BBC Iplayer beta release date

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
Forum Member
I found this article this morning on the techradar site:

HDTV News
BBC iPlayer for Freesat given beta launch date
7 December for VOD service
By Patrick Goss

The BBC's iPlayer has will launch in beta on Freesat from December 7, with ITV's VOD service launching on the satellite platform in the first half of 2010.

Anyone with a Freesat HD TV or Freesat HD box (and ethernet connection) will be able to get the iPlayer service eventually, although the beta is only for journalists and partners for the time being.

"During the initial stage of [the] beta, selected journalists and partners will be able to access the service using a code," explains the official release.

Full launch before Christmas?

"We hope as many Freesat viewers as possible will be able to use the service by Christmas and without the need for a code," it continues.

BBC iPlayer on Freesat has been talked about for a long time, but the belated arrival of the service is still a key moment for the platform.

Freesat HD boxes and TVs will become a hybrid IPTV/Satellite service – giving full video on demand through the Ethernet internet connection and linear 'live' television through the satellite.

A minimum connection speed of 1Mb/s is needed, with 2Mb/s needed for the highest available quality – although this may eventually become better.

Sky is also working on a hybrid solution for its own boxes, but has not yet announced when such a product will be launched.

Delight

Emma Scott, Freesat's Managing Director, comments, "We're delighted to be able to offer BBC iPlayer to our viewers.

"All the HD receivers that have been bought and will be sold in the run up to Christmas will deliver BBC iPlayer so there'll no need to buy any new receivers.

"There's a great schedule of programmes be available on BBC iPlayer in the lead up to Christmas with the likes of The Gruffalo, the EastEnders Special and Doctor Who.

"BBC iPlayer has been fantastically successful online so being able to offer viewers the ability to watch it in their living room on a subscription free TV service for the first time will be transformational.

"We'd like to thank the BBC for all their hard work bringing the service onto our platform."

The service can be launched through the red button on BBC channels

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    microvent wrote: »
    Freesat HD boxes and TVs will become a hybrid IPTV/Satellite service – giving full video on demand through the Ethernet internet connection and linear 'live' television through the satellite.

As this thread is indicating that the i-player will "shortly" be available with Freesat. Can somebody explain what we will have to do to get it. I dont understand the bit about Ethernet connection.

Thanks

Robert
  • Options
    BerwhaleBerwhale Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    As this thread is indicating that the i-player will "shortly" be available with Freesat. Can somebody explain what we will have to do to get it. I dont understand the bit about Ethernet connection.

Thanks

Robert

iPlayer content will be delivered to the Freesat boxes via broadband internet. Typically, a broadband router is used to connect PCs, consoles and other devices in your home to the internet. These connections can be either wired or wireless. Wired connections use a standard networking protocol called Ethernet. As far as i'm aware, all existing Freesat boxes only support wired connections.

So, you will need to run a cable from your broadband router to your Freesat box in order to enjoy iPlayer functionality.

If this is a problem for you, there a couple of alternatives. Firstly, you can buy HomePlug adapters that allow you to transmit Ethernet signals though your home electrical wiring. Secondly, wireless bridges are available that do the same sort of thing, but the signal is transmitted like a radio signal (it's actually in the microwave band, but don't worry, it's at much too low power to cook the dog).

However, both of these solutions can have problems and performance will depend on your particular circumstances.

For example, Homeplug can be affected by electrical noise on the mains wires - power adapters and phone chargers being major offenders here. Wireless can be subject to interference from DECT cordless phones, baby monitors and the like which all use a similar frequency to transmit.
  • Options
    Pugwash69Pugwash69 Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "BBC iPlayer has been fantastically successful online so being able to offer viewers the ability to watch it in their living room on a subscription free TV service for the first time will be transformational.

I already watch it on my XBMC's, the PS3 or the Wii. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pugwash69 wrote: »
    I already watch it on my XBMC's, the PS3 or the Wii. :confused:

I have it on the HTPC and Wii, but they're not left on all the time like the HDR. I'm hoping it will feel a bit more 'accessible' on the Freesat box (my Harmony remote has packed up and changing to the HTPC or Wii involves quite a bit of 'remote juggling').
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    @Berwhale

Many thanks for the very comprehensive reply.

I have a broadband modem that feeds a wireless router, can I simply run a cable from the w/router to the Foxsat?

