cooking lambs hearts for dogs...

2»

Comments

• rosemaryrosemary Posts: 11,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I braved the organic butchers yesterday, and got a bag of chicken livers which I was assured dogs loved, I tiped them into a cassorle dish with some carrots and put them in the oven

Once they had cooled gave a few to danny with his chicken

He's eaten every tiny peice of chicken and left the livers in the bowl :rolleyes:

But, Rosie has had a little nibble and seems to like them....so does anybody know if they are ok for cats? because if they are, she may as well have the rest of them..if not, theres another treat coming my mums dogs way :D
  • xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i was told mine would love chicken livers too - they both wouldn't touch it :D

ended up giving them to my mate for her ferrets

as for cats, they're a meat product so i don't see why not
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rosemary wrote: »
    I braved the organic butchers yesterday, and got a bag of chicken livers which I was assured dogs loved, I tiped them into a cassorle dish with some carrots and put them in the oven

Once they had cooled gave a few to danny with his chicken

He's eaten every tiny peice of chicken and left the livers in the bowl :rolleyes:

But, Rosie has had a little nibble and seems to like them....so does anybody know if they are ok for cats? because if they are, she may as well have the rest of them..if not, theres another treat coming my mums dogs way :D

I only cook the chicken livers for a few minutes my dogs love them chopped up and bit warm. My cats like them too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no problem with feeding raw meat & offal to dogs. Hearts are just one big muscle anyway, the same as any muscle meat, they just don't look as "nice" as we can see the whole organ. Plus hearts have strange meanings for us humans!!

I think if you feed your dog raw human grade meat, there should be no problem with any bacteria ~ their guts are designed to cope with raw meat as others have said. There could be a risk of worms but most healthy dogs wouldn't get ill from a worm infestation & can be regularly wormed if you are worried.

Most of the dogs I know happily munch horse poo, cow poo etc when we're out on walks, will eat a dead rabbit (or roll in it if you're unlucky!!) with no ill effects.

Obviously if your dog has a compromised immune system or perhaps is on antibiotics, they may be slightly more at risk but even then, they are still designed to eat raw meat & it's much better for them.

Having said that my dogs are about to have the leftovers from the sunday roast for breakfast as a special treat!
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SylviaB wrote: »
    I bought a biggish packet of sliced lambs' liver and two packets of minced steak in Tesco today for my dogs and I put it in two casserole dishes with some water and Oxo cubes, put lids on and cooked it in the oven, just in case it smelled awful/offal! After it cooled down I divided each of it into three and put two lots of each in the freezer so that I'll just give them some mixed in with their dry food a couple of times a week for a change!

Oxo cubes are too salty for dogs I think.
  • malaikahmalaikah Posts: 20,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    Not exactly dog food

I know we love our mutts but people they aint!
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »

They are a bit salty for humans!!!:D

We try to give treats like offal & meat to the dogs raw. We'd like to move to a raw diet and they do get 'raw meaty bones'. They currently get a mix of dry kibble & premium wet food, raw and suitable 'table scraps' - though not in the same meal.

After today though I think we are going to move to a total Raw diet.

Hansel doesn't travel well. It took a long time to get him to go more than a few metres in the car without being sick. Today we had a relapse - probably because last time he was in the car he ended up at the vets and had his balls cut off. He was fed at 7:00am. I took him to the vet at 4:00 pm. His stomach contents (which ended up on my coat:rolleyes:) was recognizably his breakfast kibble. Paler colour & half the size, but still kibble shaped.

That can't be good or natural - 9 hours and only half digested?

Tinned sardine and grated carrot for breakfast tomorrow.
  • malaikahmalaikah Posts: 20,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stressmonkey I can recommend a fantastic Yahoo group if you like. The font of much BARF knowledge! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Hi
    I would be very interested in the link for the yahoo group as I am just starting on a raw diet for my GSD. Any tips and advice would be very welcome.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    We used to boil up pigs hearts for our dogs nad they loved it,but best of all was tripe,its really good for dogs,but oh my god it stinks:eek::eek:
  • xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haha, yeah

boiled the girl up a heart earlier on, pinch of bisto, bit of water, few bits of pasta & some whizzed up veggies, loved it.