Options

Catcher In The Rye

OneTreeHillFanOneTreeHillFan Posts: 7,725
Forum Member
I recently read this book in school as part of my GCSE coursework, and unlike most texts i read in school i found myself really enjoying it :) And with the news that JD Salinger has died...
Just wandered who else had read it and what they thought of it? :D

Comments

• Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I was too old when I read it - or at the wrong stage in my life or something. I read it at about 22, and I just wanted to slap Holden bloody Caulfield for being such an immature annoying teenager.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved it. Read it first when I was quite a young teenager, so I didn't 'get' Holden at first. Then as I got older, more and more of the book made sense to me. There was a couple of years where I really identified with him. Part of me still does, but for the most part I've gone past my 'Catcher' stage. Still love the book though.
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    I think I was too old when I read it - or at the wrong stage in my life or something. I read it at about 22, and I just wanted to slap Holden bloody Caulfield for being such an immature annoying teenager.

Me too, I hope I wasnt as annoying. there was a bit in the book that made me feel sick and it still sticks out - somebody eating cabbage with their mouth open :eek::eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read it last year when I was 17, and I didn't really understand why it's considered such a classic. It's an enjoyable enough book and a fairly quick read, but not something I'd consider to be anything particularly special.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't finish it. Not sure if all the hype put m,e off but I got about 1/4 of the way through and was bored to tears and gave up.

My OH can't believe it as it's one of his favourite books ever.
  • Options
    MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love The Catcher In The Rye, and Salinger's recent death has prompted me to dust off my old copy that I read when I was 20. I remember the first time I read it, I could barely put it down - it's intense, first-person narrative style where you read Holden's every thought and move really intoxicating, and it was one of those books where I almost felt myself 'living inside' it whilst reading, always my benchmark for great book. I think it captures that anxiety that most people experience when their school days suddenly come to an end, and you have to go out and cope in the big bad adult world on your own, whilst your still learning about yourself emotionally and how you 'fit-in' with the rest of society.

A 'few' years on, older and wiser(?), perhaps I may well reavulate the novel somewhat after re-reading, but for me I will always regard TCITR as a brilliant, original piece of writing, a book of it's time maybe, but one that can still say a lot about young human nature 60 years after first publication. How often do books like that come along? All to rarely in my view.
  • Options
    ninz39ninz39 Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    newwoman wrote: »
    I didn't finish it. Not sure if all the hype put m,e off but I got about 1/4 of the way through and was bored to tears and gave up.

thats what happened to me, i wanted to suppport my daughter who is reading it for her gcse, but alas i just couldn't make it...i havent told her though
  • Options
    StudmuffinStudmuffin Posts: 4,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »

I read it at 18 and thought Holden was a spoilt ungrateful little turd :o
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Currently re-reading it. The writing is tremendous but I'm at a lose as to why there is so much fuss about this book. The story is mundane at best. Whilst its not the best book ever written I certainly can't believe it keeps coming up on lists of favourites. I believe a recent survey suggested it was the favourite book named by men. Compared to the far superior story contasin within 'Of Mice and Men' it has little to offer. I could quite easily beat Holden to a pulp for his general attitude. :o
  • Options
    nagel84nagel84 Posts: 13,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Read it some time ago and thought it was quite superb. One of the few novels I would seriously consider re-reading. :)
  • Options
    ArtymagsArtymags Posts: 18,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've read it and re-read it.

It had a profound influence on me as a teeenager and I had new insights into it when I became the mother of a teenager myself.

I'll never get tired of it.

It is one of the books that has shaped my life.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read it as an adult - in one sitting - it was a fantastic read!!

I did have a few books that I studied (both at GCSE and A'Level that I still ove to this day)

Of Mice and Men being one and A Handmaids Tale is another. Both would make my top 20!!
  • Options
    muppeteermuppeteer Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was a good book, but personally I wouldn't mark it out as an all time classic - it does give a good insight into the mind of a teenager but I don't think it's memorable enough to get all the praise it does. But yeah, an entertaining read.
  • Options
    OneTreeHillFanOneTreeHillFan Posts: 7,725
    Forum Member
    I think the reason it's so famous was because when it was written it was the first book that was written like a teenager would speak... At least that's what my english teacher said...:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    I read it at 15.

I have since read it again every few years and I'm now in my 40's.

It would be top of any literature list for me. The more you read it, and the older you get, the more you 'get' it.

It's insight into various aspects of life still surprise me each time I read it.
  • Options
    SquishySquishy Posts: 2,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did for A Level and found it ok. Not as life-changing as everyone maintains, and yes he did whinge a lot.

But it's not bad :)
  • Options
    lux lisbon 2lux lisbon 2 Posts: 6,273
    Forum Member
    I read it first at 14 and have re-read it every year since '91and I never tire of it. I can honestly say that I never noticed that Holden was such a moany, navel gazing, self-grandiosing brat until the posters pointed that out, maybe I am still living in my adolescence and need to grow up!