Thanks

Robert
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have a broadband modem that feeds a wireless router, can I simply run a cable from the w/router to the Foxsat?

Yes, you can.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    @Berwhale

Many thanks for the very comprehensive reply.

Thanks

Robert

Posts over on Join Freesat suggest that Homeplugs (networking over the mains) might be withdrawn due to interference generated. There is a more balanced article on the Guardian website. http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2008/oct/20/1 - sounds like the guys kicking off on Join Freesat might well be Radio Hams.

Still a "real wire" is definitely the best if you can run one - I do feel like a fool having run one 12 months ago for the Foxsat with hope of fairly imminent use.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Posts over on Join Freesat suggest that Homeplugs (networking over the mains) might be withdrawn due to interference generated. There is a more balanced article on the Guardian website. http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2008/oct/20/1 - sounds like the guys kicking off on Join Freesat might well be Radio Hams.

Still a "real wire" is definitely the best if you can run one - I do feel like a fool having run one 12 months ago for the Foxsat with hope of fairly imminent use.

I bought a couple of the expensive Netgear HD homeplugs when they came out. I got very poor performance, even though my wiring is less than 10 years old. I was barely able to stream standard definition from my server, HD was definitely out and the EMI from the devices made a nearby battery operated FM radio unusable.

Running 2 lengths of CAT5e down a garden hose has been a much better replacement (my server is in a 19" rack in the garage at the end of the garden.

My HDR has also been connected since I got it. I'd run two cables down from the switch in the loft before I got it (one for HDR, one for HTPC) :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Berwhale wrote: »
    my Harmony remote has packed up

Ouch! I have my old one in case the new one fails. :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I run an XBMC for standard def. just fine on a homeplug link to the bedroom
  • Options
    neil79neil79 Posts: 535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that i player is a very silly idea. Choking the internet with people downloading TV programs is stupid when people can record them on a PVR :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Choking the internet yes I agree but the idea itself is great. Can you honestly say that you record everthing that you want to see? I-player allows you to watch the stuff you didn't get round to recording. Anyway consider yourself lucky, I live in germany so I won't be able to view the content :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    aspiadas wrote: »
    I live in germany so I won't be able to view the content :(

I don't know if you listen to BBC radio, but if you do, it looks like you might be at least be able to have that on iplayer - normally most of the radio services are able to be received independent of country, so they will also be available there I would have thought through the Humax box?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4223086.stm

Although personally, I don't see myself viewing iplayer tv services, I do sometimes listen to the "listen again" again radio services.

Patrick
  • Options
    MOBMOB Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    Berwhale wrote: »
    I bought a couple of the expensive Netgear HD homeplugs when they came out. I got very poor performance, even though my wiring is less than 10 years old. I was barely able to stream standard definition from my server, HD was definitely out and the EMI from the devices made a nearby battery operated FM radio unusable.

Running 2 lengths of CAT5e down a garden hose has been a much better replacement (my server is in a 19" rack in the garage at the end of the garden.

My HDR has also been connected since I got it. I'd run two cables down from the switch in the loft before I got it (one for HDR, one for HTPC) :)

I am using Netgear homeplugs (supplied by Freesat) for the iplayer trial & the performance is great. The run is only about 15 ft. but I have them both plugged into an adapter (not recommended for top quality), I have idect phones in both rooms, and also use X10 signals on the electrical circuit.
  • Options
    ovbgovbg Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aspiadas wrote: »
    I live in germany so I won't be able to view the content :(

Same problem here. I am wondering if there is an easy way to go via a proxy and not affect my normal internet service.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    sorry to be thick.....but I'm just wondering

My b/band router is in one part of the house and my Freesat box in another part. The mains supplies in the two rooms is off different consumer boxes - so I am guessing that 'ethernet down mains cables' wont work.

As I have a wireless router isnt there any way I can have a wireless network adapter and plug that into the ethernet socket on the Humax and get iplayer??

I think I know the answer is going to be no, but I am still hoping...........
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ianosborne wrote: »
    sorry to be thick.....but I'm just wondering

My b/band router is in one part of the house and my Freesat box in another part. The mains supplies in the two rooms is off different consumer boxes - so I am guessing that 'ethernet down mains cables' wont work.

