developing nation/market that was in the running for 2018.

Whether there's corruption or not is a different matter, but I don't see anything in Russia winning which necessarily means the voting was corrupt. It was really the expected result given the direction FIFA has been moving in over the past few years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What have FIFA done specifically to the Premier League?
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Russia have never hosted a world cup - England has.

Am sure that was a factor too - Qatar though (lots of money but a tiny country - the 12 stadiums will probably all be within walking distance of each other!):D
  • Options
    BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    bunk_medal wrote: »
    Honestly just think it's mainly down to the way FIFA wants these World Cups to go. There's been a push towards developing nations/developing markets for about a decade now and this ties in with that - Russia was the only developing nation/market that was in the running for 2018.

Whether there's corruption or not is a different matter, but I don't see anything in Russia winning which necessarily means the voting was corrupt. It was really the expected result given the direction FIFA has been moving in over the past few years.

Yep, before today:

World Cups held in Western Europe: 10
    World Cups held in Eastern Europe: 0

If enough people were living on the Moon, FIFA would host the World Cup there at some point.
  • Options
    Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bunk_medal wrote: »

Russia is not a developing nation. It's a develop-ed nation, a member of G8 and has one of the largest economies in the world.

Russia won either because it's not hosted the WC before or because it bought the vote. Either way I don't think it's a fair result. It seems pretty clear that the FIFA executive had made up it's mind to give the WC to Russia long ago, despite the inferior technical and commercial assesments and hige risks associated with the total lack of stadia and infrastructure. If FIFA want to award the WC based on who has or hasn't hosted it before, fine, but they should have made that clear as a criteria from the start so that countries like England or Spain would know there's no point trying.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    We didn't pay enough in bribes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now saying that Sepp reminded the "members" this morning, not to forget the media scrutany that they have been subjected to by our media. Which again goes against what this fat 2 faced motherfacker said yesterday. What a total ******.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    pilot25dmc wrote: »
    'Why we didn't win the 2018 World Cup?' is not a question, it is a statement, no need for the question mark.

Also, just to be totally pedantic, we didn't loose the 2018 World Cup, we lost the chance to 'host' it.

We didn't get to host it because FIFA is corrupt and Russia has more $$$$ to through about, simple as that.

If you choose to be "totally pedantic", you really ought to be able to use the correct words - "lose" not "loose" and "throw" not "through".
  • Options
    CarlosVelaCarlosVela Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    The structure of English football, Fabio Capello and England players allegedly lacking hypothetical 'passion' had no negative bearing on the votes at all.

May as well blame our ugly home kit or Wayne Rooney's hairline.

Curious though that the winning nation had their national side captain sitting with them whilst Rio Ferdinand was sitting at home, citing a game at the weekend for being the reason he couldn't go despite him playing later in the day than Arshavin.

Would've been more important for Ferdinand to be there talking to delegates than David Cameron.
    Assa2 wrote: »
    Russia is not a developing nation. It's a develop-ed nation, a member of G8 and has one of the largest economies in the world.

Russia won either because it's not hosted the WC before or because it bought the vote. Either way I don't think it's a fair result. It seems pretty clear that the FIFA executive had made up it's mind to give the WC to Russia long ago, despite the inferior technical and commercial assesments and hige risks associated with the total lack of stadia and infrastructure. If FIFA want to award the WC based on who has or hasn't hosted it before, fine, but they should have made that clear as a criteria from the start so that countries like England or Spain would know there's no point trying.

I would imagine they meant developing in football terms. Russia is still a work in progress when it comes to football but it's certainly getting there.
  • Options
    TClarkeTClarke Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pilot25dmc wrote: »

And if England had won it everything would have been whiter than white ...

Corruption exists everywhere, it is not solely a Russian phenomenon.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I blame Cameron & Prince Wally.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Rio was there doing his bit I'd probably have voted for Russia too. 'Swear down bruv, we'll put on a bare sick cup yeah?'
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    According to a guy on Sky it was because we were not building anything , and FIFA likes to be linked to economic growth and success.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no one likes england. get used to it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    roger0804 wrote: »
    If you choose to be "totally pedantic", you really ought to be able to use the correct words - "lose" not "loose" and "throw" not "through".

Good point, bravo. :D

Pretty annoyed about that, I am usually very good with my spelling.
  • Options
    CarlosVelaCarlosVela Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dome wrote: »
    According to a guy on Sky it was because we were not building anything , and FIFA likes to be linked to economic growth and success.

Apart from the new stadiums and capacity expansions in over half the others involved, that's a load of nonsense

Sky just making news where there isn't any
  • Options
    cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skunkboy69 wrote: »
    There seems to be a hatred of The Premier League by FIFA.

Not just FIFA.

Platini voted for the Holland/Belgium bid.

If you don't laugh you'd have to cry.
  • Options
    breppobreppo Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elan Morin wrote: »
    no one likes england. get used to it

I love England and I'm sure there are more people that love England. Needle in a haystack perhaps, but they are out there, somewhere.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Assa2 wrote: »

It's a developing market for football. By hosting it in Russia they can grow the game, facilitate more interest in the sport and leave some sort of footballing legacy in the country. The development issue was actually the key point made in Russia's presentation - a vote for Russia would mean "access to new markets, access to new players and fans", etc.
  • Options
    breppobreppo Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cosmo wrote: »
    Not just FIFA.

Platini voted for the Holland/Belgium bid.

If you don't laugh you'd have to cry.

Why cry, Netherlands/Belgium had a very solid and realistic bid. The only one that factored in a financial loss. I knew we (NL/BE) didn't have a real chance, because we didn't want to comply to all the (ridiculous) FIFA demands without parliamanent deciding on it. And there was huge parliamentary opposition to the FIFA demands. Changing laws is a difficult and time consuming process in a democracy and we all know FIFA doesn't like that very much.

Let's face reality, in the end NL/BE and England didn't grease palms, or not enough palms.
  • Options
    pmw_hewittpmw_hewitt Posts: 1,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The irony for me is that, perhaps Panormana even gained us a vote. It's quite interesting that other than Geoff Thompson, Idriss Hayatou was the other to vote for the England bid. As he is one of the three who featured in the Panorama episode on suspicion of corruption, his vote could've been to show how "un-corrupt" he is, and without it, we possibly could've ended with 1 vote.

Even so, 2 votes? Quite disgraceful. I didn't expect to win it, but for crying out loud, two?!?!