Options

What do you consider "rich"?

RichTeaBiscuitRichTeaBiscuit Posts: 541
Forum Member
✭✭
We all hear a lot about "tax the rich", "Tories only help the rich" and "The rich get richer and the poor get poorer".

What do you consider rich? More specifically, why do you consider that rich?

Would anything change your opinion of what you consider rich?

Comments

• Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's hard to quantify.

I guess for rich I would say they would own at least two cars. Own their own home. Have over 200k savings. Go abroad at least three times a year. Umm live in an affluent area
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    Not many people would describe themselves as rich. Lottery winners, perhaps, and didn't Robbie Williams say he was rich after signing his record deal? That was for £78 million. Im not sure that having just one million makes you rich, especially if its all tied up in one house in the South East. Where i live, that wont buy you a middle class family home. Rich people have their own swimming pool, dont have to go to work, have a housekeeper and possibly a nanny as well.
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The best I can think off the top of my head is that you're rich if you can go into a designer clothes shop or high-end electrical goods shop and buy something (or things) without really needing to check the price.
  • Options
    EELoverEELover Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Net worth greater than 5-10 million I guess, enough so that owning your house doesn't make it a huge/major part of your overall assets. Change in house prices would make me modify this view (because of them I don't consider a millionaire rich anymore, I would have 20 years ago).
  • Options
    Ellie666Ellie666 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you're rich when you don't think about money - wether you're a millionaire or a multi millionaire is irrelevant
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    CBFreak wrote: »
    That's hard to quantify.

I guess for rich I would say they would own at least two cars. Own their own home. Have over 200k savings. Go abroad at least three times a year. Umm live in an affluent area

Blimey, i just need to save up then! Ive got 4 cars, plus a couple of motorbikes, and travel a lot. My most recent car cost me 700 euros though, and is 63 years old, rusty, and immobile.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol i used to think anyone earning over 40k was rich when i was 20
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone who never has to turn right when they board a plane.
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MAW wrote: »
    Blimey, i just need to save up then! Ive got 4 cars, plus a couple of motorbikes, and travel a lot. My most recent car cost me 700 euros though, and is 63 years old, rusty, and immobile.

You're loaded mate :D
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich is when you can make decisions without thinking about the cost.
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    I'd say a household income of over 200k a year is rich. Beyond that you get into the realms of very rich right up to obscenely wealthy,

Of course you could also be rich by having a few million sat in the bank and sitting on your arse all day.
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ellie666 wrote: »
    you're rich when you don't think about money - wether you're a millionaire or a multi millionaire is irrelevant

I agree, though I'd probably stick a lower limit of at least 40k household income on it.

I spent my Saturday night with a lot of Londoners who mostly earn more or the same as me. Difference is that living in the Midlands I don't have to think twice about my income, as I know my expenditure never comes close to exceeding it.
  • Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say say if you've got enough to buy the things most people need to save up or get a loan for and still have enough to live then you're rich. I'm not sure what the figure would be because i think it depends where you live.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    I'd say a household income of over 200k a year is rich. Beyond that you get into the realms of very rich right up to obscenely wealthy,

A mere £100K or £150K doesn't cut it then?
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We all hear a lot about "tax the rich", "Tories only help the rich" and "The rich get richer and the poor get poorer".

What do you consider rich? More specifically, why do you consider that rich?

Would anything change your opinion of what you consider rich?

You can be financially "rich" but poor in so many other areas. Richness of life is not for me simply down to pure numbers on the bank statement. Another thing with apparently rich people is how they often have a lot of debts to pay back as well, trying to accumulate wealth through risk and all that goes with it. Plus I know people who earn an utter fortune and waste it constantly, whereas others who live by modest means know how to manage their money and spend and use it wisely. For what it might be worth from a man who is clearly worth many millions of pounds himself, Noel Edmonds on Deal Or No Deal often has said to players that a sum in the region of £50,000 will make them "very wealthy". It depends what you want out of money in your life I suppose after the obligatory outgoings.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We're a rich country, so depending on outgoings, I would say if you're in the top 10% of earners you'd be pretty rich.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having enough money to be able to live as you want without financial restrictions or concerns. Or alternatively: Having access to more money than you are ever likely to need.

But I'll add my customary note of caution here: Most rich people do not horde their wealth. They don't build houses from gold bricks nor use currency as fuel in fires. Most of their wealth is invested in financial instruments and as such it underpins and helps fuel the greater economy. A billionaire - even if they lie around by the pool all day - is probably doing more to promote and grow his country's economy than any of us 'wage slaves'.
  • Options
    .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    To consider myself rich I would;

- be living mortgage free or with a small mortgage
    - can afford not to work
    - have enough money to buy anything I want within reason without having to be save up for it (holidays, cars, an additional house etc)
    - live in an affluent area
    - Have enough to do all of that and have a large safety net financially.

To consider myself comfortable I would:

- have a small or easily manageable mortgage
    - be able to afford most things I want, but still have to save for the bigger purchases.
    - have a comfortable safety net financially.
  • Options
    SkycladSkyclad Posts: 3,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I depends on your comparison.

I would imagine the majority of us here appear rich to a starving child in India.

Personally, I would say if you can afford to purchase 2 luxury items in a year then you are rich.
  • Options
    .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    alan29 wrote: »
    Rich is when you can make decisions without thinking about the cost.

I dunno, I'd say a lot of rich people DO think about money and costs all the time, which for some is part of the reason why they are rich.

I wouldn't say I know anyone properly rich, but certainly well off and they watch their money like a hawk. They are always watching what it's doing and moving it around to make more money.
  • Options
    PoppySeedPoppySeed Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a difference between comfortable and rich. My ex husband earned a lot of money (circa £400k per annum) and although we were very comfortable we weren't rich in as much as we couldn't afford to travel first class on planes, I didn't shop in designer shops (although I could go to high-end high street stores) or have the top suites in hotels etc. we were comfortable or more probably affluent. Of course now he's my ex I shop at primark and Aldi😄
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich is difficult to get a handle on but in money terms I think it applies to multi millionaires, (not including the value of a house). I think for everyday purposes what many people are describing as rich I'd call wealthy or well off. ie high disposable income etc. Household income above 60 thousand maybe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bart4858 wrote: »
    A mere £100K or £150K doesn't cut it then?

Not across a household in London or the South East. £60k to £100k i would say you were comfortable. £100k to £200k would be wealthy. And as i said, over £200k is rich.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    PoppySeed wrote: »
    There is a difference between comfortable and rich. My ex husband earned a lot of money (circa £400k per annum) and although we were very comfortable we weren't rich in as much as we couldn't afford to travel first class on planes, I didn't shop in designer shops (although I could go to high-end high street stores) or have the top suites in hotels etc. we were comfortable or more probably affluent. Of course now he's my ex I shop at primark and Aldi😄

It shows how relative these things are as 95% of people would class someone earning 400k a year as very rich.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    whedon247 wrote: »
    lol i used to think anyone earning over 40k was rich when i was 20

Lol :D And of course, when you're 30, it's anything over 60k and when your 40 it's anything over 80k....and so on.

"Rich" is a relative term. It means "substantially more assets than me".