Options

Is Ineta getting the Vicki Fowler treatment?

NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
Forum Member
✭✭
Maybe I was hearing things but for the little that she has said so far (and she is a recurring character), I swear that her accent was more foreign when she started. Now like Vicki her accent is slowly morphing into an English one. It's perhaps not as surprising in a younger kid who will probably acquire the accent of where they're living. But the transition does remind me a little of the way Vicki went from the American accent to a British one within months.

Comments

• Options
    Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    Maybe I was hearing things but for the little that she has said so far (and she is a recurring character), I swear that her accent was more foreign when she started. Now like Vicki her accent is slowly morphing into an English one. It's perhaps not as surprising in a younger kid who will probably acquire the accent of where they're living. But the transition does remind me a little of the way Vicki went from the American accent to a British one within months.

I have thought exactly the same thing! I thought where's her accent gone? Vicki's accent change was much worse though, it was atrocious.
  • Options
    FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    I'm pretty sure the actress is foreign, but I don't know. It definitely sounded English to me.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    Vicky's accent change was horrific because it literally happened between episodes with no gradual shift. She went away to look for Somebody (den i think) with an American (sort of) accent and returned about a month later with a British accent. Sharon even commented on it and Vicky said something like "i wanted a change" with a shrug, like it is that easy to just 'decide' on a new accent.

Ineta doesn't seem as grating as we haven't heard her speak as much and she will have been missing with Kids at School for several months now and she might be trying to fit in, especially if she is being bullied.

I have a friend who moved to Essex from Scotland when she was 10 and she made a concerted effort to lose her accent so she wouldn't be 'different' and therefore a target for bullying.
  • Options
    craig_25craig_25 Posts: 2,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Vicky's accent change was horrific because it literally happened between episodes with no gradual shift. She went away to look for Somebody (den i think) with an American (sort of) accent and returned about a month later with a British accent. Sharon even commented on it and Vicky said something like "i wanted a change" with a shrug, like it is that easy to just 'decide' on a new accent.

Ineta doesn't seem as grating as we haven't heard her speak as much and she will have been missing with Kids at School for several months now and she might be trying to fit in, especially if she is being bullied.

I have a friend who moved to Essex from Scotland when she was 10 and she made a concerted effort to lose her accent so she wouldn't be 'different' and therefore a target for bullying.

I agree. Her accent is definitely changing but it isn't as jarring as the overnight change we saw in Vicky. It wouldn't be unrealistic for her to mimic her peers to try to fit in.

I went to boarding school hundreds of miles from home when I was 10. My family were decidedly working class, Yorkshire coal merchants and I was surrounded by upper middle class rich kids. I soon learned to adjust my accent to fit in with them. I spoke one way at school and one way at home. Even now, living in London and working in corporate finance, I have an accent for work and one for when I visit my family and friends in Yorkshire.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also thought that she sounds like a Londoner
  • Options
    jxbrennajxbrenna Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pink_Smurf wrote: »
    I have thought exactly the same thing! I thought where's her accent gone? Vicki's accent change was much worse though, it was atrocious.

it wasnt just me! i thought i was going a bit mad :P:D
  • Options
    Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Younger poeple also adjust and take i. New accents quicker.
  • Options
    bean_of_sbbean_of_sb Posts: 7,841
    Forum Member
    I thought the bruise on her arm was because she is being bullied - hence her hiding the accent, to try and fit in?
  • Options
    grangehilllovergrangehilllover Posts: 1,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched an interview with the guy who plays Aleks and the girl who plays Ineta was from Allbania...she could've moved to the UK when she got the role in EastEnders, so her accent might not be as strong as it use to be, but it's still there. I think it's all natural, unlike with Vicki Fowler where she was just one day told to drop the accent.
  • Options
    J-BJ-B Posts: 18,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did think it a little strange when Aleks asked her if she wanted fish fingers or shepherds pie for tea and she replied "OI OI COME AND 'AV A LOOK GET YOUR APPLES AND PEARS 'ERE DARLING, OH MY OLD MANS A DUSTMAN"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J-B wrote: »
    I did think it a little strange when Aleks asked her if she wanted fish fingers or shepherds pie for tea and she replied "OI OI COME AND 'AV A LOOK GET YOUR APPLES AND PEARS 'ERE DARLING, OH MY OLD MANS A DUSTMAN"