As I have a wireless router isnt there any way I can have a wireless network adapter and plug that into the ethernet socket on the Humax and get iplayer??

I think I know the answer is going to be no, but I am still hoping...........

The answer is yes. There probably are cheaper ways with some kind of adaptor but a wifi router operating in briging mode will work. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_bridge
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if you listen to BBC radio, but if you do, it looks like you might be at least be able to have that on iplayer - normally most of the radio services are able to be received independent of country, so they will also be available there I would have thought through the Humax box?
    Patrick

I am in Germany and have a Playstation with BBC iPlayer. The TV content is blocked but radio is fine so I think you may be right with the Freesat.

I'm trying to investigate proxy services as my Freesat box already has a network cable plugged in to it. I'm happy to pay a monthly fee for reliable service too. If anyone has any suggestions, then please PM me.
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone actually confirmed that the freesat iplayer service will include radio. How about one of the beta testers confirming this.
  • Options
    Young TurksYoung Turks Posts: 3,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Full launch before Christmas?

"We hope as many Freesat viewers as possible will be able to use the service by Christmas and without the need for a code," it continues.

BBC iPlayer on Freesat has been talked about for a long time, but the belated arrival of the service is still a key moment for the platform.

My £67 investment of Freesat HD box looks more attractive every day :rolleyes: When I bought Humax 9200 Freeview PVR I thought that was the best gadget I ever bought, Freesat with Free HD and coming up on demand really looks as promising.

The only doubt I have is that I have a laptop with HDMI out and sometimes I connect it to my LCD to watch IPlayer, but I find the picture quality of full screen, is just a bit better than you tube!

So I use the smaller original Iplayer screen to keep the picture quality but then the picture size looks a bit small for 32" LCD.

The important question is;

Will we be able to watch Iplayer with full screen without compromising the picture quality?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    The answer is yes. There probably are cheaper ways with some kind of adaptor but a wifi router operating in briging mode will work. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_bridge

so if I've got this right......

I have 2 routers (only one in use at moment) ....

I could have one plugged into the BT line and take the ehternet outs for my homeoffice PCs, the other router could be in the room with the Humax box and that can be set up to recieve the wireless output from the first and then I can plug the Humax into the second box??

Would the second router also send out wireless or would it just be a receiver?

I have a spare BT router at the moment and use a LinkSys WAG54GS as my wireles router, but would probably change so that the BT box was the box plugged into the line and the LinkSys used as the 'remote' router. Hey this means I could also plug in my BluRay BD live as well doesnt it.

If I have understood this correctly I am smiling. NOw need to find out if / how I need to set things up for this to work.

Thanks for the help
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I could have one plugged into the BT line and take the ehternet outs for my homeoffice PCs, the other router could be in the room with the Humax box and that can be set up to recieve the wireless output from the first and then I can plug the Humax into the second box??

Would the second router also send out wireless or would it just be a receiver?

I have a spare BT router at the moment and use a LinkSys WAG54GS as my wireles router, but would probably change so that the BT box was the box plugged into the line and the LinkSys used as the 'remote' router. Hey this means I could also plug in my BluRay BD live as well doesnt it.

If I have understood this correctly I am smiling. NOw need to find out if / how I need to set things up for this to work.

Thanks for the help
    It will act as a wireless access point in bridge mode, and provided it has some ethernet ports (it should have), then you can connect devices up to it via cat5e cable as well (your HDR).

I set my daughter's student house up like this as it was over 4 floors and needed a repeater/bridge to work on all floors, as well as the router into the dsl line downstairs.

Beware, though, some router makes will not work with other router makes in Bridge Mode. But, you've got nothing to lose by trying.

Rgds.

Les.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member

You've got next to no chance of this working. In order for routers to do what you're asking, they would need to support WDS, don't think either of your routers do this, google for WDS and start learning!

http://www.lanshop.co.uk/productcategorydetail.aspx?categoryid=55738 is more likely the simplest fix for you, these are older units but should work, seen them on google for less than £20. Essentially a wi-fi > ethernet adapter.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The question for me of course is, will this work with my Panasonic freesat TV that I bought back in January? It has an ethernet port, but is it otherwise compatible?
  • Options
    GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    --Mark-- wrote: »

I looked at these but unfortunately they only support 64 and 128-bit WEP encryption so would require me to downgrade my network security.