Questionnaire for my Dissertation on Labrador Weights

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
Forum Member
I am currently studying my BSc (Hons) in Animal Management at Askham Bryan College York. This course requires me to carry out research for my dissertation and I want to look at Labrador weights in relation to different factors. I would want to see if age, sex, neuter status, working dogs, and dogs living in multi dog house holds affect their weights.

Please could you fill this questionnaire in if you own a Labrador or if you know someone who does please forward it onto them. Any help would be really appreciated :D

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/2ZP66NF

Comments

• bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Done :)
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Done.

Is this something to do with the theory that neutered dogs put on weight?
    I have a Lab' and a Spaniel, both neutered and who've never put on much weight as a result.

Regarding the survey, it might have been better to ask about the size of the dog too.
    My own lab' is a thoroughbred but she's a fairly small example of the breed so she's going to be a fair bit lighter than another dog who's larger but has a similar level of fitness.
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't have a Lab, so not done the survey.

But have you taken into account not just whether the dog works, but if it is a working type or show type? There could be a genetic factor to weight gain.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Filled in for a friend but hers is very small for the breed and kept light due to HD as too much weight makes her hips worse.
  • Harry BoatHarry Boat Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    Done.
  • MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't have a Lab, so not done the survey.

But have you taken into account not just whether the dog works, but if it is a working type or show type? There could be a genetic factor to weight gain.

This really is important, all our pet labs over man years are now in 'the basket in the sky', but the difference in build is huge. Ours were all from light-boned working stock, built for lean power and speed, whereas the show dogs have those big, square heads, fat chests and chunky legs. You can have a pet lab bred originally from working stock that will have inherited the lighter frame, particularly bitches.
    Just to upset owners of golden labradors, I think these are pretty ga-ga smiley doggies. In order of lab intelligence you have 1. Black labs 2 Choc labs 999 Golden labs.:D
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MargMck wrote: »
    This really is important, all our pet labs over man years are now in 'the basket in the sky', but the difference in build is huge. Ours were all from light-boned working stock, built for lean power and speed, whereas the show dogs have those big, square heads, fat chests and chunky legs. You can have a pet lab bred originally from working stock that will have inherited the lighter frame, particularly bitches.
    Just to upset owners of golden labradors, I think these are pretty ga-ga smiley doggies. In order of lab intelligence you have 1. Black labs 2 Choc labs 999 Golden labs.:D

Just to be pedantic, its Yellow Lab - Not Golden:)