She's spending too much time round Mick Carter!
  • Options
    dinbindinbin Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Bah, she was born and raised here, but had to put the accent on, although she probably could speak her native language. EE just did it for realism
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah now that I'm reminded, I remember vividly how cringeworthy Vicki sounded. The actress herself (she was on Pramface more recently) is OK, but now that Vicki is meant to be in Australia they could probably get away with a recast if they want to rebuild some of the Fowlers.

They'd have to find someone with at least an Aussie twang, though a British accent overall.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dd68 wrote: »
    I also thought that she sounds like a Londoner

That's definitely not a London accent. More of a Devon one, like Cindy's.
  • Options
    Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Her first actress for the one episode was very foreign. Since she got recast and became a full time recurring character rather then recurring guest she can speak foreign but with more on an English accent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her first actress for the one episode was very foreign. Since she got recast and became a full time recurring character rather then recurring guest she can speak foreign but with more on an English accent.

I never even noticed she'd been recast!! LOL
  • Options
    stick_of_rockstick_of_rock Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firegazer wrote: »
    That's definitely not a London accent. More of a Devon one, like Cindy's.

Cindy definitely doesn't have a Devonian accent.

(source: me. I live in Plymouth)
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    craig_25 wrote: »
    I agree. Her accent is definitely changing but it isn't as jarring as the overnight change we saw in Vicky. It wouldn't be unrealistic for her to mimic her peers to try to fit in.

I went to boarding school hundreds of miles from home when I was 10. My family were decidedly working class, Yorkshire coal merchants and I was surrounded by upper middle class rich kids. I soon learned to adjust my accent to fit in with them. I spoke one way at school and one way at home. Even now, living in London and working in corporate finance, I have an accent for work and one for when I visit my family and friends in Yorkshire.

Yes, i was brought up in Essex by parents who had both lost their regional accents at University in the 50s (part of the education process back then) - mum was RP and Dad was actually posh as he had gone to a private school by getting a scholarship but i mixed with very Essex children. However all my family were in TEeside or durham and as they rang every day and we still went up a lot my accent was a bit of a hotchpotch. Even now people have trouble placing where i'm from and a North eastern 'lilt' emerges within just a couple of hours of meeting up with relatives or going back up there. It's not deliberate, i just have the kind of ear that easily picks up accents and 'mimics' them without meaning to.

But it is not an instant shift with a perfect full accent like we got with Vicki.

This debate also going on with corrie presently (should Bethany have an Italian accent) and i've been maintaining that everybody is different - some people will quickly 'adopt' a new accent to 'fit in' - others will have their original so ingrained it doesn't change, especially if the people they are living with keep their original accent. So a kid will have conflicting influences - their peers at School who have the 'new' accent and often their parents at home that have the 'old' one and they could go either way or get an odd mixture of both.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By the end of the year Ineta will be doing Cockney rhyming slang and Mick will be offering her a cup of Rosie.

Oh and I found the clip of Scarlett Alice Johnson's first appearance as Vicki. The way she said supper was just excruciating for some reason. With Martin and Rebecca back, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing her return. At least she'd have family on the Square, including Sharon (adoptive sister).
  • Options
    firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vicki was dreadful because even that American accent never seemed legit then overnight she was suddenly British, it was bizarre.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cindy definitely doesn't have a Devonian accent.

(source: me. I live in Plymouth)

I said she has a Devon accent. Not a Plymouth accent. Completely different.

Plus Cindy has grown up in Devon so it's understandable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More proof of this tonight.

AND her mum is probably on her way to doing Cockney rhyming in six months lol.